PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Homewise life time lease plan for over 60’s

Options
12346»

Comments

• jettejjane
    Options
    Ah, I see what you mean. I didn't think it through, assumed the person inheriting would just get the money and Homewise would no longer be in equation. I have had a re-think and this is not a road I want to go down. It seemed like a quick fix for my particular situation. Thanks for reply
  • Lynb0910
    Lynb0910 Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 26 July 2019 at 2:52PM
    Options
    My mother and our estate have been completely fleeced by Homewise. She unknowingly,due to cognitive issues at the age of 68, signed up to the 'Help to Buy' contract and signed away 70% of the value of the freehold, which then turned her into a lifetime tenant. Unfortunately, we will have to buy her out of the contract, which is evil and onerous and only benefits Homewise and the freehold investors who are their clients. You are obliged to sign an occupancy certificate stating that the residence is occupied at least monthly and submit to property inspections and cannot sublet. If you want to move the house must be approved as an investment - worthy home for Homewise and the freehold investor. I would run screaming from them. My mother had the wherewithal to fund the extra £50k or so that she needed for the property she liked, but her lack of capacity meant she forgot to ask her trust fund for the funds. Homewise did not even enforce an Independent Financial Adviser signature before she signed, and the lawyer they gave her was THEIR lawyer. Disgusting. Stay away from them if you care about your estate. My mother paid £225k for a £275k property, and was left with a value of 30% of the property plus numerous fees to pay. These people are evil. Also, they aren't regulated by any ombudsman or by the FCA. I wonder why.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure