Small Claims Court

Options

Comments

• somethingcorporate
    Options
    How did you pay? If via credit card you could talk to your provider about a s75 claim.
    Thinking critically since 1996....
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    With little info to go on a blog could very well be classed as libel. If Tesco fight and win then the blog could see you end up in their legal teams sights.
  • arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'd be interested in information about the case.......
  • shocky_2
    shocky_2 Posts: 189 Forumite
    Options
    I don't think it would affect your case. Given the number of articles written about Tesco everyday I doubt they would notice anyway.

The only thing to be careful of is that if Tesco wins the case, then if you have slated Tesco in a blog the judge is more likely to make you pay Tesco's legal costs.

Remember that being "promised" a refund legally does not mean anything. The issue is whether you were entitled to a refund in the first place, not whether someone at Tesco said you should get one. Do be careful.
  • Techhead_2
    Techhead_2 Posts: 1,769 Forumite
    Options
    Should it end up in court then some courts will take a dim view of you trying to affect the other parties business. Put basically, its the court's job to decide on any " punishment".

Personally, I would let the court do it's job and if you want to write about it then do so afterwards.
  • Equaliser123
    Options
    Not illegal but really pretty stupid to do so as Courts are required to look at the conduct of the parties before and during the litigation.

Small claims is private. I cannot imagine a District Judge being impressed about a petty way of stirring up trouble. Courts are the place for disputes to be heard, not Twitter.

Anyway, Tesco will settle straight away as they won't want to waste their resources on defending rubbish like this.
  • Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    Options
    ...Anyway, Tesco will settle straight away as they won't want to waste their resources on defending rubbish like this.

Is that correct?

What is the upper limit that Tesco will "settle straight away as they won't want to waste their resources on defending rubbish like this", as I could do with a few bob myself, Christmas coming up and all. :cool:
  • vaio
    vaio Posts: 12,287 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The sub judice rules & Contempt of Court Act kick in on civil proceedings when a trial date has been set and anything published after this date which could influence the case could be deemed unlawful

Meanwhile, back in the real word, a blog leading up to a small claim against Tesco is most unlikely to bother the great legal minds of this country
  • Equaliser123
    Options
    Wywth wrote: »
    Is that correct?

What is the upper limit that Tesco will "settle straight away as they won't want to waste their resources on defending rubbish like this", as I could do with a few bob myself, Christmas coming up and all. :cool:

In my experience, yes. I've never known a large retailer to actually defend a small claim that has some basis.
  • vaio
    vaio Posts: 12,287 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yep, but I think Wywth's point was do they bother defending cases that have no basis?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure