We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

22.5 Hours Working tax credit....

Afternoon everyone.....
I've been working the same job for the last 3 years 22.5hrs a week and always had my working tax credits until they changed the minimum qualifying working hours to 24 a week. We rely on that money to pay for the gas, electric and food shopping so when they stopped paying I had no choice but to tell them I was doing 24hrs a week....now they've sent a letter requesting all my wageslips from April which obviously show 22.5hrs.
I've tried my hardest to find an extra job but as many people know - it's hard out there....My work will NOT up my hours at all, I've been asking since April but all I get is excuses - just winds me up so much.
I don't know what to do now, I'm applying for every single job I can but getting no reply from any of them - I'm even applying to be a cleaner from 5am.
Is there any advice anyone can give me? Stress in the house is so bad I'm even dreaming about this at nights....
«13

Comments

  • lazer
    lazer Posts: 3,402 Forumite
    Something self employed for 1.5hours a week?
    Weight loss challenge, lose 15lb in 6 weeks before Christmas.
  • miduck
    miduck Posts: 1,800 Forumite
    Is there a reason why your partner cannot work, or why you have not sought additional work before now?
  • Icequeen99
    Icequeen99 Posts: 3,775 Forumite
    ZYMAN wrote: »
    Afternoon everyone.....
    I've been working the same job for the last 3 years 22.5hrs a week and always had my working tax credits until they changed the minimum qualifying working hours to 24 a week. We rely on that money to pay for the gas, electric and food shopping so when they stopped paying I had no choice but to tell them I was doing 24hrs a week....now they've sent a letter requesting all my wageslips from April which obviously show 22.5hrs.
    I've tried my hardest to find an extra job but as many people know - it's hard out there....My work will NOT up my hours at all, I've been asking since April but all I get is excuses - just winds me up so much.
    I don't know what to do now, I'm applying for every single job I can but getting no reply from any of them - I'm even applying to be a cleaner from 5am.
    Is there any advice anyone can give me? Stress in the house is so bad I'm even dreaming about this at nights....

    Can you partner look for a job?

    Even if you could increase the hours now, it doesn't help the past. They will amend your claim and you are likely going to be left with an overpayment. Given you made a conscious choice to lie about your hours, you may also open yourself up to penalties.

    I would suggest you come clean fully and get yourself some advice from CAB to help you deal with the investigation.

    IQ
  • miduck
    miduck Posts: 1,800 Forumite
    lazer wrote: »
    Something self employed for 1.5hours a week?

    Or something self employed for as many hours as possible? The 24 hours is a minimum, not something to aim to!
  • If working tax credits covered gas, electric and food shopping to boot then no wonder people get caught in such a trap and feel no need to get work/hours where the wages cover all of that instead! That is an awful lot that the benefits covered in exchange for part-time work!

    Sorry OP, I am not sure of the answer, it does seem though that you made a choice to de-fraud the system maybe you will need to get some legal advice. Good luck!
    Save 8k in 2013: Member #100
    £450 / £8000
  • Thanks for the quick reply people....

    Regards to my partner working - so many arguments over that its just not worth it any more.....

    Self employed - Is this possible? I used to be a painter self employed but now as I work for a company I'm not sure if I could do that?

    I realise I'm gonna be hit with some sort of penalty and have to pay it back but you have to understand this - I get £520 a month wages, have 3 children - we have to pay for school dinners. Not making excuses or anything.

    I've been looking for work since they changed the qualifying hours but nothings happened - my employer will not increase my hours at all....
  • miduck
    miduck Posts: 1,800 Forumite
    ZYMAN wrote: »
    Thanks for the quick reply people....

    Regards to my partner working - so many arguments over that its just not worth it any more.....

    Self employed - Is this possible? I used to be a painter self employed but now as I work for a company I'm not sure if I could do that?

    I realise I'm gonna be hit with some sort of penalty and have to pay it back but you have to understand this - I get £520 a month wages, have 3 children - we have to pay for school dinners. Not making excuses or anything.

    I've been looking for work since they changed the qualifying hours but nothings happened - my employer will not increase my hours at all....

    What I don't understand is why you ever thought it was ok to earn £520 and expect the state to pick up the rest of the bill? You need to sit down with your partner and work out what you are both going to do to get yourselves a liveable income.
  • ZYMAN wrote: »
    Thanks for the quick reply people....

    Regards to my partner working - so many arguments over that its just not worth it any more.....

    Self employed - Is this possible? I used to be a painter self employed but now as I work for a company I'm not sure if I could do that?

    I realise I'm gonna be hit with some sort of penalty and have to pay it back but you have to understand this - I get £520 a month wages, have 3 children - we have to pay for school dinners. Not making excuses or anything.

    I've been looking for work since they changed the qualifying hours but nothings happened - my employer will not increase my hours at all....

    I genuinely know this does not help and will come across wrongly as 'horrible' as you cannot not tell the tone of voice in type but you do not have to pay for school dinners! We both work and cannot afford them! Packed lunches are much cheaper and most times much more enjoyable. You should have a look at the old style board, honestly those forum members can make a feast out of a quid! ;)

    I am sure you have been looking for the work, I don't think anyone is saying you haven't, I think though that your priority now may be to get some proper advice as you have committed fraud knowingly. 'They' wont see it as you had no choice, they will treat you just like anyone else that has done the same, no matter the circumstances.

    You mention you started looking for work when they changed the qualifying hours, before that you were plodding along happily with the benefits and your wages and no need to look for extra or a full-time job?
    Save 8k in 2013: Member #100
    £450 / £8000
  • rogerblack
    rogerblack Posts: 9,446 Forumite
    ZYMAN wrote: »
    I realise I'm gonna be hit with some sort of penalty and have to pay it back but you have to understand this - I get £520 a month wages, have 3 children - we have to pay for school dinners. Not making excuses or anything.

    Go to the debt side of MSE, and work out any savings that may be made.
    You do not have to pay for school dinners, you choose to.
    A packed lunch is quite possible.
  • Thanks for all the advice & tuff love.
    I'll take on board all you're saying - I'm sure things will sort themselves out in the end.
    Merry christmas everyone.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.