ISA.... confused

Options
I currently have a MINI ISA with a building society,and have held this for a few years now.Can i or can i not open another mini ISA,i seem to be getting different suggestions.My present Mini ISA is a 90 day notice one.I have £2000 to invest,but may need access to it.

thanks

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,380 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    ISA allowances are contribution allowances. i.e you can pay £7000 per tax year into an ISA. Once the new tax year begins, the slate is wiped and you get a brand new £7000 allowance. Your new contribution(s) can go to the existing ISA or a new one.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • tsmiggy
    tsmiggy Posts: 127 Forumite
    Options
    I have a mini ISA so i have a £3000 allowance,if i open another mini ISA can i then contribute to both,providing i do not exceed my £3000 allowance........... getting there :j
  • ifstar
    ifstar Posts: 487 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    No, it is my understanding that you can only actively contribute to 1 during any year although you can keep your other one open and it will still gain interest.
  • chesky369
    chesky369 Posts: 2,590 Forumite
    Options
    And if you've paid anything at all into the old one this financial year, then you can't open a new one.
  • jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You can open a new one and use an ISA transfer to move the current year funds to it then contribute to the new one in the same year.

There is also currently an exception to the rules where contributions to multiple ISAs in the same year will be ignored provided the total deposited is within the limit but it's prudent not to rely on this, since the consequence of a change will be losing the tax benefits from all involved accounts except the first one that was contributed to in the year.
  • sixtyplus
    sixtyplus Posts: 58 Forumite
    Options
    Best Cash ISA transfer deal please. Currently with M & S but is a very poor rate indeed.
    I know Barclays are being recommended by Martin, but this is only for NEW ISA's I believe, so need to know who is giving the best deal for a transfer.
    Thanks
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,398 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Have you read this sticky which contains all the info you need?

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=401374
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport