Wheelchair Accessories

Hiya guys, a wee question for those among you who use a wheelchair. DD is being assessed for her first self propelling wheelchair soon :( However, having never needed to use one before, I was wondering if any of you have advice on what accessories would be best to get her. I've ordered a pair of leather and gel filled gloves, someone told me these were a must (and might actually stop her fingers dislocating!!) So any advice gratefully received.

Thank x
4 Stones and 0 pounds or 25.4kg lighter :j

Comments

• Chorlie
    Chorlie Forumite Posts: 1,029
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Forumite
    You're best waiting to find out the results of the assessment, because depending on the type of chair or if you go down the Voucher route will alter what maybe needed.

When assessed make sure she is also assessed for a cushion, that is way more important than gloves.
  • luminated
    luminated Forumite Posts: 1,168 Forumite
    I've just been issued with my second wheelchair and this time with a powerpack and can agree with the above poster a cushion. My first wheelchair had no cushion and I can't believe how much more comfortable it is. Also a bag, or something to put your own bag on - perhaps to carry a pump unless you have the solid tyres. The last thing that comes to Mind is a walking stick holder as I have two and holding them whilst being pushed is quite difficult :T
  • mazza111
    mazza111 Forumite Posts: 6,327 Forumite
    Thnx guys. We're thinking back to when mum got her's. It was a normal person pushing one that had a cushion (so have a spare if needed). It's a self propeller she's getting. So fingers crossed it comes with a cushion.

The walking stick holder is something I was thinking about luminated. Any ideas on that? Need something to hold her two crutches while she's on the move. I'll have a google around, but am grateful to hear the ideas on what you guys use x
  • luminated
    mazza111 wrote: »

The walking stick holder is something I was thinking about luminated. Any ideas on that? Need something to hold her two crutches while she's on the move. I'll have a google around, but am grateful to hear the ideas on what you guys use x

My chair was supplied via OT & so was the two walking sticks holder so can't you ask for them to be fitted? Mine is a cup, at the bottom, that takes the ends of the two sticks and they are the thick ends being the NHS supplied sticks. Then further up the frame is a leather strap left fastened such a way you can slide the two sticks through down to the cup at the bottom. It was either this or a one single stick holder of each side.
  • mazza111
    Thanks hon, that's a great help. Gives a wee bit of an idea of what we should be asking for :)
  • luminated
    You need to be patient though. My wheels took four months & then a further month to get the stick holders :T
  • mazza111
    Not in much of a rush hon. She can't use it indoors until the rehouse her. Her flat's too small atm, they came out to look at it to see how they could adapt it and they couldn't do much, so they've decided she's top priority for a housing association flat :T It's a 2 bedroom though, so may have to pay some rent.
  • Chorlie
    Chorlie Forumite Posts: 1,029
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Forumite
    She'll need an under seat bag (bum bag style), so she can put keys, money etc into it, since its uncomfortable to have keys etc in your pockets.

Depending on the chair & her disability; than there are things like Arm Rests, Gel Back Rest, Anti-Tip Bars, different type / style of front castors, different type / style of rear wheels, different types of tyres.

There are so many different things, but a lot will depend on what comes at standard with the chair, the type and style of chair and whether its a standard NHS chair or if you are offered a voucher (and except it) to buy your own chair. Plus it also depends on her disability & whether she will be pushing it herself or being pushed in it....so its not the easiest question to answer.
  • mazza111
    Thnx Chorlie. Unfortunately I can't answer your questions as yet. But I thought it would be an idea for some stocking fillers for her. I'll update as soon as we know anything.
  • Heycock
    Heycock Forumite Posts: 1,359
    Tenth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Revolving knives on the wheels and a plastic scraper to remove the dog dirt from the tyres.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 338.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 248.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 447.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 230.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 601K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 171.1K Life & Family
  • 244.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure