IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Parking in Disabled bays

I am sick of not being able to park in a Disabled bay at the local Asda as they are full of people using the cash machines/nipping in to buy cigarettes/or just being ignorant. :mad::mad:

I spoke to somebody I know who was using his sons badge despite his son not being with him, when I mentioned that he is being selfish he couldn't see what was wrong.

Come on people, please be fair. I'm sure you wouldn't want my disability so why do you think it is OK to park in the spaces?

Rant over :)
If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything. - Mark Twain
Nappies and government ministers need to be changed frequently and for the same reason

Comments

• halibut2209
    halibut2209 Posts: 4,248 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    How do you know they are not disabled?
    One important thing to remember is that when you get to the end of this sentence, you'll realise it's just my sig.
  • newbie1980
    newbie1980 Posts: 2,016 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Trazy wrote: »
    I am sick of not being able to park in a Disabled bay at the local Asda as they are full of people using the cash machines/nipping in to buy cigarettes/or just being ignorant. :mad::mad:

I spoke to somebody I know who was using his sons badge despite his son not being with him, when I mentioned that he is being selfish he couldn't see what was wrong.

Come on people, please be fair. I'm sure you wouldn't want my disability so why do you think it is OK to park in the spaces?

Rant over :)

should have taken his registration as its abuse of badge to use it with the holder not in car
    the more people start to tell of these people the quicker people will start to not abuse the system

only downside to this is anyone can park in a disabled bay on private land as the fines are not enforceable
  • halibut2209
    halibut2209 Posts: 4,248 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    It's not an abuse of the badge. Blue Badges have no standing whatsoever on private land.
    One important thing to remember is that when you get to the end of this sentence, you'll realise it's just my sig.
  • Trazy
    Trazy Posts: 2,863 Forumite
    How do you know they are not disabled?

because when I pulled him up about it he said he knows he shouldn't park there as he is not disabled but it wasn't hurting anyone. I re-educated him
    Nappies and government ministers need to be changed frequently and for the same reason
  • Trazy
    It's not an abuse of the badge. Blue Badges have no standing whatsoever on private land.

I know blue badges have no bearing on private land but that doesn't make it right
  • rdwarr
    rdwarr Posts: 6,159 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    I know blue badges have no bearing on private land but that doesn't make it right

My wife doesn't have a blue badge but is disabled so is perfectly entitled to park in the disabled bays at Asda.

If you saw her car parked in a bay how you would know she was a genuinely disabled person and not somebody "being ignorant"?

Disabled parking spaces at supermarkets are purely advisable. People who abuse them (including those who asuume a blue badge gives them superior rights) are indeed contemptable but are not doing anything illegal.
    Can I help?
  • Trazy
    edited 29 December 2012 at 6:39PM
    rdwarr wrote: »
    My wife doesn't have a blue badge but is disabled so is perfectly entitled to park in the disabled bays at Asda.

If you saw her car parked in a bay how you would know she was a genuinely disabled person and not somebody "being ignorant"?

Disabled parking spaces at supermarkets are purely advisable. People who abuse them (including those who asuume a blue badge gives them superior rights) are indeed contemptable but are not doing anything illegal.

I know that not all disabled people have blue badges, if your wife is disabled she obviously does not fall into the ignorant category.

I agree that some people believe that having a blue badge means they can do whatever they like, fortunately I don't
  • Half_way
    Half_way Posts: 7,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Disabled bays are provided for a reason, and drivers should not deliberatly use them if they dont have the need to.
    As for genuine disabled drivers who find all the disabled spaces used up ( for whatever reason) and genuinely need the extra space for wheelchair use/mobility reasons then use whatever other space you can to the best of your ability, weather that be parent/child spaces, or by ocupying two bays by parking over the white line, as loong as you parking so not to cause an obstruction or safety risk then there should be no problem.
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
  • Trazy
    Half_way wrote: »
    Disabled bays are provided for a reason, and drivers should not deliberatly use them if they dont have the need to.
    As for genuine disabled drivers who find all the disabled spaces used up ( for whatever reason) and genuinely need the extra space for wheelchair use/mobility reasons then use whatever other space you can to the best of your ability, weather that be parent/child spaces, or by ocupying two bays by parking over the white line, as loong as you parking so not to cause an obstruction or safety risk then there should be no problem.

I wish I had the confidence to do this :o
  • Half_way
    Half_way Posts: 7,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 29 December 2012 at 7:24PM
    I wish I had the confidence to do this :o

Just do it, if you need to. and let the store know at the customer services desk, or upon entering.
    if they are running the car park correctly there shouldnt be a problem, as long as you arent obstructing traffic, or parking in such a way as to cause a safety issue.

In fact if they are realy doing the car park job right they should be able to find you an appropiate space/ area to park.
    I beleive that this could be termed making a reasonable adjustment, and in my opinion that would be a better solution to the disabled parking area ghetto thats not always in the best place - thats often seen in many supermarket car parks.
    One disabled parking area which i saw was on a sloping part of the car park, the flat part was further to the door, but it would be more apropiate to use that for disabled parking.
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure