Easy open jars

Options
If like me you occasionaly find it difficult to open jam jars, you might like to look for those with easy open lids.

Quite by accident I found Duerr's jam has an easy open lid and their jam is very good. See here > http://www.duerrs.co.uk/ :T :T :T :T :T

++++++++

I do know that their are products on the market which help and tricks to help, see here > http://www.wikihow.com/Open-a-Difficult-Jar

You may be interested to note that in a study by University of Sheffield Executive Summary: Making Jam Jars Easier to Open - SPARC
97% of the population can open all jars between 55mm and 85mm in diameter without difficulty.
:rotfl:I must be one of the 3% :rotfl:
"A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:

Do you have difficulty opening jars? 24 votes

Frequently
50%
irisdibuzzukmaggie45Lola23Torry_Quinethe_rottweilerluxor4tPasturesNewalanqpollypennygreyfoxwelshbookworm 12 votes
Occasionally
33%
oramgepekoeChris25ManAtHomemissilebeedeedeedzug1Frogletinamountaingale 8 votes
Never
16%
esuhlBigglesmartinthebanditJethroUK 4 votes

Comments

• pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Frequently
    If I lived alone, I would have to ask shop assistants to open things like cough medicine bottles for me!
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    I have a multi gripper for opening jars, but have noticed some jars have sloping edges on the cap, so no grip. Considering someone DESIGNED the jar what a daft idea.
    And I like the coffee jars that have square tops. Easy peasy.
  • Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have a ridged flat round rubber circle about 5" across from Lakeland which opens most jars and bottles. A rubber glove will also work.
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,024 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm in the 'get a man / boy to do it' camp, but a) you do have to have a handy man or boy and b) you have to live with the pitying looks afterwards.

My Dad used to put the lid in the gap between door and door jamb, but this doesn't do the paintwork much good.

The thingummyjig from Lakeland works well, but if you also have a thin silicone pot holder or trivet that will do the same job.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Own_My_Own
    Own_My_Own Posts: 6,098 Forumite
    Xmas Saver!
    Options
    If you are going to use the whole jar, or you have something you could store the contents in, simply puncture the lid. This will break the vacuum and the lid will come off easily.

HTH

Obviously this does not work on bottles with a child safety lid .
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Frequently
    It's the bottles where you have to hold at a particular point, then press down, then turn which drive me mad!

Childproof , my foot! :p
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • Buggins
    Buggins Posts: 344 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Best advice I have been given is to bang the side of the lid! This releases the vacuum and makes it easy to unscrew lid. Luckily I have solid wood work surfaces...hth
  • thacky
    thacky Posts: 131 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Or run under the hot tap for a short while and this should also break the vacuum.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I once had to take a jar of jam back to the shop that I bought it from because whatever I tried I just cound not open it (although I didn't think of the puncturing the lid trick). Since then I always make sure at the shop that I can open the jar before buying.
  • yangptangkipperbang
    Options
    agrinnall wrote: »
    Since then I always make sure at the shop that I can open the jar before buying.

...........where do you shop ? just so I don't buy a jar that you have already opened !
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure