Teachers - day off at the slightest sign of snow

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• sgun
    sgun Posts: 716 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Couldn't be arsed to read the whole thread but some points raised on the first page alone: I HAVE walked 6 miles in to work through very heavy snow, accompanied by other teachers on the way so it does happen (miners would often walk 6 miles to work so why shouldnt we? I am in a northern mining area so we maybe have more work ethic than "soft southern !!!!!s", not my phrase, one I have picked up, I AM a soft southern !!!!!)

If I cannot get to work I DO have to get to the nearest school in the LEA and work there. I have a winter contract that states so. Unfortunately I work on a border so the nearest school is only a mile away so I may as well walk to my own school. Up a very big hill.

duchy - you are bitter! But you have kids? And sometimes you have to look after them?? For the record, a teachers job is not the same 5 miles or 50 miles away as the area is different. I started out in very tough south London schools. Drug deals through the window and lots of violence. I would NEVER now go back to certain schools. I am aging and need somewhere nice, I would commute up to 30 miles each way for a nice school.

Apologies if all this was discussed on pages 2-5, life is too short!
  • bylromarha
    bylromarha Posts: 10,085 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Found out today my pregnant workmate contractually doesn't need to even attempt to get into school if its snows - county risk assessment says its too dangerous for her.
    Who made hogs and dogs and frogs?
  • stephen77
    stephen77 Posts: 10,342 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I do think this thread has discussed extremes of snow.

Ie people getting annoyed saying teacher do not have to go to work when only a light dusting of snow.

Teachers - when there is 3 foot of snow everything is closed so we can not get there so not our fault.

There reality is some where in between
  • LP87
    LP87 Posts: 59 Forumite
    Options
    I work at an FE college and the approach we take when it snows is to just get on with it. I work in Essex where there are great transport links and usually only the laziest students and staff don't bother to get in (often the ones with consistently low attendance whether it snows or not!).

This said, when I worked at a college in Devon the transport options were extremely limited for students (bus, walk or car only) and some places had only 1 bus a day each way on a good day. In severe snow it would only have been possible for them to attend if they strapped on some ice skates and skated along the frozen River Taw!
    In both colleges, all staff are expected to try to get in and teach as normal - we do not close.

I am not going to get involved with the picking on what teachers do and don't do but suffice it to say that some do more than others.
    I go in to work on snowy days and implement Skype calls and video tutorials with email question and answer sessions so that students don't miss out on the subject delivery. Those without internet access may access these on their return to college. I personally hate having to miss a session and I love working with my students so make sure I give them as much as I can.

We seem to suffer fewer Health and Safety constraints than the schools do and I do sympathise with this as anyone who is working in education for the RIGHT reasons just wants to get in that classroom and give dem kidz some goooood learnin' (sorry ;-)).

I'm not really sure about CRBs being transferable within the LEA... I worked for a 6th form and a College in the same LEA and had to have a CRB for each. Would this be anything to do with the fact they are a different type of school? The 6th form was an extension to a regular 11-16 comp.
  • Simon_Pert
    Options
    There does not seem to be any rules for CRBs being transferable within the LEA... As a photographer I use the same one for all the schools I go to.
  • PinkLipgloss
    PinkLipgloss Posts: 1,451 Forumite
    Options
    Simon_Pert wrote: »
    There does not seem to be any rules for CRBs being transferable within the LEA... As a photographer I use the same one for all the schools I go to.

In my experience (in primary schools in Scotland), schools take a more laxed approached to the likes of photographers as there is an understanding with the teachers that NO PUPILS will ever be left unsupervised with you.

Same applied to special visitors such a drama groups, guest speakers etc.
    "Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" (Douglas Adams)
  • Valli
    Valli Posts: 24,784 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    In my experience (in primary schools in Scotland), schools take a more laxed approached to the likes of photographers as there is an understanding with the teachers that NO PUPILS will ever be left unsupervised with you.

Same applied to special visitors such a drama groups, guest speakers etc.

and in England.
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family