Sort 7 financial things in 7 days

Options

Comments

• mineallmine
    mineallmine Posts: 3,053 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    That's great chop! By doing stuff now we can start the New Year with a cleaner slate. :j

My outstanding ones are waiting for hubby or waiting for forms. Will nag hubby about energy monitor. :j

Think my next list - starting tomorrow will roll forward the things to finalise. And aim to finalise in the next week. It will also include arrange for a credit report. Check through the credit report. Close another dusty savings account. Create a new budget spreadsheet for 2013. Sort an awkward goods return using Martins consumer guide in this weeks newsletter.

:j
    :) Declutter 300 things in December challenge, 9/300. Clear the living room. Re-organize storage
    :cool2: Cherryprint: "More stuff = more stuff to tidy up!"
    Less things. Less stuff. More life.
    :heart: Fab thread: Long daily walks
  • rising_from_the_ashes
    Options
    I know it's outside day 7 but .... I have had no internet ALL day:eek:

Tried to think of something productive to do and now have a huge (and I mean huge 80L bin sized bag of shredding done:T - bag for lifes with hoards of paperwork are gone :T

I do now have a (manageable) pile of filing to do (recent stuff) but .... :j:j:j - feels good to have got rid of it!

Hopefully, it'll spur me on to sort through the A4 files in the loft - these will be easier as it is all filed ... but they do date back quite a while too - so lots more shredding!:eek:
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • mineallmine
    Options
    That's a result rising :j

No Internet was obviously a blessing :A
    :) Declutter 300 things in December challenge, 9/300. Clear the living room. Re-organize storage
  • rising_from_the_ashes
    Options
    Right .... quick upate

1. Write to bank to close old savings account & request a cheque for outstanding balance (only around £3 but hey ...) To do:o
    [STRIKE]2. Write to old employer's pension agency to advise of change of address (moved in 2007 :o) and request update pension forecast [/STRIKE]:jDONE
    3. Write to CU to increase salary deduction to savings account to £20 / month (have been meaning to do this all year:o) Have decided to leave as is - less chance of needing to raid it!
    [STRIKE]4. Financial filing - sorting through bags of old stuff from the "forgotten years"[/STRIKE] :j DONE
    [STRIKE]5. Start new DFW Diary[/STRIKE] :jDONE
    [STRIKE]6. Sort out new ISA for 2012 monthly saver money (boiler fund)[/STRIKE] :jDONE
    [STRIKE]7. Shred old paperwork once sorted & set up new (proper!) filing system for 2013[/STRIKE] :jDONE

So .... all in all not too bad.

It's good for long term outstanding things that aren't really that urgent but need doing IYKWIM but personally, I think I'm better with my daily to do list .....

How's everyone else doing?
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • Catslovelycats
    Options
    A quick update from me!

my 7 things:
    1. sort out new piggybanking accounts for new year
    2. find new account to use for 2013 VSP - DONE
    3. change mortgage OP to £700 - [COLOR="rgb(255, 0, 255)"]DONE[/COLOR]
    4. chase closure of old halifax savings accounts - letter to bank in Nov not yet actioned
    5. N&P acc closure - use bal to OP mtg - [COLOR="rgb(255, 0, 255)"]DONE[/COLOR]
    6. decide once and for all which of my money apps I'll stick with!
    7. sort out budget spreadsheet for 2013 and mtg op spreadsheet

Keep going, everyone!
  • mineallmine
    Options
    Great stuff Rising and Cats :j That's lots of things done and dusted!

Just finished another one from last week's 7. So will prep a list for the coming week now :j
  • mineallmine
    Options
    Achieved 5/7 last week so not bad considering I hate doing stuff like this and put it off :j
    1. Close an old savings account and cancel the standing order (yes I know this should be straightforward :o)
    DONE!

2. Open a new savings account

3. Get an ISA for this financial year, again with best rate
    DONE!

4. Check interest rate on old ISA. Consider transfer.
    DONE... AWAITING TRANSFER FORM.

5. Do an up to date inventory of all monthly/yearly direct debits. Check through it.
    DONE!

6. Reconnect the Energy Monitor. See what the thirsty lights/ appliances are. Think how to reduce energy usuage.

7. Research options for loft insultation top up (DIY, MSE newsletter offers)
    DONE!

So here's the next list including any items not achieved last week:

1. Open a new savings account

2. Find paperwork for closing another old dusty savings account. Cancel the standing order

3. Find paperwork for old ISA

4. Get hubby to reconnect the Energy Monitor to highlight thirsty lights/appliances

5. Do an inventory of all Direct Debits in main account

6. Create a new budget spreadsheet for 2013

7. Sort an awkward goods return using Martins consumer guide in this weeks newsletter

So this is all about getting these ruddy bigger things sorted and done. Consolidating savings. Using ISA allowances/best deals.

:j
  • optimistic-mummy
    Options
    could i join you all please ?? xx
    200 weeks £25,000.00 / £700
  • mineallmine
    Options
    Yes of course Optimistic! :j
  • seriousDFW
    Options
    Great idea - lovely to read the action plans. Going to start mine now. Hope it's ok that mine are longer term than 7 days.

1. Close superfluous savings and current accounts.
    2. Pay off six credit cards as soon as possible.
    3. Close credit card accounts I don't need once paid off. Keep clarity as its a good card for overseas spending.
    4. Apply for cashback cc when debt free to help budget with petrol and to earn a small amount of cashback - Amex or cap one
    5. Review budget with OH when df and come up with system for buying essentials that works for us.
    6. Set up savings account for house deposit once df.
    DFBX2013: 021 :j seriousDFW £0 [STRIKE] £3,374[/STRIKE] 100% Paid off
    Proud to have dealt with my debts.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family