Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

Car insurance liability admission by third party

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Motoring
14 replies 1.4K views
bobbydavrobobbydavro Forumite
74 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Motoring
Hi there,

four months later liability has finally admitted and the car people are looking to get my car in for repair.

I am looking to take it to the dealership so that I know I am getting good work done and already have a quote from them.

My question is can I request a cheque for covering the damages from the insurance company and then get the repairs done in my own time?

Really interested to hear any replies and best wishes for the new year!:rotfl::beer:

Replies

• harveybobblesharveybobbles Forumite
    9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    You can get payment this way but it is usually done via a Solicitor.

Or you can ask the insurance company if you can choose where to have your car repaired.
  • mum2onemum2one Forumite
    16.3K Posts
    Xmas Saver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    it would depend on the company, with my one accident, I had to get 2 quotes, so dealership quote and a local garage, the ins choose where to have it repaired and they paid the garage direct.

I would guess that they may some some people claim the money and never get the car repaired x
    xx rip dad... we had our ups and downs but we’re always be family xx
  • rs65rs65 Forumite
    5.7K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    bobbydavro wrote: »
    My question is can I request a cheque for covering the damages from the insurance company and then get the repairs done in my own time?
    Is this the other party's insurer you are claiming from? If so, get the garage to produce a pro-forma invoice and they can pay you the repair costs less VAT. VAT will/should only be paid by insurers once you provide a full invoice.
  • QuentinQuentin Forumite
    40.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You should be getting your own choice of garage to do the repairs.

The garage should be able to arrange with the insurer that they authorise the repair and the bill is sorted direct between the garage and the insurer.
  • vaiovaio Forumite
    12.3K Posts
    rs65 wrote: »
    Is this the other party's insurer you are claiming from? If so, get the garage to produce a pro-forma invoice and they can pay you the repair costs less VAT. VAT will/should only be paid by insurers once you provide a full invoice.

bit off topic but is that right? we regularly do pro-formas for new customers who haven't got an account with us and they always include vat and need to be paid in full before we will take the order. We do convert it to a vat invoice once the work is completed.
    Dangermac wrote: »
    I agree with you......

DM
  • McKneffMcKneff Forumite
    38.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry, but it sounds as if you are trying to pull a fast one.

The normal way is for the garage to invoice the insurance company direct and the insurance company pay the garage direct.

Dont make the mistake of thinking anyone is stupid because that is what is coming over, otherwise why would you want to do it.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • forgotmynameforgotmyname Forumite
    31.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you ask for payment to be made to you the offer will probably be a lot less.

Because as mentioned they will assume your going to do it on the cheap or not do it at all.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• colinocolino Forumite
    5.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    While you might be lucky and get a cheque, I suspect behind the scenes they will want to deal direct to make sure the work is actually done and they have a possibility of discounting the bill.
    Additionally, are you sure this dealership is any good at the work you want done? Theres a whole lot of impressive booths standing dusty while the work gets farmed out to the local genius working much cheaper in less salubrious accommodation.
  • rs65rs65 Forumite
    5.7K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    vaio wrote: »
    bit off topic but is that right? we regularly do pro-formas for new customers who haven't got an account with us and they always include vat and need to be paid in full before we will take the order. We do convert it to a vat invoice once the work is completed.

Insurers shouldn't pay the VAT amount until the owner has actually paid the VAT.

They use the pro-forma to get money from insurers and then instruct and pay you. The VAT invoice proves that the work was done and allows the insurer to pay the VAT.

I've only seen this in TP claims - claims from the insured would just pay the garage direct.
  • Joe_HornerJoe_Horner Forumite
    4.9K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    mum2one wrote: »
    I would guess that they may some some people claim the money and never get the car repaired x

If you choose to do that you're totally within your rights to.

You've suffered a loss (your car has become less valuable because of damage to it), they've agreed what the "value" of that loss is (the cost of undoing the damage), and they pay you for it. What you actually spend the money on is none of their business.

Say the car was a write-off, would they be entitled to only pay out to whoever you're buying another car off?
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

New plastic £50 note in circulation

Inventor and codebreaker Alan Turing is pictured

MSE News

TV MoneySaving tricks

How to save on Sky, Netflix, Now TV, Prime Video and more

MSE Guides

Pret subscription loophole

Get a month's worth of free smoothies, frappes, coffee etc

MSE Deals