Teachers - day off at the slightest sign of snow

Options

Comments

• Dave_C_2
    Dave_C_2 Posts: 1,827 Forumite
    Options
    bugbyte wrote: »
    40% of millionaires are dyslexic. Do they not make a worthwhile contribution to society?

On wealth, jobs with the highest earning potential require Maths, Science or Engineering type qualifications - and the lowest*? English.

You really are a special one if you think command of English is the only requirement to making an outstanding teacher.

* of core subjects, although Media Studies is often run by the English Department.

The skeptic in me must point out that the 40% of millionaires are dyslexic and highest earning potential claims have nothing to do with the ability to teach.

It's a safe bet that the vast majority of millionaires are not teachers.

Dave
  • Azari
    Azari Posts: 4,317 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Dave_C wrote: »
    The skeptic in me must point out that the 40% of millionaires are dyslexic and highest earning potential claims have nothing to do with the ability to teach.

Personally, I'm sceptical that 40% of millionaires are dyslexic.

The study that came up with that figure only used a sample size of 300!
    There are two types of people in the world: Those that can extrapolate information.
  • seven-day-weekend
    Options
    Nilrem wrote: »
    I thought that one was rubbish as well, one of my uncles spent decades working in various churches around the world (basically wherever his job sent him he'd play the organ/teach it/help out at the local COE/Anglican church), and I remember him being really very upset when the CRB's came in, as he saw it as a personal insult on his character/honour, and as he put it "all it shows is someone hasn't been caught".

Back on topic.
    Personally I suspect a lot of teachers these days cannot afford to love close to the Schools they work at (or wouldn't want to due to the local area), let alone the issues of liability and legal requirements for minimum staffing.
    I'm also quite aware that most of the teachers I know tend to work well past their contracted hours, not just the sort of 5-15 minutes in many places of work*, but hours at home doing work that needs to be done for the classes. And that's before any of the clubs/activities that teachers are often expected to take part in during their free time.

*And I know a lot of non teachers who get quite militant about being asked to spend 5 minutes past their contract hours on a regular basis.

Many teachers do not live near their school because they get grief from parents/pupils if they do. A friend of mine lived in the middle of his school's catchment and he was forever getting taunted by pupils when he was out with his own children :(
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    gregg1 wrote: »
    Have you not read the thread properly? I have already said my OH and the other teachers at her school make up any days lost for bad weather! How in God's name do you expect them to teach when the school is closed, locked, not open, no kids ( take your pick).

Get off your high horse .....

If teachers make it to school and there are no pupils they can do some of the admin they are always moaning they have no time to do.After all teachers always claim there is more to teaching than student contact time ! (and there is-I've worked in education so I don't fall for the myths I'm afraid.)

Reminds me of the training day farce... One high school in Kent I worked in closed for training days but there wasn't a teacher to see seen on the premises on those days -the training was done between 4pm and 7pm on the two preceeding days instead "so the teachers could have a day off" Pity the parents who had to take time off or change *their* arrangements to facilitate this extra day off.

You missed the basic point though. It is complete insanity to take a job 50 miles away when the same job is offered within 5 miles of home and then complain they can't get in. Commonsense dictates you take a job you can sensibly attend except in unforseeable circumstances. Snow in winter is hardly that !
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • zoominatorone
    Options
    real1314 wrote: »
    Practice what you preach. Neither of your keynote addresses follow correct grammatical rules. :cool:

Incidentally I wouldn't touch teaching for £40k, given the hours and effort involved. It's far too low a reward.
    It wasn't me professing to want to be teaching other people's kids in the future,,,:p
  • bugbyte_2
    bugbyte_2 Posts: 413 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Options
    duchy wrote: »
    Get off your high horse .....

If teachers make it to school and there are no pupils they can do some of the admin they are always moaning they have no time to do.!

Erm they do, actually. And who is moaning? I haven't read any posts from teachers moaning.
    One high school in Kent I worked in closed for training days but there wasn't a teacher to see seen on the premises on those days -the training was done between 4pm and 7pm on the two preceeding days instead "so the teachers could have a day off" Pity the parents who had to take time off or change *their* arrangements to facilitate this extra day off.
    !

So staff worked 6 hours in their own time and took it in lieu on a statutory training day which could not be used for opening the school to pupils. They didn't have a day off, they WORKED different hours to what you expected. So what is the problem?
    It is complete insanity to take a job 50 miles away when the same job is offered within 5 miles of home and then complain they can't get in.

What is the % of teachers that work 50 miles away? How many of them have complained they cannot get in?
    Edible geranium
  • zoominatorone
    Options
    bugbyte wrote: »
    You are not a Headteacher, and you are, frankly, clueless. In all likelihood you have not been near a school since 1970 when Mr Evens the P.E. teacher strung you up by your underpants. For some reason you keep perpetuating the same myths over and over and over, despite lots of people who actually know what they are talking about politely pointing out the opposite. There is a large amount of research into why certain groups of parents do not engage with schools. Inevitably it is down to bad experiences when they were in schools themselves. I suspect you fall into this category. Please accept that schools have moved on. Mr Evans is probably dead by now from work related stress and schools are very different environments to what they used to be. Whatever it is let it go, you will be happier!
    I had a hoot at school actually, I loved going and never played the wag once. So you suspect wrong. I do however have kids in the education system and teachers of today are sorely lacking in many skills. They send out newsletters littered with spelling mistakes, they never correct anything the child has written because "I don't teach English, I teach history". They send out computer generated reports that they forget to change the kids' names on so it's blatently obvious they are rubbish and copying and pasting as well. Only decent teachers I've seen are the ones who didn't go GCSEs so are over 45ish.
  • wallbash
    wallbash Posts: 17,775 Forumite
    Options
    t is complete insanity to take a job 50 miles away when the same job is offered within 5 miles of home and then complain they can't get in

Try to buy a house in the S.E on the wages of a Teacher newly qualified.
    The only insane one , is the idiot that posted that example.
  • bylromarha
    bylromarha Posts: 10,085 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    zagubov wrote: »
    Excellent post.

Yep, extend the terms, give us two months more work and two months more pay. The teaching years was only so short because families wanted to send their kids into the fields to work in the summer harvest.

Short holidays unlike the long ones we can't use cos our spouses don't have it.

Less childcare worries for working families in the summer.

Everybody going on holday the same two weeks of the year! Hope there's cheap holidays then. :D

I take it you've never tried to teach a 4,5,6,7,8 year old in the 2 weeks at the end of an 8 week term?

They don't work that long :D They break about week 5 and need a week off to recover. These dark Autumn 8 week and 7 week terms actually only 6 weeks of learning max for my class of year ones as they are too young to cope with such long days of back to back learning. And believe me, at age 5 it is relentless for them. Poor things. Less sand and water, more phonics, sums, learning about their world. They love it, but they are crackered.

I see it in all my kids friends as well as my own kids. You can tell when they are in need of a holiday.
    Who made hogs and dogs and frogs?
  • Valli
    Valli Posts: 24,783 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    patman99 wrote: »
    If CRBs are only valid for a specific school, how do supply teachers get on then ?. I think you'll find a CRB is for the LEA area not just a given school. I'm an ACSL and my CRB covers me to attend as a leader or assistant in any Group within our District, but to work in another District I would need to have another CRB check.

Well you think wrong.

A CRB check is valid for your employer; supply teachers who work through agencies have their CRB forms arranged through their agency; but if one is DIRECTLY employed BY A SCHOOL the CRB check has to be for THAT school.
    A teacher who is also, say, a scout or guide leader will have two CRB forms; they are not interchangeable.
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family