Currys delivery charge

Options
Went into currys yesterday as my fridge/freezer had died and i need another one urgently. There is one currently on offer for £210 which i was going to order and arrange for my hubby to pick up that afternoon as he has a large van. i was told that it was in stock but not in the shop and the only way i could get it was to pay £24 delivery. i was not at all happy so decided not to buy. on leaving the store there were 2 large vans outside collecting new appliances for delivery. not bad if you deliver 10 items a day. i did not stop to browse all the items being delivered. the only way i could get free delivery from in store was to wait 8-10 days for it to be delivered.

anyway i looked online at currys at the same fridge i wanted and decided to order it. surprise surprise i can get free delivery ordering on line for monday, which is one day away.

no wonder shops are going out of business or losing to internet sales. i must admit i look at things in store and then go and order online because there are so many discounts available.

i will never shop in a currys store again but do all my business online. i wonder how many people get caught out by this delivery charge!
Just about to give up!

Comments

• Kite2010
    Kite2010 Posts: 4,304 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker! Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    The store might have only had that 1 in stock which was being used as a display model, so would have had to order one in for you.

As for the delivery charge, how else are they meant to pay for fuel/running costs of the vans/wages for the drivers/insurance? If they don't charge for delivery they will just have to include the cost for delivery onto all the shelf prices for the larger "delivery" items.
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ten items a day @ £24 is £240, out of that they have to pay the for two wages and associated costs eg holiday pay and the costs of running a van
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Kite2010 wrote: »
    The store might have only had that 1 in stock which was being used as a display model, so would have had to order one in for you.

As for the delivery charge, how else are they meant to pay for fuel/running costs of the vans/wages for the drivers/insurance? If they don't charge for delivery they will just have to include the cost for delivery onto all the shelf prices for the larger "delivery" items.

Sorry but my local electrical store, not only is cheaper or price matches, but delivers free of charge when it suits you

That's prolly why they have moved in to bigger premises the past year and you see more of their vans delivering about here then you do the multinationals
  • Ich_2
    Ich_2 Posts: 1,087 Forumite
    Options
    Local store, for £10 will deliver, connect and remove old appliance. And is generally cheaper than Currys
  • ladude_2
    Options
    [/I]
    traceya89 wrote: »
    on leaving the store there were 2 large vans outside collecting new appliances for delivery. not bad if you deliver 10 items a day. i did not stop to browse all the items being delivered.

That's really strange considering Currys do not do home deliveries from store, they're done from a central location.

Do Amazon give free next day delivery? No. Do Appliances Online? No. Neither do many others. People seem to forget the running costs with deliveries.
  • ajones456
    Options
    ladude wrote: »
    [/I]

That's really strange considering Currys do not do home deliveries from store, they're done from a central location.

Not quite true, sometimes stores can be given loads of stock and can order something to be picked up from their stock and sent to a customer. If for example there is a great deal on a Fridge and they all sell out online but stores have some. Stores can order the stock to come from store.

Free delivery is available in stores but there is a a wait, as there is online.
  • libra10
    libra10 Posts: 18,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    We recently bought a separate fridge and freezer from Currys online.

As the items were over a certain amount 5% discount applied. The items were delivered free of charge, and old items recycled (also free of charge).

The items were delivered within two days, tracked and delivered within the time scale.

Their service was excellent.
  • HalfPint
    HalfPint Posts: 646 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    John Lewis not only currently price match any in store price, they offer 2 years warranty and delivery free of charge. :j

I only know cause I was in a similar situation just before xmas...JL were excellent and I got delivery in 3 days.

I'd highly recommend them (no I don't work for them, nor am I in any associated with them. I'm just a happy customer :D)

HP x
    DEBT FREE DATE: 05/02/2015!

Those things in life that we find the hardest to do, are the things we are the most thankful we did.
  • vyle
    vyle Posts: 2,379 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    suki1964 wrote: »
    Sorry but my local electrical store, not only is cheaper or price matches, but delivers free of charge when it suits you

That's prolly why they have moved in to bigger premises the past year and you see more of their vans delivering about here then you do the multinationals

My town used to have a company like that. They gave free five year guarantees on pretty much everything, free delivery, free setup, opened up two extra branches, and then one day, went bust.

It turned out that they were doing okay when they were a small family business with a small clutch of customers, because all they had to do was cut their own wages, because if the business won, the family won.

As they grew, they had to start paying for staff to keep up, and then had to buy in more stock and anticipate a much wider array of customer demands and more delivery dates, which required more vehicles and drivers.

It wasn't long before they were surviving off of business loans that they were never going to be able to pay back, but they kept expanding on the idea that all they needed were a few more customers to be fine.

My point is that you may look at the small local business who is offering a service that seems too good to be true, and thus assume that the big companies are trying to actively rip you off, but sometimes the small business may actually be dying financially and desperately trying to claw in customers to break even. You won't necessarily see it from the outside.
  • traceya89
    traceya89 Posts: 942 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    well the point i was trying to make was why do in store charge £24 delivery for next day delivery when by my ordering online i got next delivery free. internet ordering is obviously the way forward rather than going into a shop and ordering
    Just about to give up!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport