Do not want to apply for my own job?

I am in a selection group of 10 at risk of redundancy because company is downsizing to 8 jobs. I was only one that applied for voluntary redundancy but was turned down because I am oldest with longest service = highest cost.

Now i have been told i must fill in application form for selection process for 8 jobs I am thinking if i refuse to submit a form then I could be sacked for gross misconduct. But what if i write a poor application to score lower than my colleagues and so get selected for compulsory redundancy?

Comments

• Are you a member of a union and if so have you sought advice from them?
  • Yes, i am a union member. Have written up the details for them and asked for assistance. Waiting for my appointment. Looking at forum for any additional pointers or experience i can take to the meeting.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    I would be asking why they need an application form to do the selection process don't they know the people allready, are they using any other criteria like attendance sick etc. what are they. Having refused VR have they allready decided you are staying and just going through the motions.

Also use the consultaion to find out what the jobs left will be like , is it cost cutting so every one ends up doing more or a genuine downturn in the amount of work, what happens if things pick up.
  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    [QUOTE=getmore4less;58087585]I would be asking why they need an application form to do the selection process don't they know the people allready, are they using any other criteria like attendance sick etc. what are they. Having refused VR have they allready decided you are staying and just going through the motions.

Also use the consultaion to find out what the jobs left will be like , is it cost cutting so every one ends up doing more or a genuine downturn in the amount of work, what happens if things pick up.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps the OP's employer operates an equal opportunity policy. Posts cannot just be given on the opinion of someone else (although it often is) , as for the jobs left 8 people doing a job of 10? That's good going as usually it's often 60% or more.
  • Thanks for the comments. DUTR is correct, it is very structured, open and transparent process with written evidence on capability, attendance, sickness, discipline, all being scored on a matrix by a panel of 2 levels of line management plus an independent manager. It has been used before and then was a 4th observer role for union rep. All to ensure there is no personal bias.

Getmore4less has it assessed correctly, everyone has a good idea of who is likely to score the least on such a formal scoring but there is some uncertainty around the bottom of the table so its very disruptive to all.

I am the fly in the ointment. Losing me is expensive and a lost opportunity to lose another. Dont seem to get the message that a dissatisfied volunteer could be worse than a reprieved man.

Because it is such a structured cost cutting programme i am worried that non-cooperation is seen as a disciplinary matter which is even cheaper result. No voluntary severance, no compulsory severance just a dismissal.
  • Is the redundancy scheme enhanced or just statutory? If it is a company scheme then the rules of that may well require that you apply for any suitable job within the organisation or you will be considered not to have attempted to mitigate your losses by trying to avoid redundancy.

Though I'm not sure about the gross misconduct possibility, certainly not applying could lose you any enhanced scheme money.

If it is just a statutory scheme, the difference in redundancy pay for individuals may not be so great because of the capping of a week's pay.
  • If you really want to leave then why not just offer them a compromise agreement for a lower payment than you would get via redundancy....or is greed the real reason you wish to leave?
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • real1314
    real1314 Posts: 4,432 Forumite
    If you really want to leave then why not just offer them a compromise agreement for a lower payment than you would get via redundancy....or is greed the real reason you wish to leave?

Maximising the reward for any given undertaking is what any business should seek to do.
    So why should the OP be labelled "greedy" for taking the same approach? :cool:
  • If you really want to leave then why not just offer them a compromise agreement for a lower payment than you would get via redundancy....or is greed the real reason you wish to leave?
    This is a really unfair comment.
    If you are employed by a company you accrue rights as per your contract of employment - if you work there for say 30 years you can accrue redundancy of about 100 weeks pay!
    It is not greed but a right SHOULD the company make you redundant.
  • real1314 wrote: »
    Maximising the reward for any given undertaking is what any business should seek to do.
    So why should the OP be labelled "greedy" for taking the same approach? :cool:

Because the OP wants to leave, if they didn't want to leave then fair enough in waiting out for the maximum payment but they want to leave and the company want to reduce their liability and the OP may not be in the bottom 2 come the end of the scoring.

If he wants to leave then offer a lower pay off than they would have to pay and it may save the company a lot of headaches
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure