Quick ISA question

Hi all

I opened a Santander ISA in August this year (last year if you're reading this after Tuesday) and will save the maximum by the end of April 2013.

Question is, you can save £5640 per year. Is this per financial year or per year from when the ISA was opened? I'm unsure whether I will be able to continue saving into my ISA from April to August.

Replies

• LintonLinton Forumite
    15.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Hung up my suit!
    Forumite
    Tax year - ends 5th April. After then you will need to set up a new one for 2013/2014, the limit will increase to £5760.
  • Yorkie1Yorkie1 Forumite
    11.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    It's per tax year (6 April - 5 April).

From next April the amount you can save into the ISA goes up to £5760.

Edit: snap!
  • Thanks both. As I thought.
  • pqrdefpqrdef Forumite
    4.6K Posts
    Linton wrote: »
    Tax year - ends 5th April. After then you will need to set up a new one for 2013/2014, the limit will increase to £5760.
    No need to start a new one. The counter on the existing ISA resets on 6th April.

Transfer to another later (or sooner) if you see a better deal - unlikely at present.
    "It will take, five, 10, 15 years to get back to where we need to be. But it's no longer the individual banks that are in the wrong, it's the banking industry as a whole." - Steven Cooper, head of personal and business banking at Barclays, talking to Martin Lewis
  • Why limit yourself to a cash ISA - you can put over £11k pa into a S&S ISA and invest the money in shares paying 5% dividend with the opportunity for capital gain as well!
  • MirnoMirno Forumite
    219 Posts
    Chrishazle wrote: »
    Why limit yourself to a cash ISA - you can put over £11k pa into a S&S ISA and invest the money in shares paying 5% dividend with the opportunity for capital gain as well!
    It's not an either or situation - you can put 5640 into a cash ISA, and a further 5640 into the S&S ISA (although you are responsible in this situation to ensure you don't go over your limit - if it's just the one account the bank should check for you).

Obviously there are other concerns with investment and it may not be the correct course of action for the OP. I put money into both as I want an emergency fund - for which cash is always best.
    Remember the value of your investment may go down as well as up!

Thanks,

Mirno
  • chris_mchris_m Forumite
    8.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Linton wrote: »

Why set up a new one? You can start contributing to a maxed-out ISA again once you're into a new financial year. Each financial year has an allowance and once one year has ended that's it, you can start again.

The only reason I can think of for opening a new ISA in the next financial year is if you find one paying a better interest rate. If that is the case, do NOT take the cash out from this year's one to pay it into the new one, because that will eat up next year's allowance - provided the new one accepts transfers you can transfer from the old ISA to the new one but must follow the correct process to ensure that the funds remain ISA-able.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Boost your Nectar points

Get up to £25 in bonus points

MSE News

Ask an Expert: Scams

Watch MSE Katie's answers to your questions

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals