IMPORTANT REMINDER: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information. If you are uploading images, please take extra care that you have redacted all personal information.

What automatic estate to buy?

in Motoring
51 replies 2.9K views

Replies

• forgotmynameforgotmyname Forumite
    32.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    No to the BMW.. Because people assume they hold their value well and ask silly money for them. For their external size iternal is not huge.

Hold their value so your paying over the odds. Its when you come to sell you realise they are not offering you what you think its worth. Or anywhere close to what they are going to be selling it for.

It holds its value well for the dealer that paid a lot less and selling above book prices.

You need to join the howto waste money forum to choose the BMW. Compared to your other choices.

Ignoring the badge why would you buy a BMW? Expensive parts and servicing, No more reliable than other everyday cars.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• I have one of these and it is a beautiful car. I have owed it since June and it delivers fanastic economy.
  • getmore4lessgetmore4less Forumite
    46.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've helped Parliament
    Forumite
    The octavia 1.9tdi does not have the DPF so the lower lileage should not be an issue.

We got an 08 1.9TDI DSG hatch with 30k no probs(4 years so had the cambelt done and dsg had been done at previous service a couple of month previous)

skoda have fixed price sevicing on the web site
    http://www.skoda.co.uk/gbr/owners/national-pricing/Pages/National-pricing.aspx
  • edited 1 January 2013 at 2:21PM
    ChorlieChorlie Forumite
    1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Photogenic
    edited 1 January 2013 at 2:21PM
    BMW's are very small, a lot smaller than a Focus (which you state is to small).

Have you consider a Volvo V50 or V70, a V70 estate is hard to beat on size, comfort and equipment, they do Diesel and Petrol Automatics and there are around for your budget.

If not a Mondeo is a good car or a Honda estate.
  • knightstyleknightstyle Forumite
    6.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    Forumite
    DD has a Saab 9-3 estate, lovely car.
  • JoeyEmmaJoeyEmma Forumite
    913 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    I've ruled out saabs. My mum has one and parts are getting more and more expensive. Servicing is costing a small fortune. Plus the automatic model doesn't get very good mpg iirc.

The few auto volvos for sale in our area are quite fuel thirsty, doing 32mpg combined which is rubbish, plus they are in ved band k.

I'm back towards the Octavia or Passat with a Diesel engine. The issue is finding one with a relatively low milage, good spec and good service history all for the right price. If anybody can see one within a 40 mile radius of Manchester then feel free to link to it!
  • ChorlieChorlie Forumite
    1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Photogenic
    I had a couple of Volvo V70's D5 Auto (Diesel Geartronic) with the older 163Bhp engine and I used to get mid to high 30's just travelling to work & back (25 mile round trip) and on long runs I was getting high 40's.

The V50 should be higher since its a smaller car. My Mondeo was an Auto Petrol and would get about 30mpg. My friend swapped his Honda estate (old shaped) for a Passat estate and wished he hadn't, he said the Honda was far more comfortable, bigger boot and better equipment.
  • JoeyEmmaJoeyEmma Forumite
    913 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    Hondas are out as they only do in an auto in a 2.4 petrol engine that does combibed 28mpg, which just isn't good enough.
  • poppasmurf_bewdleypoppasmurf_bewdley Forumite
    5.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I'm now running my second 2.0 Mondeo estate. First one was a Mk3 and now on a Mk4 auto Ghia estate.

They are both large cars, but the Mk4 is HUGE. It is actually larger than the last Granada. You can literally get a double mattress in the back without having to fold it.

I'm getting 45mpg around town and up to 48 at a steady 70mph on the motorway.

I'm extremely happy with the car. It is very comfortable and has all the gizmos you could want.
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
  • greatgimpogreatgimpo Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    I'm now running my second 2.0 Mondeo estate. First one was a Mk3 and now on a Mk4 auto Ghia estate.

They are both large cars, but the Mk4 is HUGE. It is actually larger than the last Granada. You can literally get a double mattress in the back without having to fold it.

I'm getting 45mpg around town and up to 48 at a steady 70mph on the motorway.

I'm extremely happy with the car. It is very comfortable and has all the gizmos you could want.
    Diesel or petrol?
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Boost your Nectar points

Get up to £25 this Saturday

MSE News

Preparing for summer

What MoneySaving things can you do now to get ready?

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals