Free Outdoor Activity - Geo caching

Iv just started something called Geo-caching http://www.geocaching.com/
It is a free real-world outdoor treasure hunt.
Players try to locate hidden containers, called geocaches, using a smartphone or GPS.
There hidden all over, Im sure you will be surprised at how close there to where you live......

Its great to do with kids they like help finding them
2013-Swag bucks £10 Qmee £2.17 App Trailers 1.23 not a huge amount but better than nothing

Comments

• TM6
    TM6 Posts: 1,116 Forumite
    edited 15 January 2013 at 9:07AM
    I love Geocaching, we discovered it just under 7 years ago now :D

My favourite are historical caches, for example this weekend we cached in Halifax at the site of the original guillotine (they have a replica there), both the platform and steps are original

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sherrlock/5190645052/
    "One hundred years from now, it will not matter what kind of car I drove, what kind of house I lived in, how much was in my bank account, nor what my clothes looked like but the world may be a little bit better because I was important in the life of a child."
  • Kaz2904
    Kaz2904 Posts: 5,797
    Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    It's a very cheap hobby. We love it.
    Debt: 16/04/2007:TOTAL DEBT [strike]£92727.75[/strike] £49395.47:eek: :eek: :eek: £43332.28 repaid 100.77% of £43000 target.
    MFiT T2: Debt [STRIKE]£52856.59[/STRIKE] £6316.14 £46540.45 repaid 101.17% of £46000 target.
    2013 Target: completely clear my [STRIKE]£6316.14[/STRIKE] £0 mortgage debt. £6316.14 100% repaid.
  • crankup
    crankup Posts: 343
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    We enjoy this. Must get out and do some more. If you have an Android phone with GPS then download CGEO app. Allows you to store caches from your geocaching acct, find caches when out and about, log Finds etc.
    * "Take my advice, Dont listen to me." *
    ~~ Yes I've tried Google ~~
    ~~ Yes I've tried ebaY ~~

• Smart_Mart
    Smart_Mart Posts: 1,371 Forumite
    Absolutely love this... :T

My two boys and I got into it around eighteen months ago after seeing a story about it on the BBC news. We logged into the website and found there was one just around 400 feet from where we live.

After a few weeks of finding and logging them, I was given a Garmin GPS system and things were a whole lot easier then. Started to do some series of caches (several in a circular or any-shaped route) and that soon helped our totals to mount up.

Now after a local cacher moved area, we adopted his caches and we now have more than thirty of our own having found nearly 440 other caches. Really good way of getting out in the fresh air and keeping fit while doing aomething interesting. Would recommend it with the kids... if I suggested a five mile walk, I'd get a short answer but walk round a series of caches, they suddenly are all ears.
  • BAGGY
    BAGGY Posts: 522
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Anyone know of a freebee app for android
  • BAGGY
    BAGGY Posts: 522
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Found it. Was being thick.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors