New Post Advanced Search

'Is it time to kill off Santa?' blog discussion

27 replies 3K views
This is the discussion to link on the back of Martin's blog. Please read the blog first, as this discussion follows it.

Read Martin's "Is it time to kill off Santa? " Blog.

Please click 'post reply' to discuss below.

Replies

• aliasojoaliasojo Forumite
    23.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Link doesn't seem to be working for me. 'Google Chrome could not find....'
    Herman - MP for all! :)
  • torbrextorbrex
    71.3K posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Stop lying to your children, the truth is better for them and easier for you.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 posts
    Holiday Haggler
    MoneySaving Newbie
    In our household, we celebrate Chanukah and not Christmas. Because of this, we don't have a mythical person who delivers presents - our kids know exactly who buys and chooses them

Consequentially, we get nagged to high heaven for presents.

Santa isn't all bad!
  • ashleyriotashleyriot Forumite
    89 posts
    Ninth Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    In our household, we celebrate Chanukah and not Christmas. Because of this, we don't have a mythical person who delivers presents - our kids know exactly who buys and chooses them

Consequentially, we get nagged to high heaven for presents.

Santa isn't all bad!

Lol, Santa the Scapegoat.

I quite like that.

----

I like the idea of letting children know that presents are bought by parents but they don't have time to wrap them up nicely so the elves come and pick them all up, take them to the North Pole, put them in paper and deliver them back promptly on the 25th.

Cue carrots and bells etc. etc.
  • My mum used to say we could ask Father Christmas for one main present, (ie one year I asked for a Bicycle) and the other presents would be surprises and would be bought by our parents and family etc.

I see no issue with Children believing in Father Christmas, i find it rather pathetic to think that some parents might feel cheathed ("letting a mythical being take the credit.").

If children aren't spoilt to start with there is no reason for them not believe in Father Christmas or understand that they can't have everything.
  • mazza111mazza111 Forumite
    6.3K posts
    Children aren't children for long. Let them have a wee bit of magic in their lives. I always told the children, although they pick it and ask Santa for it, mum had to pay for it. Christmas can be kinda boring when there's no little ones around to enjoy it.
    4 Stones and 0 pounds or 25.4kg lighter :j
  • JimmyTheWigJimmyTheWig Forumite
    12.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why does Santa give more expensive gifts to rich children?
    In our family, Father Christmas brings some presents (main present plus stocking of small bits) and Mummy and Daddy (and others) buy others. So I bet that the rich children have got confused about what was from who, and they got similar presents from Father Christmas as you did, but their parents were able to buy them more.

As to why you can't have anything you want from Father Christmas, he buys some presents (e.g. the branded ones) and gets the elves to make others. But think about all the children he has to deliver to. Even Father Christmas has to stick to his budget, and there's only so much work the elves can do throughout the year.

I had a conversation with my son the other day, he asked why Santa didn’t give children in Africa presents, it made me feel sad
    I don't know. I really don't know. There's certainly something not right with the way the world works, isn't there.
  • edited 20 December 2012 at 2:49PM
    sidsmumsidsmum Forumite
    66 posts
    edited 20 December 2012 at 2:49PM
    How old are kids these days when they stop believing in Santa Claus/Father Christmas? I don't remember this wierd belief lasting till I was 8, though I'm not sure when realisation dawned with the aid of classmates. After that, we kept up the pillowcase ritual but knew who had to buy the stuff, with the greatest pleasure until I left home at the age of 20

My father was a nonconformist minister and we were very hard up, but somehow they found money for presents, though some years the previous year's present was sold to pay for the new one.
  • Torry_QuineTorry_Quine Forumite
    18.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Bake Off Boss!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Santa Claus comes from St Nicholas who was very real and so no I don't think we should kill off Santa!
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • Dave101tDave101t Forumite
    4.2K posts
    maybe santa could be implicated in the saville case, that would scare away the stories without bloodshed.
    Target Savings by end 2009: 20,000
    current savings: 20,500 (target hit yippee!)
    Debts: 8000 (student loan so doesnt count)

new target savings by Feb 2010: 30,000
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support