Starbucks £1 for any cake Sunday when u buy a drink

Options
2»

Comments

• ytfcmad
    ytfcmad Posts: 380 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    They can stick it where the sun don't shine.
  • ninja306
    ninja306 Posts: 51 Forumite
    edited 9 December 2012 at 10:46AM
    Options
    Ah, you mean like the one I enjoyed at my friends cafe round the corner this afternoon? Yep, cheaper but he doesn't do the Egg Nog lattes I love in the winter or the frappacinos the rest of the year. Nice to mix it up a bit, his place one day, Starbucks the next, maybe a bit of Pret. Then another little place on the way to work. I don't think I am easily sucked in by branding but hey you clearly know me better than myself who am I to argue.

Doc N - I don't debate that Starbucks should be paying more taxes with their UK profits but the FACT of the matter is UK laws allow them to do it. The laws need to be changed, it ain't rocket science. Unfortunately, there are a lot of people easily sucked in by the whole blame the big guy hysteria. No-one in this thread though, obviously.

I fail to see how it's "cynical" when every man and his dog are running a promotional campaign at the moment. The truth is, you just don't know either way.

Anyway, I'm counting four £1 cakes you lot are leaving for me tomorrow omnomonomnomnom
  • mcallister1
    mcallister1 Posts: 2,198 Forumite
    Options
    Doc_N wrote: »
    Call it a promotion if you like, but it's a cynical attempt to get back the customers they've lost as a result of their aggressive tax avoidance.

If you're fickle enough not to see through it, and naive enough not to see the damage companies like Starbucks are causing to the NHS and the entire social fabric of the UK, and the increased taxes that means for the rest of us - fine.
    You could say cynical- or you could say that unlike some of the other, harder to hit tax dodgers they have had to respond to their customers. I'd like them to change their tax system and for the government to change too, I have been boycotting- but I am going to go in tomorrow as I think they have done what they can quickly. I will be encouraging them to follow through to a fairer system.
  • problemcashback
    Options
    get some things right, this is their usual yearly promotion so nothing to do with tax. secondly, if the government allows you to get a tax break you take it, think the uniform tax, share purchase I could go on. problem isnt with the companies its the government you would do the same
  • mark5211
    mark5211 Posts: 184 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Every branch in Manchester was heaving today, I had a £10 voucher that expires today and couldnt use it as they were so busy.
  • Treevo
    Treevo Posts: 1,937 Forumite
    Options
    Doc_N wrote: »
    Call it a promotion if you like, but it's a cynical attempt to get back the customers they've lost as a result of their aggressive tax avoidance.

If you're fickle enough not to see through it, and naive enough not to see the damage companies like Starbucks are causing to the NHS and the entire social fabric of the UK, and the increased taxes that means for the rest of us - fine.

Was it a cynical attempt at that last year? And the year before? When they've run this promotion previously.

Not everything's a conspiracy Doc. ;)
  • silkcutblue
    silkcutblue Posts: 635 Forumite
    edited 9 December 2012 at 12:09PM
    Options
    Their branch near my work has gone from always busy to barely anyone in there after their tax avoidance came to light.

Still, thanks for the post - peeps can make up their own mind re: buying stuff in there.

Personally I won't be.
  • imposter
    imposter Posts: 791 Forumite
    Options
    Grabbit's not the place for politics... but let's just say I won't be taking advantage of this offer :rotfl:
    Elite 5:2 #54 12/13 lbs (18 Jan) 1st Target :j
  • ceebeeby
    ceebeeby Posts: 4,357 Forumite
    Options
    Our coffee and cake was lovely ... We took advantage of the living social and £1 cake, so 3 yummy coffees and big cakes for £6. Thanks Claire, saved us about £8-10!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure