Making cash from online survey sites - new MSE guide

edited 28 January 2013 at 5:23PM in Boost Your Income
546 replies 241.9K views

Replies

• bigisibigisi
    925 posts
    ✭✭✭
    Blah blah blah

This site is no longer a trustworthy site, stay well clear.

No thanks, they are still my most profitable survey site and have been for over six years, £1500+p.a. consistently.

With that email it sounds like you weren’t answering honestly or missing too many attention checks.

I’ll carry on with them thanks all the same :)
  • jow6jow6 Forumite
    7 posts
    Hi all,

Sorry not sure if this is the right place to post this. I need, as I imagine a lot of other people do too, more money and to increase my income. I am aware of surveys (although advice over the best sites would be appreciated) and of the Lionbridge thing (for which I have applied and am now waiting for the exam) but I was wondering if anyone knew of any decent, sustained ways of getting a little bit more money either online or otherwise. I am currently without a reference so it is difficult to get an actual job without doing some volunteering in order to get one (I am currently setting this up).

Any tips or suggestions much appreciated.

L
  • edited 17 April 2019 at 4:07PM
    Willing2LearnWilling2Learn Forumite
    6.3K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 17 April 2019 at 4:07PM
    Hi,

I get between £150-£200/month doing surveys. My favourites are Prolific Academic and PopulusLive. Prolific Academic I find have the most interesting surveys and pay well, whilst PopulusLive usually send me a cheque for £50 for each month as their surveys pay well too.

Have a look at the MSE article Top 25 Online Survey Sites for lots of ideas.

Edit: And welcome to the forum. Good luck with the job-hunting and volunteering. I found volunteering was a gateway to learning new skills and sets you on the path to paid employment. :)
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • Marvqn1Marvqn1 Forumite
    550 posts
    What is the hourly rate of pay approx with Valued Opinions?
  • jow6jow6 Forumite
    7 posts
    Thanks for that Willingtolearn. I've signed up to the PopulousLive one but cannot see any surveys on it?
  • Marvqn1Marvqn1 Forumite
    550 posts
    jow6 wrote: »
    Thanks for that Willingtolearn. I've signed up to the PopulousLive one but cannot see any surveys on it?

PopulousLive send you an email when there is a survey available.
  • When recording the amount of income you make from surveys etc., is it only counted as income at the point when you actually redeem it, or would it still count when it's in your account on the website?
  • chelschels Forumite
    1.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    When recording the amount of income you make from surveys etc., is it only counted as income at the point when you actually redeem it, or would it still count when it's in your account on the website?

If you choose to declare it then I would say it can only be required when you actually receive the money.

The money is not really yours until you've claimed and are in receipt of it. Some survey companies cease and it's possible you may end up not being paid (hopefully few and far between!), imagine potentially being taxed on funds you never actually received! :eek:
    *2018*
    £s GAINED: Cash £168.25 Vouchers £30.00
    LBs LOST: 0 / 28
  • edited 1 June 2019 at 8:26AM
    SadlerWellsSadlerWells Forumite
    2 posts
    edited 1 June 2019 at 8:26AM
    I signed up for YouGov after reading about it on MSE. Once I started doing the surveys, the emails came through more frequently than once a month and I got into the swing of completing them in only a few minutes.. Some of the surveys only earn a chance to go into a prize draw so I ignore those. I only do the ones that earn points, and if I'm offered a short survey for extra points I always do them.
    I've just checked and it took less than eighteen months to earn £50, not bad for not doing much in a spare few minutes. However, the emails don't come quite so frequently now — not sure if it's because I've already had a payout or because I'm not the ideal profile!
  • droopsnoutdroopsnout Forumite
    3.6K posts
    I, too, have been having problems with New Vista Live. I've had exactly the same experience as olliebean. This was last November. I told them I didn't keep a record of the survey invitations that I had fully responded to, and eventually they checked through the invitation references that I sent them and sent me the £50 cheque that I was certainly entitled to.

I contacted them again recently because since November they have still not kept accurate records of my participation. I sent them a list of 42 survey invitations I had received since the last payment. Whilst I would have been screened out of one or two, and would have attempted a few surveys a bit too late, I can see no truth in the claim they made that I had completed only six of those forty-two surveys.

I am writing to them once again to request a sensible response. If I don't receive one, I'm leaving them. To stay with an outfit that uses terminological inexactitudes to avoid paying the folks who get their results would be plain daft!
    Much of the social history of the Western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. - Thomas Sowell, "Is Reality Optional?", 1993