Solar ... In the news

Options

Comments

• michaels
    michaels Posts: 28,020 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    lstar337 wrote: »
    Sorry to pull this thread off-topic, but do you know what happens in terms of battery ownership in a second hand leaf?

Vast majority of leafs are bought with the battery included rather than as a separate rental as happens with the Renault Zoe.

For the few that are battery rented a second owner either has to pay the battery lease or can buy the battery from nissan for a cost of 5k less 10% for each year old the car is.

Generally the dealers all buy the battery if they take in a leaf that is battery rental and sell the car as battery owned as selling the battery rental ones second hand is difficult.
    I think....
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    Isn't this blatant trolling and abuse? You can put us all on ignore you know.

Your definition of trolling is anyone who disagrees with you; or enters your domain. - and not only on this forum!

I merely pointed out - not to you - that this is a solar thread and not wind power. You have no need to post such silly remarks, but you cannot help yourself.

I have no need to ignore anybody's posts,(I note you speak for all of us) I quite like reading some of them. However if my input infuriates you, simply ignore my posts.
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,782 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've mentioned (somewhere) the idea of shipping sunlight from Australia to Japan, well now it's being suggested as an export market for India too:

How India Can Export Sunshine Around The World
    Solar energy is a free source of renewable energy that is sustainable and totally inexhaustible. It is also non-polluting and does not emit any greenhouse gases while producing electricity. Most people are aware of solar photovoltaics that generate electricity and solar panels that produce hot water. Now experts have developed techniques to convert sunlight into “Solar Fuels.”

The process to create “Solar Fuels” essentially involves exposing water molecules to sunlight to separate hydrogen and oxygen in water and then combining the hydrogen with carbon dioxide to create liquid fuels. The generated hydrogen can also be condensed under pressure at very low temperatures into a liquid hydrocarbon Fuels (LH2), simple hydrogen gas, metal hydride, or conversion to methanol.

Another option is to combine the hydrogen with nitrogen to make ammonia. It is a technique that is well-established, and has been done on an industrial scale for nearly a century. Ammonia can be compressed into a liquid at much more moderate temperatures, and is relatively easy to transport.

And from the other side of the pond:

US Energy Dept. Trolls Trump With Yuuuuuge Solar Energy Announcement Promoting Obama’s SunShot Initiative
    Trump Or Not, The Obama SunShot Initiative Lives On

The Energy Department certainly was not trying to slip the new announcement past the censors. They made a big deal out of it, unveiling the news on Tuesday to coordinate with the big Solar Power International conference in Las Vegas.

The gist of it is that, according to the agency’s figures, last month the average price of utility scale solar power fell to 6 cents per kilowatt-hour, which is the 2020 goal set by Obama for the SunShot Initiative.

Winning!
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Cardew wrote: »
    Your definition of trolling is anyone who disagrees with you; or enters your domain. - and not only on this forum!

I merely pointed out - not to you - that this is a solar thread and not wind power. You have no need to post such silly remarks, but you cannot help yourself.

I have no need to ignore anybody's posts,(I note you speak for all of us) I quite like reading some of them. However if my input infuriates you, simply ignore my posts.
    Cardew ...

You really must stop trolling now ... the irrelevance of your contributions is making you look totally ridiculous , as is the 'unexpected' return of the GC shadow ...

Thanking you in anticipation of your kind consideration of others.
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • Martyn1981
    Options
    just for fun, i thought i'd post a statement that my guardian troll posted about 20 to 30 times throughout july, to try to mislead folk with out of date information:-
    This is the Gov't prediction for 2030.
    Onshore wind to be in the range £45-72/MWh
    Offshore wind will be in the range £85-109/MWh
    For solar they predict £59-73/MW,
    Nuclear will be £69-99/MWh.

Just a small news update, my Guardian troll repeated the above outdated government assessment on Sunday, stayed very quiet on Monday(?) then on Tuesday posted this:
    This is the Gov't prediction for 2030.

.... can you spot the difference?

But more importantly, he's been fulling the comments with more anti-RE spin, and loads of anti tidal garbage now, quoting the Swansea tidal lagoon costs whilst failing to mention the far cheaper costs for the rest of the schemes.

I say this is important because for a year he's been repeatedly claiming to support renewables '100%', but this week hasn't made such a fake claim ....... so I may have to stop calling him a troll now - he's still spreading the same garbage and fake anti-RE spin as before (no law against being stupid) but may now have come out from under his bridge and reveled himself to not be '100%' in support of renewables.

One less troll can only be a good thing.

Only mentioning this to complete the story and to show how the constant progress of renewables will defeat all silly people eventually, and in fairness I have been warning this guy all year that maintaining his 'position' would be very difficult post September CfD results, but I don't think he believed I knew what I was talking about.

Hopefully PV and wind are now too far ahead to still be attacked, and this is yet another tipping point that in the real world (not my silly argument world with anti-RE chappies) will help to accelerate rollout and progress. 2017 really has been a significant year all over the World.

RE - gotta love it.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 28,020 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've mentioned (somewhere) the idea of shipping sunlight from Australia to Japan, well now it's being suggested as an export market for India too:

How India Can Export Sunshine Around The World

I'm thinking the gulf states already have infrastructure to ship liquefied gases, have an abundance of sunshine that falls onto land with little or no alternative use and are likely to be looking for a replacement to the export of extracted hydrocarbons to support their economies.

Surely that can be made to work....
    I think....
  • Nicolai_Grenovski
    Options
    Just a small news update, my Guardian troll repeated the above outdated government assessment on Sunday, stayed very quiet on Monday(?) then on Tuesday posted this: “This is the Gov't prediction for 2030.
    ” .... can you spot the difference?
    But more importantly, he's been fulling the comments with more anti-RE spin, and loads of anti tidal garbage now, quoting the Swansea tidal lagoon costs whilst failing to mention the far cheaper costs for the rest of the schemes.
    I say this is important because for a year he's been repeatedly claiming to support renewables '100%', but this week hasn't made such a fake claim ....... so I may have to stop calling him a troll now - he's still spreading the same garbage and fake anti-RE spin as before (no law against being stupid) but may now have come out from under his bridge and reveled himself to not be '100%' in support of renewables.
    One less troll can only be a good thing.
    Only mentioning this to complete the story and to show how the constant progress of renewables will defeat all silly people eventually, and in fairness I have been warning this guy all year that maintaining his 'position' would be very difficult post September CfD results, but I don't think he believed I knew what I was talking about.

Hopefully PV and wind are now too far ahead to still be attacked, and this is yet another tipping point that in the real world (not my silly argument world with anti-RE chappies) will help to accelerate rollout and progress. 2017 really has been a significant year all over the World.

RE - gotta love it.
    Is that truly "news" or "important" solar news Martyn?
    It sounds more like a stalking report..

Either way, I think you should take it elsewhere and write up your you guardian's movements in private. .
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    :eek: ... Eek! ... Oh look, as one profile gives trolling a rest for a while [STRIKE]the alter-ego[/STRIKE] another mysteriously returns from the wilderness ... just like Mr Benn - "as if by magic, the shopkeeper appeared!" ... must be telepathy .. :shhh::silenced:

Anyway, in the news ....
    The U.S. government’s premier renewable energy lab has found a 30% fall in utility-scale solar costs year-over-year, leading to levelized costs of electricity competitive with combined cycle gas generation.
    pv-magazine-usa

30% fall in solar in the USA competing in price with US new build gas, 50% fall in offshore wind bids in the UK competing in price with UK new build gas ... this week is certainly racking up the good news ... looks like the momentum ball is rolling faster than many had predicted ... :D

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    zeupater wrote: »
    :eek: ... Eek! ... Oh look, as one profile gives trolling a rest for a while [STRIKE]the alter-ego[/STRIKE] another mysteriously returns from the wilderness ... just like Mr Benn - "as if by magic, the shopkeeper appeared!" ... must be telepathy .. :shhh::silenced:

Z

What a sad post!
  • Martyn1981
    Options
    zeupater wrote: »
    30% fall in solar in the USA competing in price with US new build gas, 50% fall in offshore wind bids in the UK competing in price with UK new build gas ... this week is certainly racking up the good news ... looks like the momentum ball is rolling faster than many had predicted ... :D

HTH
    Z

Yes, as we've said before, 2017 seems to have proven the economics of RE. Though to be fair that was already obvious from the building evidence and well established cost curves, but for some doubt remained till they crossed the finishing line ..... regardless of their growing lead.

I find the anti-RE and full RE trolling fascinating, it seems to have peaked this last year as nuclear became unviable, or appears to be behind RE and falling. This seems to have led to a growing volume of ever more desperate spin, akin I suppose to the drowning man clutching at straws analogy.

I think I'll stick my neck out now and say that it's over, any spin/trolling from now on will be too obvious and too desperate for anyone with an IQ over 15 to take seriously.

It's a shame (almost) that nuclear can't be part of the solution going forward, since the more varied the energy mix the better, but economics are hard to ignore, and we do need to think about the costs of nuclear and how much it would push up the bills for pensioners living in all electric flats. :(

Here's to a RE heavy and anti-RE spin light future on the G&E board.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback