What happens if you don't attend ATOS medical

Options
I was claiming JSA contributions based from July when I was made redundant and then in September my doctor signed me off with depression and i have been claiming contributions based ESA, I received a letter last week asking me to attend a medical on Christmas Eve @ 2pm which I rung up to change as I did not want to be in the city centre at this time of day with all the Christmas revellers.

The more I think about the medical the more anxious I get so am considering not going, what will happen if I do not attend? Will they reclaim the ESA payments they have made?

I am mid 50,s worked all my life, never claimed ESA and only claimed JSA once for 6 weeks about 2 years ago, so very unsure of the system.

Comments

• nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,951 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    did they agree to change the date of your medical?

if you dont attend, and they havent agreed to postpone, then your benefit will stop
  • miduck
    miduck Posts: 1,800 Forumite
    Options
    nannytone wrote: »
    did they agree to change the date of your medical?

if you dont attend, and they havent agreed to postpone, then your benefit will stop

nannytone is correct, plus you will not receive any further payments until you have attended a medical.
  • princessdon
    Options
    They may not all be revellers, is it outside of a row of pubs? If not then chances are its just a normal day, bar some last minute shoppers. Can someone go with you? B
  • simon1966
    Options
    I believe they are open sunday's give the number a call and ask for it to be postponed if you don't facy attending Christmas Eve - failure to go will end in benefit being suspended, although they do write and ask why you did not attend and you have to reply within 7 days before a DWP decision maker decides if your excuse is acceptable.

Ring up and say you have Norovirus and ask for a new appointment in January.
  • miduck
    Options
    simon1966 wrote: »
    I believe they are open sunday's give the number a call and ask for it to be postponed if you don't facy attending Christmas Eve - failure to go will end in benefit being suspended, although they do write and ask why you did not attend and you have to reply within 7 days before a DWP decision maker decides if your excuse is acceptable.

Ring up and say you have Norovirus and ask for a new appointment in January.

Why are you suggesting that the OP lies? Far better to go and get it out the way, than to build up a web of lies and have the worry of still attending over Christmas.
  • Just_caring
    Options
    I have rung and changed the date to the 27th December but just thinking about going makes me feel jittery, I do not mind them stopping the benefit but will they try to re-claim benefit already paid to me?
  • miduck
    Options
    I have rung and changed the date to the 27th December but just thinking about going makes me feel jittery, I do not mind them stopping the benefit but will they try to re-claim benefit already paid to me?

No, they will not reclaim any monies already paid.
  • Just_caring
    Options
    When you receive your benefit fortnightly how is it paid eg: 2 weeks in advance, 2 weeks in arrears, a week in advance and a week in arrears?
  • iluvmarmite
    Options

If you don't mind them stopping you benefit why are you claiming in the first place? Can you afford not to get the money? Do you really need a sickness benefit then? Why not go back to JSA if you don't mind them stopping ESA
  • Muttleythefrog
    Options
    Focus on the descriptors when you go on the 27th... they're all that matter and the questions and observations made intend to try to get facts in order to determine applicability of the descriptors. Make sure you take any supporting medical evidence you have and give it to the person who does the medical. Your anxieties... well to be blunt that might not be a bad thing... if you have difficulties going out then make sure you convey so at medical if asked about such... and beware the 'how was your journey here?' question that could be asked before you even get to the assessment room. But make sure you attend.. take someone with you if necessary... last thing you need is automatic failing of the WCA with limited options for challenging the decision.
    "Do not attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by incompetence" - rogerblack
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure