Less than 6 months on passport

Daughter is going to lanzarote in 3 week and just noticed her passport runs out in april and we were wondering if this was ok as we have heard that some countrys need at least 6 months left is Spain one of them

Comments

• No, she'll be fine.
    This space has been intentionally left blank
  • Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    EU only though - anywhere else and an expensive renewal is required!
  • Buzby wrote: »

USA and Canada (just a couple of examples) are not in the EU and as long as your passport is valid for the duration of your trip, you're fine. Other countries of course have different requirement. See the Foreign and Commonwealth Office website for information.
    This space has been intentionally left blank
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Buzby wrote: »

No, it isn't. There are very few countries in the world that require 6 months left on a passport after departure, not even USA, Austraila, Canada require time left after your departure date, other countries only require 1 month or 3 months. The blanket '6 months' rule is one put about by lazy travel agents.

OP your daughter will be fine.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • thanks folks that will put her mind at rest
  • No, it isn't. There are very few countries in the world that require 6 months left on a passport after departure, not even USA, Austraila, Canada require time left after your departure date, other countries only require 1 month or 3 months. The blanket '6 months' rule is one put about by lazy travel agents.

Hi peachyprice,

this is not quite correct.

My passport expired in September 2013.
    Recently I tried to book flights with Air Asia for April 2013 and the airline refused my booking as there would be less than 6 months after travel before my passport expired.

This was the AIRLINE website that refused my booking, not a travel agent.

I renewed my passport(sent off on 18th December and it only took 6 days :j) and have now booked my tickets.

My daughter returned from Australia on Friday and the AIRLINE stipulated 6 months validity on her passport after travel.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,244
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    sentosa wrote: »
    Hi peachyprice,

Recently I tried to book flights with Air Asia for April 2013 and the airline refused my booking as there would be less than 6 months after travel before my passport expired.

I renewed my passport(sent off on 18th December and it only took 6 days :j) and have now booked my tickets.

My daughter returned from Australia on Friday and the AIRLINE stipulated 6 months validity on her passport after travel.

Airlines act to enforce the rules that governments set (they get fined if they transport passengers without valid travel documents). Several countries in Asia do insist on passports being valid six months after travel is completed, so that is the reason (even if you would only be changing 'planes in one such country).
  • peachyprice
    Forumite
    sentosa wrote: »
    Hi peachyprice,

Apologies, it's lazy AIRLINES aswell.

But as many Air Asia passengers land/transit in countries that may have a 6 month requirement it's safer for that particular airline to make a blanket rule, which is not the same as a legal requirement and not one that most UK schedule airlines will make, the exception being charter flights operated by travel agents such as TUI/Thompson, which bring us full circle.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    No, it isn't. There are very few countries in the world that require 6 months left on a passport after departure, not even USA, Austraila, Canada require time left after your departure date, other countries only require 1 month or 3 months. The blanket '6 months' rule is one put about by lazy travel agents.

Sorry, but that's patently untrue, as I had 5 months left when departing JFK and was put through the wringer. Why not see what US Immigration actually state?

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/572/kw/passport%20validity%206%20month/session/L3NpZC8qdzV1WjdmbA%3D%3D

Anything less than 6 months is asking for trouble UNLESS it is an EU destination.
  • peachyprice
    Forumite
    Buzby wrote: »
    Sorry, but that's patently untrue, as I had 5 months left when departing JFK and was put through the wringer. Why not see what US Immigration actually state?

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/572/kw/passport%20validity%206%20month/session/L3NpZC8qdzV1WjdmbA%3D%3D

Anything less than 6 months is asking for trouble UNLESS it is an EU destination.

Erm, you forgot to follow this link http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/travel/inspections_carriers_facilities/clp/bulletins/clp_bullentin_04162008.ctt/clp_bulletin_04162008.pdf

It refers to all the countries that are exempt from the 6 month rule, it's called the 'Six-Month Club' and whadya know, the UK is on it.

Perhaps next time get ALL the facts before stating something is patently untrue? You only make yourself look foolish.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure