2013 Frugal Living Challenge

Options

Comments

• xnatalie81x
    Options
    Rising from the ashes - it's more time,space, washing lunch boxes etc. and I don't get any benefits (housing/council/income etc) although I do get some wtc and ctc. I just wondered as Quintwins mentioned her hubby worked (and her a few hrs) so I wondered if I as missing something.
    DFW since JAN 2009 - 2014 will be the year i finally clear debts :) Just to see which month :))))

One adult + 4 children + dog
  • mummy2threeboys
    Options
    HI all im joining in xx Im laura 34 and have 3 young sons 6,4,1 . One income family abut 25k,(so we are not eligible for any benefit help, we do ok though as long as we dont spend spend spend!) own our house mortage is about 40k , so hope to pay this off in 8 years, our long term plan is to travel the world more. This year id like to continue the debt busting whould be lovely to get rid of it all together ! Dh and i are getting remarried next month (cost £400 all in) and having a family holiday as i got a ppi reclaim, but thats our extravagance,. Im hoping by saving we can go to disneyland florida. personally id rather not have "stuff" we do not need clothes, make up etc and have memorys instead. Anyway hope to get to know you all soon xx
    Compers challenge 27/70
    £1805/2018
  • xnatalie81x
    Options
    My yearly income is also around 25,000 with income, chb, tc and wtc. After rent, debt, national insurance and living (what I included in my frugal challenge budget) I save an average £1000 mth so 12,000 a year. I have Debts which I've been clearing for a few years on a dmp and it was that which led me here many years ago! Have a loan and credit card left that affect my credit rating at about 12k total and 0%. I also have other debts that don't affect my credit rating so I pay monthly but less concerned about those. I guess plan is to fill isa every year then the rest off debts/as a safety net in case of emergencies for the next couple years. Then I have 6 years to save while repairing credit and get a mortage sometime after that (although may be able to buy outright by then!) in meantime we live in our touring caravan but next year ish we will be moving with my parents who now own current house outright and we are moving from London to Lincolnshire :))) I may be in a static on their land until ready. It's a loose plan as who knows what life will throw in between and when we move I will take a huge drop in income to £0!!! Until I find some work - ill look closer to time but swimming teachers are generally needed everywhere and I'm v good :)
    DFW since JAN 2009 - 2014 will be the year i finally clear debts :) Just to see which month :))))

One adult + 4 children + dog
  • kittiej
    kittiej Posts: 2,564 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 1 January 2013 at 12:40PM
    Options
    Morning All, Happy New Year to everyone - here's hoping you all have an excellent year and manage to achieve all you set out to do :T

I shall declare my £4k now:

£1200 for petrol (I wish I could ditch the car but it just isn't possible :()

£1200 for gas and electric (hoping to have some change left at the end of the year though)

£1200 for food shopping (I am going to have another bash at growing veg this year if the slugs will leave my plants alone)

This leaves £400 for emergencies like car repairs, unexpected expenses. With a bit of luck I will have change left because I really want a Buddha - mad but true :D

The very best of luck to you all.
    Karma - the consequences of ones acts."It's OK to falter otherwise how will you know what success feels like?"1 debt v 100 days £2000
  • Frugaldom
    Frugaldom Posts: 6,940 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Happy New Year! :)
    I reserve the right not to spend.
    The less I spend, the more I can afford.

Frugal living challenge - living on £4000 in 2024
  • seriouslyfrugal
    Options
    hi everyone,

welcome to everyone new :wave:

just wanted to wish everyone a HAPPY NEW YEAR

lets hope 2013 is good for all of us :D
    Emma :hello:
  • out_of_debt_at_last
    Options
    feeling a bit pleased with myself made pastys and soup from christmas day carrot and parsnips i never used and a bit of curry powder for the pasty's and coriander for the soup pasty's in oven looking yum, washing out on line as well today, not bad for someone with a stinker of an hangover!
    Having a Consumer Holiday 2015:A

• quintwins
    quintwins Posts: 5,179 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I live in n.ireland and you get free school meals and uniform allowance if you earn less than £17k a year here which we do as they don't tax credits ect into account, i'm sure it will go sometimes soon but until it does i'll be taking advantage of it, then i'll be swapping to pack lunch, you can freeze most of your pack lunch and pop it in frozen and it saves on iceblocks aswell, say sandwichs, yogurt, muffin/bun/fruit cake/banana bread from the freezer bottle of water and some fruit would be quick to throw in a wee bag but i do undertstand how it would be easier and we'e said when we pay the kids will have hot dinner on really cold days.
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • Savvy_sewing
    Savvy_sewing Posts: 11,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Due to some legalities, I cannot put my actual name on the site, Social Services, Adoption agencies etc.
    So I am Mooloo, 51, grandmother, 4 adult children, twins have learning difficulties, they do not live at home, but I have often had to pay thier bills and am still a carer for them to some degree.
    I live with my 5 year old Granddaughter. I have a special Guardianship for her, she has lived with me most of her life.
    The income has gone up and down, but is currently ESA, Child tax credits, child benefit and we are on the last year of the Special Guardianship allowance. So a bit more funds then if I was a single Mum.
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
  • Buffythedebtslayer
    Options
    Hello,

Well, I have paid my credit card with my savings - paid that on the 31st. Just waiting till the 3 rd to see how much of my 2000 budget I have left after paying rent, savings and loan repayments etc go out.

Have got Mum to use leftovers for lunch today and am encouraging her to defrost meat from the freezer and cook from the cupboards - we have LOADS of food thankfully even without Christmas!

Have spent the day up in the loft chucking stuff out and trying to sort my life out. Going pretty well really. knackered tho!

And started this post hours ago so had better find out what I have missed!

xxx
    Nevertheless she persisted.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family