2013 Frugal Living Challenge

Options

Comments

• JayneC
    JayneC Posts: 912 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all

I'm sweepng in late as usual! Things have slipped and I need to get a grip, so I'm back and will try to keep up this time!! I have been keeping my speadsheet updated and haven't done too badly over the past year, but still a bit scatty, so need to be more organised.

Here's my budget:

TV Licence £150
    Home Phone and broadband £400
    Mobile £186
    Life Ins £118
    Power and fuel £1000
    Home Ins £120
    Pet ins £100
    Grocery inc cleaning/toiletries £1300
    Pets £300
    DS expenses (inc pocket money/activities/education/clothing) £1100

Total £5234.00

I have £5267 left from reliable income after fixed expenses (mortgage/council tax/water/debts/car - required for work)
    So it's tight.

This does not include any leisure/gift/clothing/household/etc costs so these must be met from any other income I might acquire.
    I do AVON, mystery shops, ebay, car boots, surveys, freegle and dabbled with the local country market but found travelling costs were more than I earned so that's off the list for now. I'm looking into doing classes 'make and create' so let you know how that goes.
    DS1 pays board when he has work but is self employed and work is inconsistent. DD3 is mostly away at uni, so doesn't pay any board - more like costs me money!! Other DDs now left home. I get CTC for DS2 and am going to ask his dad for something towards his keep. I had originally said when we split that I didn't want anything as I have the house, but I've done some calculations and taking into account the equity he could give me around £100 per month and we'd be even by time DS is 18 (he's 14 now).

think that's it for now, will PM Frugaldom to be added to list and look forward to seeing how everyone does.

Jayne x
    Official DFW nerd - 282 'Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts'
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z member # 56
  • miss_empty_piggy
    Options
    Well if we're doing introductions, I am Billy (girl), I have 3 daughters (14,13 and 8), I live with them and my DOH who is self-employed and I work full time as a teacher.

We are a reconstituted family (not sure if that is the correct term) DOH and I got together about 18 months ago, and our eldest is his from his previous marriage. My 2 daughters are the fabulous product of a previous 17 year relationship. So far things are going brilliantly and for the first time in my whole life I am truly happy.

We told the girls today of our budgetting/frugalling plans for the year, and how we plan to get sorted out together and that hopefully by this time next year we should be in a lot better position financially. They said that they would support us which was nice.

So, todays frugaldom included making a beef stew in the slo-cooker massively padded out with potatoes and carrots, home made bread and veg that needed finishing. I also made homemade pizza at lunchtime and they were fine with it. We also all took the dog to the beach for a walk. Was quite surprised as it has proved difficult getting the eldest two out of their beds over the christmas period, and away from their gadgets (iphones/pads/pods etc!). We got wellies on, hats, scarves and gloves and took a flask of coffee and bottles of squash and crisps and left over choc to "keep them going", which helped them not be swayed by the double arches on the way home.

I've also attempted lentil soup (which I've never made before) from the store cupboard, we'll see what that tastes like tomorrow. At the minute it's just trial and error finding meals that we all like and that are cheap, I know we'll get there.
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,625 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I'll try and assemble an intro that makes sense before I turn in for the night (up at 4:30am for work the next 3 days!), as I'll forget if I leave it until tomorrow ;)

I'm Cheryl, I'm 46 (47 this month), have 3 children (DD of 28, and DSs of 23 and 21) and 3 grand-daughters (9.5, almost 8 and the baby who'll be 1 the day after I turn 47). I was married for 16 years, but was widowed just over 4 years ago. My elder son lives with me, but spends so much time at his girl-friend's place that I normally only see him a couple of evenings a week (he's working nights at the moments, so it's a brief time between him getting up and going out) and possibly one morning as he comes home if it's not a day I'm working.

After my kids told me it was time to get on with my life I started dating again, and hit the jackpot in November 2011 :D My OH generally stays at the weekend, so I cook for the two of us on a Saturday and possibly one Sunday in 3 (he's on a 3 week shift pattern, so the time he leaves varies according to his shift the next week).

I worked in IT from 1985 until 2008 (when I was made in redundant), then after a year of being a SAHM to my youngest (not that he was young enough to need one) I worked in a supermarket bakery for 2 years. I resigned from that job in Nov 2011 due to some health issues caused by working conditions (which management/company weren't doing anything about). Last September I started working at the gym I'd been a member of for just over 2 years, and am now a cleaner there for 24 hours/week (6am-2:30pm Wed, Thur & Fri).

My grocery budget is a lot higher than I'd like, which is partly due to my OH introducing me to high quality foods (mainly meats, so it's partially offset by having less at a time) but mainly due to health problems which appear to be at least in part due to lactose intolerance :( I'm just about to start a new exclusion diet as there also looks to be a possibility that I could have a problem with eggs (common with lactose) and peanuts!! I'm also having to change my diet to bring my cholesterol levels down (one reason I'm happy to change to the better quality meats and reduce quantities) so that I can avoid the statins my GP wants to give me!
    Cheryl
  • dizzy_lizzie
    dizzy_lizzie Posts: 2,952 Forumite
    Options
    Happy New Year everyone.
    Page 5 already on the new thread! Great to see new posters as well as familiar ones and all the enthusiam :)

My plan this year is to join a couple of challenges and stick to them (fingers crossed)
    Stay mindful of my spending and cut out frivolous spends like spur of the moment magazines.
    Menu plan and shop to a list.
    x
    Official DFW Nerd Club Member no:219
    In the Court Of The Crimson King
    I don't believe in the concept of hell, but if I did I would think of it as filled with people who were cruel to animals.
    Gary Larson
  • xnatalie81x
    Options
    Yesterday popped to dunhelm mills with my mum as needed petrol got 70/100 of this months petrol and the other 30/100 will be gas (dual fuel) I also bought a winter scene Winnie pooh tin (will reveal in a min) for 99p. When I paid for petrol got a £5 off £50 sainsbury shop. Be rude not to so after went to sainsbury.

Spent £6.19 or toiletries budget on pack basics nappies (only one child in nappies and nighttime only so will last month - he is 2yr 1mth and been trained since 21 mths thanks to cloth) plus soap and soda crystals for laundry gloop (stocked up) then spent 2.49 gifts budget on ingredients for no bake peanut fudge and choc to make for sis birthday on 23rd jan to put in winter tin! Total or gift for her £3.48 :) with a little extra fudge for me ;)

Food shop totalled £39.60 and added to AG order of £46.79 and school dinners £120 mth that's close to my £220 total leaving £3.16 for milk, potatoes etc and £10.00 for meals I'm missing.

Not much planned for today :)
    DFW since JAN 2009 - 2014 will be the year i finally clear debts :) Just to see which month :))))

One adult + 4 children + dog
  • quintwins
    quintwins Posts: 5,179 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Morning all not much going on here, slept in abit and then stayed in bed because it was cold.

Hubbys back to work today so one less mouth to fed :) All food is stuff i have in that needs used up.

Lots of cleaning today after being so ill i really do need to make a start it's near lunchtime after all.

£29.02 out in dd this morning i've spent £40 already which is abit scary!!!
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • ostrichnomore_2
    Options
    This is really focussing my mind.

I needed new work shoes and decided to buy two pairs in the sales. Kept thinking 'oh should I just have a look in there' about clothes, but the thought of having to put them on my spreadsheet when I don't really need them at all at the mo, stopped me. It's that whole 'need' versus 'want' thing, and right now what I want is to build up my savings. And this is great for making me realise that the odd fiver here and there really does matter.
    Paid for parking near work today - bad, lazy, but I have built into my budget to do that once a week or so, so let myself off as it's first day back :-(
    Brought in reduced quiche from freezer and some leftover chicken for lunch - big saving over usual habit of buying crisps/sandwich/drink deal.
    Going to whip to supermarket lunchtime and made myself a shopping list for first time for years. 3 things needed, 3 things (only!) will be bought. :-)

I'm loving this challenge!
    [STRIKE][/STRIKE]I am a long term poster using an alter ego for debts and anything where I might mention relationship problems or ex. I hope you understand :o
    LBM 08/03/11. Debts Family member [STRIKE]£1600[/STRIKE], HMRC NI £324.AA [STRIKE]137.45[/STRIKE]. Halifax credit card (debt sold to Arrow Global)[STRIKE]673.49[/STRIKE]Mystery CCJ £252 Santander overdraft £[STRIKE]239[/STRIKE] £0 .
  • floella80
    floella80 Posts: 247 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Well done everyone for being frugal. I'm not sure I am brave enough to join at the moment, but I will be following the advice on here and see how well I can do at a frugal living. Good luck everyone!
    Former Debt free wannabe. Now trying to save for a rainy day!
  • vintagebrighton
    Options
    Not off to a very good start today. I knew DD's were coming out for gas, elec and tv licence and had budgeted accordingly.. unfortunately the elec co decided to take an extra £16 without telling me:mad: Thankfully there was enough in there but I'm furious.... This means I now have to find £76 extra this month instead of £60 :(

Back to work but didn't spend anything.. my bus pass is already paid for and I resisted coffee, snacks, magazines etc .. all the usual. The plan this afternoon is to get my frugal challenge budget sorted and add to my sig. :)

Lots of expenses are fixed so can't do anything about those.. they've all been shaved, moved, cut back already. I can do something about my 'stuff' ie make up, clothes, pressies etc. I don't spend a lot (I don't think I do anyway) but was thinking maybe a budget of £520 for the year? Is that doable? Not sure... it should be if I plan. Will ponder and come back later x
  • mummy2threeboys
    Options
    Just wondering where is the best plce to get spreadsheets maybe print offs? And where do you go about setting a budget starting point? We are on gas/electric meters too so pointers in budgeting those in whould be fab. Do i just write down the readings once a week and try to keep them s low as possible by keeping heating off , lights etc? thanks
    Compers challenge 27/70
    £1805/2018
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family