Rising to the top of the ocean - and staying afloat!

Options

Comments

• rising_from_the_ashes
    Options
    *sigh* - didn't manage to get the iron!:(

I know you can order stuff from the Mr T Direct catalogue to get it sent to your local store but ... popped into Mr T direct store - thinking it'd be a bit like Ar*gos where they have stuff in stock ....... noooooo Rising, how could you be so silly! :mad:

You still have to order it & get it sent there .... what!:wall::wall::wall:

Ended up ordering it and it'll be in my local (errr 8 mile away!) store after 4pm tomorrow .... how come Ar*gos can manage to have a system where I can reserve something and then drive to the store and pick it up in 20 mins time ... Mr T mmmm not impressed TBH!

Means a trip out to get it unfortunately but I really need it now - pile of ironing is errr piling up ;) (and I hate doing it at the best of times) and I'm into wrinkly t-shirts (OK around the house but not great if you do have to go out!)
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • elantan
    elantan Posts: 21,018 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It's Friday night now... Officially the weekend * opens a bottle of wine, and a box of chocolates *

Can I interest anyone in calorie free chocolate and non hangover wine?
  • rising_from_the_ashes
    Options
    Bus fund

Background ..... I live is a pretty rural area & roads are carp when the weather's bad & I don't particularly like driving in snow / ice:o

There's a huge hill with a huger shear drop :eek: that I have go go up & over each way to work - and it's terrible for extra snow / ice (as it's so high) and there's often black ice on the way down :(

So - if it's really bad, I get the bus (that's how much I hate driving in it:rotfl:). Bit of a nightmare as a mile + walk to the bus stop (not great as I have a gammy foot!), the wait and then around 20 min journey ... compared to 15 mins door to door in the car :cool:

Apart from the above - the downside is the cost .... £8 / day on the bus compared to £3 in fuel!:eek: OK if it's the odd trip, but if there's a bad couple of weeks in a row then it really blows the budget! (as in the bad winter a couple of winters ago).

Not worth buying a weekly or monthly pass as it can be odd days here & there so ... it's £4 each way.

There is now a 2nd bus option :) but it's just a small company with limited buses running a day & at odd times (for fitting in with work).

I could manage to get the morning one and it's a lot cheaper @ £2 :) (just shows eh!) - but would still need to get the original bus home.... so that would be £6 / day instead of £8 / day.

Just not sure how many to budget for now!

Originally I'd gone with 3 weeks @ £8 / day = £120 but I could cut that to £90 if it was £6 / day .... or do I leave it at £120 and go for 4 weeks on the bus instead of 3:o.

Surely I'd not need to get the bus for 4 weeks ..... help!

£90 is probably more realistic as not been doing too well with putting money aside - I've been putting the LO money from the Weekly Spend Challenge to it the past few weeks which has made a big difference but still no-where near what it should be!:eek:
  • rising_from_the_ashes
    Options
    :rotfl:Well ... I did warn you I could waffle :o :rotfl::rotfl:
  • elantan
    Options
    I would gO with the £90 with the option to add more if needed
  • elantan
    Options
    And we can all waffle so don't feel guilty for being normal :)
  • rising_from_the_ashes
    Options
    :o thanks :o

Funny how things can seem huge / difficult and then you put them down and it seems easier to deal with :) - especially with the support on the boards :T.

£90 def seems more realistic:D and, worst case scenario and I used all of that, I could always use the £2 coin jar to top it up:eek:. That's actually one of the reasons it's so low as these were taken out of the bus fund and put into the £2 coin challenge :o.

Knew offloading helped with decision making!:)
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,321 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Go for 100 quid.

El~Pass some wine & chocolate :drool:
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • rising_from_the_ashes
    Options
    elantan wrote: »
    It's Friday night now... Officially the weekend * opens a bottle of wine, and a box of chocolates *

Can I interest anyone in calorie free chocolate and non hangover wine?
    beanielou wrote: »
    El~Pass some wine & chocolate :drool:

*sigh* ... now that's the money side of things sorted ;)

Big glass for me please .... been a long week:o

:beer:
  • Shortie
    Shortie Posts: 2,224 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ahhhh, yup - for new diary readers .... I've been a bit unwell recently - I've got Crohn's Disease and it's had a bit of a flare up unfortunately .... I had a spell of 10 days in hospital in October and then pretty much housebound since:(. The infusions are a relatively new treatment (and there's a trial going on just now that I managed to get on) so hoping they may help ... fingers crossed.

OOohhh no :( One of my closest friends in secondary school (we've since mostly lost contact as people do) has this too. Two weeks after she started at secondary school she went in to have a colostomy - how hard must that have been - starting a new school and having a major op within weeks of each other I'll never know! Fingers crossed the infusion trials go well, adn that was brave of you for going on the trial too xx
    April 2021 Grocery Challenge 34.29 / 250
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport