Forum Home» Insurance & Life Assurance

Police broke down my front door - who pays? - Page 2

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Police broke down my front door - who pays?

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Insurance & Life Assurance
22 replies 54.7K views
2

Replies

  • Oli.sOli.s Forumite
    546 posts
    Seventh Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Sgt_Pepper wrote: »
    I'm sorry but you're wrong. The police will pay.

    As above, if they broke your door down in good faith even though your neighbours concern was wrong they will pay.

    If they had a court warrant or they did it to arrest you or because you had illegal drugs, property etc in your house they won't pay.

    They won't just ask you to pop into the station and hand over cash on the spot though. You need to either have the repair done and pay, then send them the bill, or get estimates and send them in to them to assess. (In your case it's likely you'll have to have the repair done then bill them unless your door is still functioning and you can wait).

    It's not a quick process and will be dealt with by the office of the force solicitor.

    It's also worth noting that they will only pay for like for like, so don't have a cheap door replaced with something top of the range, they will decline the claim if they think your trying to take the mick.

    The officers who broke your door down will have noted the type, condition etc and the police solicitor will contact them to check if they think your claim has been exaggerated.

    Best thing to do is ring your local station and ask for the contact details which will be a postal address and possibly email, very unlikely that there will be a phone number.
  • edited 7 December 2012 at 4:35PM
    ElLastElLast Forumite
    7 posts
    edited 7 December 2012 at 4:35PM
    Hi guys
    Bit of an update.

    I've spoken to the police on 101 and they have asked me to write to their legal division at New Scotland Yard detailing what happened. The lady on the end of the phone said they would pay for the replacement door etc. as it wasn't for anything illegal - HOWEVER as with all things like this she might not be that well informed. Either way, the letter has gone off today.

    As I am a leaseholder of my flat, I phoned the freeholder and told them what had happened. As I am only a leasehold owner, I am only required to take out private contents insurance, which on review does not cover my door etc. My buildings insurance is done through the freeholder, for which I pay what I deem to be a rather large sum of cash each year (it is a group policy covering about 90 or so flats). They have said the replacement door etc will be covered by the buildings insurance, however there is a £250 excess on the policy.

    I have completed a claim form they sent me and have mailed it back to them today, advising them of what happened and have also said that the police may pay up. They will organise the repairs on my behalf however, it's just a question of whether or not I pay the £250 excess it seems.

    Just have to wait to hear from the police/insurers now. Will keep this updated for future reference!

    Final edit - re me going away, it was a bit of a short notice thing and I was not in a particularly good frame of mind/health when I left. Over the past few weeks this was one thing that was playing on my mind, hence my father heading up to the flat to check on it/speak to my neighbour (I didn't have their phone number) - it was just a week too late unfortunately. Live and learn and all that :)
  • Sally_ASally_A Forumite
    2.3K posts
    Glad you are perking up EILast, maybe confide in your nearest neighbours next time.

    Despite the mood and the cynicism of the country, there are a lot of good neighbours out there - treasure them, as only by thanking them will they continue to look out for you and others.

  • Sally_A wrote: »
    Glad you are perking up EILast, maybe confide in your nearest neighbours next time.

    Despite the mood and the cynicism of the country, there are a lot of good neighbours out there - treasure them, as only by thanking them will they continue to look out for you and others.

    Absolutely right :) I'm fortunate in that the people in my block of 6 flats seem to keep an eye out for each other. A few months ago, we had a 60-something old lady in one of the flats upstairs fall down the stairs - I heard an almighty crash so went out to have a look and got a right shock. I quickly summoned my neighbours and we got the ambulance out, turned out she fractured her neck and an inch the other way she would have died :(

    Since then, we as a block keep an eye on her and check to see she's OK, ask if she needs any help with things in her flat etc... it makes for a much more pleasant living environment than ignoring each other :D
  • Oli.sOli.s Forumite
    546 posts
    Seventh Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    If the LL is replacing the door and only requires you to pay £250 you should tell the police legal dept this, as this is all you should claim for.

    Let your LL's insurance co claim the rest if they wish, but if you claim the full cost and only pay £250, then the LL's insurance also claim (which they most likley will) you may find yourself at the wrong end of a fraud charge.
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • edited 10 December 2012 at 2:30PM
    ElLastElLast Forumite
    7 posts
    edited 10 December 2012 at 2:30PM
    Oli.s wrote: »
    If the LL is replacing the door and only requires you to pay £250 you should tell the police legal dept this, as this is all you should claim for.

    Let your LL's insurance co claim the rest if they wish, but if you claim the full cost and only pay £250, then the LL's insurance also claim (which they most likley will) you may find yourself at the wrong end of a fraud charge.

    Just to make it clear - I have no intention of defrauding the police or trying to make money out of this, all I want is my door fixed at as little cost to me as possible!

    The freeholder is organising the repair of the door and have the necessary police reference details. If the police confirm they will cover the full cost of the repair then fine, this is the ideal as then no claim will need to be made under insurance - I don't believe this is fraudulent?!

    If they won't pay it, then a claim will be made under insurance by the freeholder on my behalf and I will pay the £250 excess. I have already advised the freeholder that the police may pay on my claim form.
  • Just a bit of an update for those that are interested / searching the internet to find the answer to my question!

    Since my last post I have heard back from both my freeholders/insurance and the police. I had a letter back after a few weeks from the police legal team at New Scotland Yard - unfortunately they will not pay for the cost of repairing my door etc as they had justifiable reason to force entry into my premises, although they were apologetic about the matter.

    The freeholders/insurance sent someone round to look at the door etc - it requires a new door, locks and frame which will need to be installed/painted over the period of a few days. The contractor came to look at the door between Xmas and New Year and I'm still waiting to get the go ahead from the freeholder/insurance company for him to do the work. It does look like I'll be paying the £250 excess though :undecided:

    Live and learn I suppose!
  • amiehallamiehall Forumite
    1.4K posts
    I am concerned that someone could easily act maliciously and leave you to foot the bill! While I understand why you wouldn't want to in this case, would you be able to claim the door repair costs from your neighbour in a small claims court? I would be deeply unhappy that someone who didn't know me well enough to have my mobile number would be able to have my door broken down! I just think that if you had that kind of relationship with your neighbours they would have your number/key at the very least, why on earth should you have to foot the bill because the police have broken down your door for no reason?
    Sealed Pot Challenge #239
    Virtual Sealed Pot #131
    Save 12k in 2014 #98 £3690/£6000
  • antrobusantrobus Forumite
    17.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ElLast wrote: »
    ...I had a letter back after a few weeks from the police legal team at New Scotland Yard - unfortunately they will not pay for the cost of repairing my door etc as they had justifiable reason to force entry into my premises, although they were apologetic about the matter....

    Yes, contrary to what other posters have stated, as a general rule the police have no liability to pay the cost of any damage caused to front doors should they reason to force entry to a property.

    Damage to property by police forcing entry
    www.parliament.uk/briefing-papers/SN05524.pdf
  • antrobus wrote: »
    Yes, contrary to what other posters have stated, as a general rule the police have no liability to pay the cost of any damage caused to front doors should they reason to force entry to a property.

    Damage to property by police forcing entry
    www.parliament.uk/briefing-papers/SN05524.pdf

    I can confirm this is correct.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support