PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Hoarding - A New Start

Options

Comments

• lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    People struggling to do anything....

(that's me too btw)

Can we perhaps make a pact of 'a dozen' tomorow?

the dozen could take any form...

A dozen things dericharded to the bin, CS or recycling facility. A dozen things cleared from that iron pile (I am looking at the perfectionist ironworks here)

If a dozen things are out of a drawer, off the ironing pile, in the bin, whatever...it might be we can complete a job started or even make it to fifteen items thereby exceeding our own expectations.

Items can be from one place, or any number of places/stashes. I recommend the one place solution myself.
    Anybody in?
  • whitewing
    whitewing Posts: 11,852 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm in for the Dirty Dozen.
    :heartsmil When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
  • frizz2
    frizz2 Posts: 90 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Everyone,
    I am in! I have a mass of stuff in the boot of my car, some bags in the kitchen, some bags of paper that has been shredded. I would say a dozen bags for charity. Also my wardrobe needs decluttering, I have about 4 handbags that I no longer need, some tops I have not worn for a couple of years. I will count out a dozen items from wardrobe. Also I have lots of plates and cups that could go. I can;t get them all in the cupboard. I will de clutter 12 items from the kitchen.
    I have my linen cupboard to sort out also it is so full I can't get everything in! I have bought some new fitted sheets that are deep and will fit the new deep matresses I have bought. Therefore I can get rid of all my flat sheets. I have some tatty old table cloths that can also all go! Counting in 12's might motivate me. Also, I have magazines I can get rid of. I really am trying to limit what comes in. More going out than coming in!
    Hope you don't mind me rambling on. It is nice to finally find somewhere I can be nonest about the problem!
  • Lozzy88
    Lozzy88 Posts: 780 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    It seems doable its a even number which I like and not 10 which I think is way to over used.

I`m in!
  • Byatt
    Byatt Posts: 3,496 Forumite
    Options
    I'm guessing I'm not going to use the george fore@man grill that I got on a whim a few months ago, and which has been cluttering up space in my kitchen as I try to ignore it and also justify spending good money on it. I'm not going to cook meat in it because I hate the way it does it anyway (my DD has one), and I'm never going to do the toasted sarnies because it means I'll have to clean the darned thing! I talked myself into it as an aspirational losing weight and healthy eating type thing. It's big and ugly and sits on a work top...

so why can't I get rid of it?:cool:
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    A dozen it is! Thanks for joining me. :)
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    I am very tentatively thinking about having guitar lessons. This is a big deal for reasons I don't want to go into the minutie of, but I know longer play the instruments I was trained in due to my illness.

Dh suggested the guitar might be easier for me. I pick it up and look at it every now and then and think I should be able to make it do something, just something, woth no tuition really, but it doesn't happen. I cannot do teach yourself books and I really do not want dh or a friend to try and teach me. It could all go horribly wrong you see, and I nok now this sounds stupid, but it might be tremendously emotional. Losing a skill like playing instruments, or sight reading (or reading much at all) and the coordination or a part of your identity is very unsettling. Years and years of my education went into it, and I don't know what I am now. A musician who cannot play anything really? A non musician? Anyway.....the guitar might work, or it might not.....so I circle round it sometimes. :o

Lessons with a person who doesn't have any preconceptions about you can be liberating.

They don't make you feel like they're thinking 'poor you' or 'that's nowhere near as good as their original instrument'.

Out of a bunch of people I play Uke with, quite a few started with something else. My first instrument was the trumpet, then there was handbells, handchimes, keyboard, etc; another's was the French Horn, there are people who play violin, guitar, banjo, piano, classically trained singers - another guy I knew of switched to harmonica when RA in his hands stopped him playing bass. I tended to irritate the vagus nerve in my chest and keel over when playing trumpet for too long.

Stringed instruments weren't my first love. But they're my home right now.

You already have understanding, instinct and practical ability. So they can be transferred into exploring a whole new world musically. Not evidence of the loss you grieve for, but a passport to an exciting new destination.

You could look and see whether a group informal setting might suit you better. I adore my Uke jam nights and would never have learned a whole new bunch of chords sat at home with YouTube. But stick me in a room with other people, some better, some not, and I'm happy.

Maybe even a Uke would be a gentle start? Smaller, lighter, and the patterns translate to the 5th frets of the d, g, b and e strings, so anything you learn will be transferable to guitar once your hands are more familiar with the movements and shapes. And the intervals being the same mean that a G shape on Uke is exactly the same as a D on guitar.

And there is nothing wrong with playing by ear. Dots can be slightly overrated at times, as they prevent you voicing what you feel is right. Let a little imperfection in; it makes it all the more human.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • craigywv
    craigywv Posts: 2,342 Forumite
    Options
    Byatt wrote: »
    I'm guessing I'm not going to use the george fore@man grill that I got on a whim a few months ago, and which has been cluttering up space in my kitchen as I try to ignore it and also justify spending good money on it. I'm not going to cook meat in it because I hate the way it does it anyway (my DD has one), and I'm never going to do the toasted sarnies because it means I'll have to clean the darned thing! I talked myself into it as an aspirational losing weight and healthy eating type thing. It's big and ugly and sits on a work top...

so why can't I get rid of it?:cool:
    bring it outside, and take a hammer to it BYATT yourmind will be refreshed and just imagine how much execise you will get pounding away on it............well you did buy it to lose weightxxx or you could place it on a wall and throw those tins of creamed rice at it in training for the z word coming ;)
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z #7 member N.I splinter-group co-ordinater :p I dont suffer from insanity....I enjoy every minute of it!!.:)
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,959 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I'm In

Dunno what I'll do yet, but I will do something..
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • sevenup01
    sevenup01 Posts: 185 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all. Yesterday i managed a quick sort through of youngest daughters toys and now have two large carrier bags full to give and old neighbour tomorow evening. So some board books, an abacus, a doll, a toddler computer and some megabloks ready to go.
    Actually gone (as in left the house) is a cupcake maker i was trialling for my brownies, a compact mirror, some magnetic copier paper and some five a side team vests.....and a cousin who has gone home to mummy for a few nights , but she will be back!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure