The Great 'Cheap internet dating sites' Hunt

124»

Comments

• I'm another Plenty of Fish fan! My previous relationship had ended a few weeks earlier and the intention was to meet people casually, no intention of getting into another relationship so soon. Well, I joined on the Sunday, messaged a few people, the one who I was most interested in replied that evening and we struck up an online chat. We met for dinner two days later, and she proposed eight days after that! That was August 2010, we were married in the December and now have an 8-month-old little boy. Never been happier :)
  • Being a single parent, I wanted to date like minded people, so tried datingforsingleparentsuk.com which I find very good. It's not free, so you don't get all the weirdo's on it, but has lots of nice, normal people on it - just what I'm after!
  • Well, I did it! I just went on my first date since 1989!

Nice enough bloke but not for me. Talked too much about himself and has an unhealthy anger towards traffic wardens....

I was a bit perturbed though as I met him on Match but he said he wasn't on Match but on Dating Direct.
  • I was a bit perturbed though as I met him on Match but he said he wasn't on Match but on Dating Direct.
    Maureen 43 .. I have found that some different dating sites are set up by the same company and use the same database of people .. I have spoken to some people who have said that they were not on the same site as me. A lot of the ones that are specific sites such as those just for divorced, just for single parents etc etc seem to be linked and if you look at your settings it asks if you want to receive messages from people outside of the specific profile of the site - hope this makes sense!!
    If you look at the "about us" section of the website on the Just... range of sites it says
    The site is powered by WhiteLabelDating.com, a powerful cross-platform dating solution which can be integrated with other websites
    and looking at Just Single Parents dating site and Just divorced Singles dating site they both look the same and both say
    Just Single Parents is run by Global Personals Limited, a UK company specializing in the development of online dating websites for the singles community
    and
    Just Divorced Singles is run by Global Personals Limited, a UK company specializing in the development of online dating websites for the singles community.
    . Just an observation!
  • juliamarsh wrote: »
    I have tried freedating which, as the name implies, was free and I tried friendsreuniteddating which I had to pay for. There seemed to be as many misfits on there as on freedating so there seemed to be no advantage in paying. Didn't have much success and soon gave up bothering!

I agree that there is no difference whether you pay or not. I see mainly the same people on the various sites. Trouble is there is absolutely no way of meeting people of the oposite sex without these sites, particularily when you are in your late forties and your fifties and live in an area that doesn't support your interests or status.
  • Maureen43 wrote: »
    Well, I did it! I just went on my first date since 1989!

Nice enough bloke but not for me. Talked too much about himself and has an unhealthy anger towards traffic wardens....

I was a bit perturbed though as I met him on Match but he said he wasn't on Match but on Dating Direct.

I've found the same thing as in people registering with one site and finding they were on a different site. Alarming since these sites are not supposed to forward your details. Happens with both paying and free sites.
  • frankie806
    frankie806 Posts: 4 Newbie
    edited 19 January 2013 at 12:41AM
    You get crazies on any site. match.com should be called iwanttogetmarriedafterthefirstdateandhave10kidswithyou.com but guess the name was too long or already taken. You seem to get the same people across most of the sites anyway and at the end of the day its a numbers game, best relationships seem to be with the one who is definately "not my type"! Think outside the box!

Having no luck with what I thought I wanted I have tried several times to meet someone outside the box. Even if I get as far as meeting, it usually confirms that I know they are not right. Mind you, can't even find anyone that ticks a couple of 'would like' boxes, never mind even 50% of what I would like!!
  • Its not specifically a dating website, but I met my partner through it, so would strongly recommend the website "meetup" if you are unattached and seeking the company of others.

Meetup is a social networking site. It gives you the chance to meet other single people in the local area. People post group activities on the internet webpage and invite others to join them - e.g. going to see film at cinema, having a restaurant meal together, going for a walk, going for a drink, joining a pub quiz team etc. Its not free, but it is very cheap. (i.e. annual fee to be a registered member of local group might be £5, or they might ask for a contribution of £1 every time you attend an activity)

So, why not give it a try? You might not meet "Mr Right" / "Miss Perfect" the first time you go along to an activity, but it will expand the number of single people you meet. Even, if love doesn't blossom, you are sure to make a few friends along the way. Surely a bonus !
  • so read the blog for ok cupid ?
  • Han_naH
    Han_naH Posts: 268 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Match.com can play pretty dirty...
    Once subscribed, when you logout the button hovers over another ad for MatchAffinity.com, a sister site.

Of course, in time you click by mistake (one click) and the emails start arriving: Thankyou for joining MatchAffinity.com. Your photo has been accepted. Etc.

See, they need more accounts and now you're a member. Talk about treating subscribers like idiots. Your face now multiplied on the internet...

Click one of the emails and you cannot delete the account, only answer their "love questionnaire" (good grief...) No idea if they then charge you for this nonsense.... but look closely at the end of the 2nd email, in tiny font, a red link where you can unsubscribe. Many people will miss this however..

By the way, I paid for Match.com with PayPal and you can stop the continious payment agreement easily by clicking on the transaction details then cancel...

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure