New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Cost of moving a static caravan.

edited 11 December 2012 at 10:06AM in House Buying, Renting & Selling
4 replies 22.9K views
andreweastellandreweastell Forumite
93 posts
edited 11 December 2012 at 10:06AM in House Buying, Renting & Selling
We bought a static caravan 2 months ago. Due to the pitch flooding we asked the owners to move us to another pitch. He has charged us £1,000, does this sound a bit excessive?
Thanks for any advice.
Andrew

Replies

• Waterlily24Waterlily24 Forumite
    1.3K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    I can't remember how much it cost to move the one we had, but I do know it costs a lot more for a 12ft wide one. I'll find out if hubby can remember how mich it cost.
  • paddyrgpaddyrg Forumite
    13.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds outrageous at first, but he has you over a barrel. If it includes plumbing, electrical hookups, levelling etc it is somewhat less outrageous, and perhaps there is a component for a more valuable pitch?

One thing to note, whilst vans are supposedly mobile, they are in the loosest sense - once one has been sat a while it can be a tough job to move it without damage, so give it a good check when you see it next.
  • As paddyrg says, they have you over a barrel, but...

Moving a static isn't the easiest thing. Depending where it is on the park, where it's going and what's on the other pitch it can take 4-6 men a good few hours, then they will need to get it levelled, connected and safety tested etc

The company I used to work for wouldn't let you move pitch, but when we did initially sell a caravan we did have to allocate £1k for siting of the caravan from the sale price so does sound in the right kind of range.
  • Thanks for your replies.
    Yes, it does include "plumbing, electrical hookups, levelling etc".
    Andrew
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support