We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

SF's road to mortgage freedom!

Options

Comments

• slowlyfading
    slowlyfading Posts: 13,429 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Blah, wasn't too impressed with my classes today..... knew it was going too well so far! :rotfl:

It's another NSD in the SF household - we've both been at work all day and don't need anything :) we've had a simple tea of filled pasta with sauce and garlic bread, and now me and DH are relaxing on the sofa.

Is it the weekend yet? :o
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
    Personal Finance Blogger + YouTuber / In pursuit of FIRE
  • rising_from_the_ashes
    Options
    1st full week nearly over!

dinner sounds good!
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • slowlyfading
    Options
    I'm so confused/anxious/worried about things. I'm trying to work out a good number for our emergency fund - I thought I'd done it right, figured out the number and have started putting bits away.

Now, I don't know whether to focus more on getting the emergency fund done, or the mortgage, or split it evenly or what. I've read lots about how you should try and overpay more early on in the mortgage to save the most interest, but also you should have an emergency fund in place as well.

My head hurts :( blah. It's been a long week.
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,974 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Just give yourself a break & stop worrying.
    Whatever your figure for a month is, why dont you split it between the two?
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Keiss_21
    Keiss_21 Posts: 2,652 Forumite
    Options
    Hope tomorrow goes well SF and you are still enjoying it all. Starting a new job always is a bit traumatic at the beginning, this go up and down, good one day, not so the next...but that's life really!! You'll sleep well this weekend! :)

Well done on your OPs...never done that as kids have always used up any "spare" cash. I am hoping that DH gets a job soon, so we can plough some of his redundany into the Mortgage, as well as an emergency fund. Would also like to get a few things done round the house...quite a lot needs doing really :o

Trying to pretend the money isn't there, though I bought a 2nd hand sewing machine at my shop yesterday. :eek: My boss gave me a great deal, and all the extra work I will be doing next month
    will cover it easily (working 5 days a week for 5 weeks while boss goes off on a cruise). Having the redundancy money there meant I didn't miss out on such a fantanstic opportunity...soo pleased, but still not had a proper chance to use the machine yet...that's happeneing tomorrow afternoon, I can't wait!!! :j:j

Right off to bed soon, very tired, everything is catching up with me.

Have a great Friday and a lovely relaxing weekend xx

13 projects in 2013: 7/13
    Cross-stitch Club Member no 13
    Weight loss since 24/06/2012: 30lb
  • Tilly_MFW_in_6_YRS
    Options
    Hi SF, Edinburgher splits his 'spare' money between emergency fund and OP pot and I have a feeling Sweet Daisy may do as well.

Good luck with your plans

Tilly
    2004 £387k 29 years - MF March 2033:eek:
    2011 £309k 10 years - MF March 2021.
    Achieved Goal: 28/08/15 :j
  • Sparkles87
    Options
    Emergency fund first... Otherwise if something did go wrong, the credit card interest would cost you a lot more than you're saving from your mortgage interest. Even if its £1000, then start doing 50/50 mortgage and savings.
  • taka
    taka Posts: 3,483 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    There is no right or wrong way of going about it SF! Don't stress! Everyone is different! :)

Martin's advice...

If you have done your maths and come up with an emergency pot target then personally I'd save that up 1st rather than OP. No point in costing yourself more by using a credit card or overdraft costs than you would save on your mortgage if something were to happen and you needed it! Set up a standing order to your saving account and let it grow.

If absolutely no OPs feels wrong (;) :p) then you could try to OP a £1 a day + any "extra" money you save/earn by being :money:. Even that will make a meaningful difference to your mortgage if you do it from early on! That may knock a year or so off your mortgage if your keep it up over the term and save you £1000s! And it isn't too painful to fit into a budget more aimed at filling your emergency pot! :p That is an extra £1000+ OP'd (plus interest saved) during MFiT-3 alone!

PS Don't be so hard on yourself! Baby steps! You are already ahead of the game by making any OPs at all! :p
    Mortgage free as of 12/08/20!
    MFiT-5 no 45
    You can't fly with one foot on the ground!
  • slowlyfading
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone - I've decided that I'm going to continue to OP, but not get too obsessed about it and worry about the fact that I may be going fast enough. I'm also going to focus more on the EF for now, so that I can get that to a level I'm more comfortable with.

So, I've transferred £200 to the EF today, and OP'd a smaller £80. Baby steps :)

In other news, I'm so so so glad it's the weekend :j I've liked this week, but I'm absolutely shattered. I have quite a lot of work to do which will have to be done on Sunday :( blah. Ah well, that's the nature of teaching; weekends are taken up too!

Going to have a lazy evening, having a proper lazy, unhealthy tea :o and I've got a bottle of alcoholic ginger beer in the fridge with my name on it, and I don't intend to move very far from the sofa! :D
  • slowlyfading
    Options
    taka wrote: »
    PS Don't be so hard on yourself! Baby steps! You are already ahead of the game by making any OPs at all! :p
    THank you :o I know, DH tells me often that I'm far too hard on myself :( I just worry about things!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport