PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Hoarding - A New Start

Options

Comments

• whitewing
    whitewing Posts: 11,852 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have decided to clothing bank in future rather than charity shop, I just think for me it's easier.

I know, it doesn't feel such a personal failure of me to lose weight if I put it into an anonymous bin.

Not that anyone in a charity shop has ever made me feel self-conscious.
    :heartsmil When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    whitewing wrote: »
    I know, it doesn't feel such a personal failure of me to lose weight if I put it into an anonymous bin.

Not that anyone in a charity shop has ever made me feel self-conscious.

Or my feet shrunk:rotfl: a friend bought be several pairs of slippers to cope with living in our fridge house, but they were all in tiny sizes. Not sure what that was about?
  • tattycath
    tattycath Posts: 7,175 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Or my feet shrunk:rotfl: a friend bought be several pairs of slippers to cope with living in our fridge house, but they were all in tiny sizes. Not sure what that was about?
    Maybe you were her way of getting rid of some of her hoard ;)
    GE 36 *MFD may 2043
    MFIT-T5 #60 £136,850.30
    Mortgage overpayments 2019 - £285.96
    2020 Jan-£40-feb-£18.28.march-£25
    Christmas savings card 2020 £20/£100
    Emergency savings £100/£500
    12/3/17 175lb - 06/11/2019 152lb
  • katep23
    katep23 Posts: 1,406 Forumite
    Options
    Done a bit tonight so am trying to be happy with what I have done rather than berating myself for what I haven't achieved.

Have put all clothes on hangers and away in the wardrobe.

Tidied a lot of paperwork away into desk drawers and thrown out knackered box file.

Put all new toiletries away in the "box of many things".

Frozen all the dried beans and chickpeas I processed yesterday along with the remaining soup from last week.

Sorted a hold-all bag of clothes I found under the bed the other day - lots to cs bag and some to be mended (my trouser leg hems always come down, always the same leg too!)

Folded and put away all stray towels.

Made breakfast for tomorrow (funny diet means having protein-based brekkie which takes time in the morning), lunch is leftover pasta from tonight and dinner is spag bol (lots of pasta but easy!)

Just going to switch everything off then I am having an early night as a reward for everything I have achieved as I am v tired after a rubbish night last night.

Blossomhill, just wanted to say I love that saying, it really fits, thank you for sharing it x
  • whitewing
    whitewing Posts: 11,852 Forumite
    Options
    I think I've just seen that MSE was founded in Feb 2003. Are we having a birthday party? I'm sure there must be plenty of candles in this thread alone.

This means that I must have a MSE-anniversary-inspired declutter of the birthday decorations drawer later in the week. I may bleed to death as it is sure to have a cluster of unboxed drawing pins ready to pounce on unsuspecting fingers.

I just got the MSE Cheap Energy club email. Pleased to see I'm already on a great deal and have registered for my monthly reviews.
    :heartsmil When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
  • mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Thank you for mentioning Give And Make Up - we had a big donating session for that last year over on the No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries thread.
    My ex-husband was free with his fists, usually for things along the line of buying him the wrong style of trousers. The slightest excuse...
    Women who leave violent men deserve all the help we can spare.

I was given a load of toiletries and cleaning stuff by a friend on Friday.
    I have virtually zero disposable income at the moment, so this was welcome but I made myself re-gift that which I knew was surplus - men's hair and body wash and a carpet cleaner for pet accidents.
    DD was delighted.

I donated a huge box of teabags in return - Yorkshire Tea. I can only drink one or two cups a day of tea or coffee max, and just after buying these, I got a free box of 80 Yorkshire Gold in the post.

I also got a pedometer in the post as a freebie. Now this I will use, as keeping on the move by decluttering is a good reason for an extra bit of moving around. Padded envelope it came in went out.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • zzzLazyDaisy
    zzzLazyDaisy Posts: 12,497 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    katep23 wrote: »
    Made breakfast for tomorrow (funny diet means having protein-based brekkie which takes time in the morning), lunch is leftover pasta from tonight and dinner is spag bol (lots of pasta but easy!)

Just to say if you make a fairly flat thin egg white omellette in the microwave, you can mix chopped veg, salmon or whatever you like with cream cheese (or quark if you are watching yr fat count) fold the egg white omelette in half with the cream cheese filling in the middle, and you are good to go x
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
  • suzitiger
    Options
    Hello hoarders - my name is Daisy, and I am a hoarder, can I join please?
    Dx

Hi welcome Daisy, good to have you on board :j
    MrsAtobe wrote: »
    (Delurks)

Hello everyone, my name is MrsAtobe and I am a hoarder.
    We will be moving into a new house soon, and I am determined that I am not taking any richard with me! I'm still trying to de-Richard this house, and also to deal with the kipple - paperwork is my bugbear at the moment.
    Hi MrsAtobe and welcome to you too. I am also moving house, next week in fact :eek: and I REALLY don't want to take loads of stuff with me so yeah, lets support each other in our de-richarding victories :j
    whitewing wrote: »
    I think I've just seen that MSE was founded in Feb 2003. Are we having a birthday party? I'm sure there must be plenty of candles in this thread alone.

I just got the MSE Cheap Energy club email. Pleased to see I'm already on a great deal and have registered for my monthly reviews.

oooooh yes I am going to join this too. Yes I think there shoild be a birthday party, hooraaay! :bdaycake:_party_
    Don't turn a slip up into a give up:D
    *NSD Challenge Nov 0/10* *£10 a day challenge Nov £0/£300*
    No buying unnecessary toiletries challenge-in it for the long haul
    :D

• blossomhill_2
    Options
    Just posting to say thank you!

I stumbled across this thread last night, now I wouldn't describe myself as a hoarder as such, more a keeper of 'stuff what might be helpful' and 'that's still wearable, I can't see through it yet' type person.

But I was inspired last night to take my ridiculous wardrobe to task and managed to bag up 4 bags for charity, 2 for recycling and 2 for the skip, thanks to you folks I now have a slimmed down wardrobe and a lot less clutter. :T Tonight I'll be tackling under the bed :)

Thanks again and good luck to all you folks who are de-cluttering too.
    Thanks scottishsuz, great to know someone has been inspired in a gloomy February
    I think if they handed out badges we'd all get one saying "Keeper of stuff" but it would be keeper with a small K, not a grand title, and STUFF would be in bold and overlapping, spilling off the edge of the badge and squeezing out the other words, as stuff tends to do

I used to have problem under the bed, boxes, cat fluff, bags, tents ... yes tents - so I got rid of the bed (!) and at the moment have a matress on the floor and will not allow myself a new bed until I can be trusted with it and the room decorated- actually it has solved my sleeping problem so maybe all those things under me were sending up plastic fumes or bad vibes :D

So - Part-ay! Let's all burn all our candles to celebrate!- (great idea WW)

So - a quiz to get us in the mood
    If hoarders had a party _party_what would they bring to the gathering :dance:- from your own experience, what could you bring?

I could bring a garland and cake candleholders from DD's 1st brithday (she's 30!) and the icing flowers from my 21st cake (I am over 50!) - actually I could bring my own 1st brithday cards! And my late mothers' from 1924 - and ... oh dear!
    You never know how far-reaching something good, that you may do or say today, may affect the lives of others tomorrow
  • sjprmc01
    sjprmc01 Posts: 917 Forumite
    Options
    I'm not sure I have any of my childhood cards anymore, actually! Think I did have a big chucking session at one point deciding I'd never need tuff like that again

I have the kids baby cards and first birthday cards but any further ages are just a few. I'm actually looking like I've mad a success in this area however I do still have (unused) 1st birthday paper bowls and party hats which are now 4months off being 7yrs ols. And noddy party items which I think were last used when my youngest (5.5) was 2! I have a big box of party stuff with random invites, party bags and party bag contents (unused)
    No more unnecessary toiletries Feb 2014 INS: 24 UU: 13. Mar 2014. INS: lost count, naughty step for me! UU: 8
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure