MSE News: Child benefit cut to hit 1 million next Monday

Replies

• woodbine wrote: »
    like 72% of the electorate(according to recent polls),i would prefer to eat my own vomit than vote tory

Each to their own - the more they cut other benefits and make working pay the more votes they get.

I was a red voter before now - but their recent changes to the benefit system have changed me and many of my friends. I think you'd be suprised.

To cut my benefits by £150 and leave the family who can't be arsed to work with 100% would have lost a vote. To ensure they are losing too.

Adds a vote
  • AnonAnon Forumite
    14.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To be fair they are mainly from April.

This year you have to suck it up really and prepare for next year. But yes MSE are a wee bit late.

Why is it too late this year? There are three months left of the tax year? If you read elsewhere on the web you get suggestions on what action you can take, for example, paying extra into a pension seems to be a potential (legal) option to reduce taxable income (depending on individual circumstances, of course).

Anon
  • fallen121fallen121 Forumite
    865 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    I earn under the threshold but IF (and I have no idea at this time) I get a bonus it could take me over. I don't fill out self assessment because some time ago HMRC told me they didn't want me to fill one out anymore because my tax affairs were "mundane and uncomplicated"

Even if I filled one out tomorrow all I could tell them would be my PAYE. I don't even get told if I get a bonus for months and then it is paid just once a year.

Some years I get a bonus, some years I don't. Presumably so long as I tell HMRC by 31st January 2014 I'll be ok.
  • flight747flight747 Forumite
    510 Posts
    Never trust the Tories!
  • flight747 wrote: »
    Never trust the Tories!

Why ? You want the government to hand out dough which it doesnt have ? Are you aware of how much borrowing is happening every month ? At some point the bond market will collapse when the investors realise that the borrowed money is being spent on benefits and none of that is going to be repaid. We only have to look at Greece to imagine the result of investor fright.
    510 Posts
    Labour Party will win 2015 General Election! Tory had gone too far too fast on big massive cuts! I know a cut is a must to reduce borrowing but they gone too far!
  • flight747 wrote: »
    Labour Party will win 2015 General Election! Tory had gone too far too fast on big massive cuts! I know a cut is a must to reduce borrowing but they gone too far!

What are you on about ? What cuts ? This is exactly the scenario Labour wanted to happen when they introduced those big massive fat benefits whilst getting drunk on borrowed money.

If you are one of the honest hard working tax payer you should be aware that there are people on benefits having more cash in hand than you. Think about it. What was supposed to be a safety net has been exploited by Labour to be a vote winning machine.
    510 Posts
    Everyones know benefits is more money than hard worker as I used to work before and the salary is terrible only take home after tax is £11,745 and pay all the bills, rent, council tax, no holiday and got nothing left. No saving. Now I earn £21,505 in benefits and don't have to pay council tax or rent. And enjoyed my holiday four times a year.

So, it proved benefits are better than in work.
  • ParvaParva Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    flight747 wrote: »
    Everyones know benefits is more money than hard worker as I used to work before and the salary is terrible only take home after tax is £11,745 and pay all the bills, rent, council tax, no holiday and got nothing left. No saving. Now I earn £21,505 in benefits and don't have to pay council tax or rent. And enjoyed my holiday four times a year.

So, it proved benefits are better than in work.
    No idea what benefits you are on to get that kind of money; the average jobseeker has barely enough to feed themselves and that's before we add the standard water, gas, electric and TV license bills to the equation. Let's not even mention luxuries like footwear and clothing.

Good luck to you if you're earning that much for doing nothing, there's a guy just like you who enjoyed bragging about it. He's now busy moaning about having to sign-on. There is such a thing as karma.
  • ilikebubblyilikebubbly Forumite
    4 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Is the £50K cut off your income after tax or gross salary?
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides