Virgin Media/NTL, Sky - Additional set boxes etc.

Options
Hi.

Does anyone know how i can get to watch Digital TV in another room and also to not have to watch the same channel as the 'master controller'?

Do i have to order additional set top boxes and how do i go about doing this, and which company is the cheapest for this?

I'm currently on Virgin Media (NTL) but as stated in another thread i will be calling them soon to either get a massive reduction in my monthly packages fees or leave altogether. So at the moment i'm looking into all options.
If possible on virgin media i would be looking to get the 'addiction set top box' option thrown in for free as part of my reduced price.
If not i'll give Sky a call if i can find out their deal.

Oh, and does any of it require extra cables in the house interior?

Hope this makes sense, thanks for any help and advice.
Instigated terrorism the road to dictatorship.

Comments

• darwin-rover
    Options
    Infidel wrote: »
    Hi.

Does anyone know how i can get to watch Digital TV in another room and also to not have to watch the same channel as the 'master controller'?

Do i have to order additional set top boxes and how do i go about doing this, and which company is the cheapest for this?

I'm currently on Virgin Media (NTL) but as stated in another thread i will be calling them soon to either get a massive reduction in my monthly packages fees or leave altogether. So at the moment i'm looking into all options.
    If possible on virgin media i would be looking to get the 'addiction set top box' option thrown in for free as part of my reduced price.
    If not i'll give Sky a call if i can find out their deal.

Oh, and does any of it require extra cables in the house interior?

Hope this makes sense, thanks for any help and advice.

You will need a second box with Sky or VM . Both will need additional cabling to the room you're gonna be putting the second box into .
    You will most likely get a deal to keep you on VM (I did) , but expecting a MASSIVE reduction is a bit much , be realistic .
    Sky multiroom is another £10 on top of whatever package you take , and will probably NEVER get a retention deal with them if you threaten to leave .
  • Infidel
    Infidel Posts: 1,226 Forumite
    Options
    You will need a second box with Sky or VM . Both will need additional cabling to the room you're gonna be putting the second box into .
    You will most likely get a deal to keep you on VM (I did) , but expecting a MASSIVE reduction is a bit much , be realistic .
    Sky multiroom is another £10 on top of whatever package you take , and will probably NEVER get a retention deal with them if you threaten to leave .

Oh and how much do VM (NTL) charge for this additional box? I just need to get some facts and prices right before i call them.

But as for my dealing, i am long overdue one, currently i get

Telephone Line rental, Digital TV with SkyMovies & SkySports and 1-2Mb broadband (billed separately at £18 a month)

This all adds up to a whooping £66.25 a month, which i'm sure you may agree is a bit steep.

Add to this that i have been a customer for over 3 years and have recently been experiencing problems with my TV service (it won't load up properly meaning that i have already missed lots of the sports coverage i wanted to watch whilst going through the often long winded motion of calling customer services). Then there's the loss of the Sky channels which were one of the most watched.

So basically it may be time to change unless they can offer me something pretty damned decent.
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,690 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Be warned SKY customer service is S....E and if you want Sk+, multi room, sky movies and sports it will be more than you are currently paying.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • Infidel
    Options
    Well multi-room isn't necessary, i was just thinking it might be an extra sweetner to try and convince me to stay.
    The bottom line is that for what i am getting i am paying way over the odds, it seems my package is long outdated and there is so much competition out there that it appears i can get it much cheaper elsewhere.
    For example paying £18 a month for a maximum 2meg broadband connection is daylight robbery.
    For a start can ditch the movie channel as its never watched (in fact i wonder if anyone with broadband actually needs a movie channel, as i thought one of the points in having broadband was that you can download your own films).
    Also paying for all the channels seems like another waste of time as 80% of them are never watched. Basically we only watch Skysports, a couple of music channels and USED to watch the Sky channels than were taken away from Virgin.
    So like i said, the actual product was overpriced in the first place and now it's been reduced by say a 5th of what it used to be, so of course it's time to stop getting ripped off and change, everyone deserves a fresh start.
    Adding to this the severe inconvenience i have had in the past 2 weeks with a digital TV service that is slow to respond and often doesn't come on at all.

It could well be time to say bye bye virgin (NTL).
  • darwin-rover
    Options
    I would REALLY suggest ringing retentions and seeing what they could offer you . See if you can get put on the 3 for £30 bundle . Push them and see what you can get , just dont rip the @$$ out of it .
    Probably best to ring faults as well and get tour TV box checked out . Is it a Pace ? Samsung is far better , V+ is better again .
  • Infidel
    Options
    Is there a freephone number for faults???

Guess what, just turned on the box and its saying 'virgin powering up' again.....and its been on for 25minutes now. This is taking the p***!
  • Infidel
    Options
    I just have one more question about this additional set top box thing. I only want one so that i can watch a DIFFERENT channel in another room, not the same channel that's on in the other room (i'm not THAT unsociable, lol).
    So if i get an additional box with Virgin am i able to do this or will they add yet another charge on to be able to watch a different channel, and if so what is their 'code word' for this service????
  • darwin-rover
    Options
    Infidel wrote: »
    I just have one more question about this additional set top box thing. I only want one so that i can watch a DIFFERENT channel in another room, not the same channel that's on in the other room (i'm not THAT unsociable, lol).
    So if i get an additional box with Virgin am i able to do this or will they add yet another charge on to be able to watch a different channel, and if so what is their 'code word' for this service????

If you have a second box , you can watch 2 different TV channels . You will have the same channel selection on your second box that you have on the first , but they will be independant of each other . Phone retentions , say you're thinking of going to $ky and mention $ky Multiroom , as you're thinking of getting a second box . See what they offer you . Normally a second box is £9.50 a month but you could potentially get it for cheaper (I did). You could even try for the V+ box (HD , 160gig hard drive , 3 tuners)
    Freephone no. for faults is 151 .
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport