We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
22.5 Hours Working tax credit....
Comments
-
I know you say that its not worth talking to your partner about him/her working, but they hve a responsibility to provide for the family too, it shouldnt fall to you and only you!
I'd tell them to pull their finger out!
In regards to the fraud- i'd be be honest and deal with the consequences.0 -
Thanks for all the ideas - I've thought about alot of them before but to be honest it would be easier just to get another job - or so I thought...
My partner gets family tax credits and all the usual child benefit stuff - she would never sign on for JSA......I know what your thinking - I don't understand her sometimes either.....Can get realy frustrating.
I work monday - friday within a secondary school kitchen, the work is hard and seems to be getting harder with each redundancy they make like I said I'm always asking for extra work but there's none to give - apparently.
I've been doing the extra 1.5 hours voluntarily with the promise of it being made permanent & paid but silly me, thats not going to happen.
I'm writting my letter as we speak explaining my circumstances which will go out to them tomorrow morning - I''ve already phoned them up this past Monday to tell them but they need paper work....they've already said voluntary work does not count towards the 24hrs.
Fingers crossed I don't get punished too much - I know it's all my fault and I've brought it upon myself....Chin up though things could always be worse. Thanks again.0 -
WantToBeSE wrote: »I know you say that its not worth talking to your partner about him/her working, but they hve a responsibility to provide for the family too, it shouldnt fall to you and only you!
I'd tell them to pull their finger out!
In regards to the fraud- i'd be be honest and deal with the consequences.
i honestly dont underrstand WHY fraud though, surely you would be better off claiming HB/CTB ETC (which you would most likely get 100% of) than 100 or so working tax? since that 100 would be take off the hb/ctb £ for £...
you would still get the same allowances etc...0 -
My partner gets family tax credits and all the usual child benefit stuff - she would never sign on for JSA......I know what your thinking - I don't understand her sometimes either.....Can get realy frustrating.
Frustrating! she sounds like a right spoiled princess, she doesn't even make a pack up lunch. BTW it is not YOUR PARTNER who gets the TC, it is the household.
Do you claim Housing Benefit, Council Tax benefit etc for being on a low income.0 -
I've been doing the extra 1.5 hours voluntarily with the promise of it being made permanent & paid but silly me, thats not going to happen.
...they've already said voluntary work does not count towards the 24hrs.
...
Yes, to qualify for WTC, the hours have to be in renumerative employment, with the expectation of actually receiving payment rather than the hope of getting it.
Even the self-employed go through compliance investigations by the HMRC because some are under the impression that if they come across as busy, that's sufficient for WTC.
Low profits aren't an issue with WTC for the SE but the HMRC have cracked down on hobby and micro type businesses like ebay sellers and so on and forced them to prove and justify their hours with specific work with customers, marketing and so on. They want to see adverts, quotes, diary appointments, invoices and so on when they review if the SE are meeting the hours threshold - we see lots of SE come a cropper on this forum because they can't convince the HMRC they work the hours they say they do.
If you go the SE route to bump up your hours, do read up on the WTC requirements and keep good records, not just financial, but on the time spent on actual business activities.0 -
I agree. Does she realise that you could be done having to pay back a lot of money just because she can't be bothered to find 2 hours a week job. Will she take on a job to pay if off if you have to?
What kind of attitude is that and more importantly, why are you letting them get away with it?0 -
How old are your kids? When the Universal Credit system comes in, there is more expected from parents in terms of the hours they should be in employment.
2 parent families where the youngest child is 5 or more are expected to have one in full time employment, the other parent in 16 hour employment. For those where the youngest child is 12, there is an expectation that both parents are in full time employment.
I don't think not having those hours will result in less benefits as such, just that the under or non-employed parent will have greater conditionality, such as signing on like a job seeker. So you'd best break this bad news to your partner who will be expected to step up at some point.
It's a good thing in a way that the govt are addressing the fact that some of those households in part employment can earn as much as those in full time employment due to the top-up in benefits. But it's very dismal when successive govts have promoted a culture of part-time employment, and disguised the real mass employment we have with part time work for so many people - I would love to know how they are going to change the part time working culture that is embedded into our society and the lack of decent paying full time jobs.0 -
I would love to know how they are going to change the part time working culture that is embedded into our society and the lack of decent paying full time jobs.
companies actually get NI reduction for employing more employees... if a company employees 2 part time employees it is better for them than if they employ 1 full time employee...
(one step the last gov took to make new jobs)... this is one of the reasons hours are restricted at most jobs...0 -
Thanks for all the ideas - I've thought about alot of them before but to be honest it would be easier just to get another job - or so I thought...
My partner gets family tax credits and all the usual child benefit stuff - she would never sign on for JSA......I know what your thinking - I don't understand her sometimes either.....Can get realy frustrating.
I work monday - friday within a secondary school kitchen, the work is hard and seems to be getting harder with each redundancy they make like I said I'm always asking for extra work but there's none to give - apparently.
I've been doing the extra 1.5 hours voluntarily with the promise of it being made permanent & paid but silly me, thats not going to happen.
I'm writting my letter as we speak explaining my circumstances which will go out to them tomorrow morning - I''ve already phoned them up this past Monday to tell them but they need paper work....they've already said voluntary work does not count towards the 24hrs.
Fingers crossed I don't get punished too much - I know it's all my fault and I've brought it upon myself....Chin up though things could always be worse. Thanks again.
The punishment will be at a minimum, ALL the working tax credits received since April, which could be a hell of a lot of dough..
You really should of got a job cleaning your next door neighbours house for 1.5 hours a week PAID, it would of worked out considerably cheaper!!!
If you have a current claim for CTC, they are likely to take some or ALL of it out of this CTC.I have numerous qualifications in Business and Finance, Accountancy, Health and Safety and am now studying Law.
Don't rely on anything I write as it may be wrong!!!0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards