PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Homewise life time lease plan for over 60’s

Options

Comments

• concernedPhil
    Options
    I have seen some of these Homewise properties advertised in my area where I know the property values. They are raising the market price by about 25% before offering the discount, so the deal is not anything like as good as it looks. Avoid at all costs.
  • katebl
    katebl Posts: 637 Forumite
    Options
    In my area the majority of these are also listed at full asking with Douglas Allen, I don't think Homewise actually own the houses... also most of them are majorly unsuitable for the single 60 odd year old example they give in the blurb (i.e. large 3/4 bed houses)
  • KatieMW
    KatieMW Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    Flat for sale in Queens Parade, New Street, Basingstoke RG21
    £264,000 - discounted

Read more at primelocation.com -
    The same flats are on the market at £100, 000 open market. Carsons, Romans Is it possible that Homewise won't buy until they have a buyer at their terms?
  • KatieMW
    KatieMW Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    Another one! Detached house for sale in Downsland Road, Basingstoke RG21
    £374,950 ww.primelocation.com
    Same house - Detached house for sale in Downsland Road, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21
    £247,467 Over 60s only under Homewise's lifetime lease plan
    .primelocation.com/
  • RKJ46
    RKJ46 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Katie,
    The flat in New St is on the open market, via Romans, for 400,000 not 100,000. So......?
  • tomstickland
    tomstickland Posts: 19,538 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Loads of these appearing on searches in the Gloucestershire area. Just googled it and found this thread.
    Happy chappy
  • ALW1960
    Options
    I have a slightly different angle of concern. Having inherited a property an elderly couple have agreed to buy at just under the asking price which is lowish anyway to attract a quick sale.
    We understand that actually Homewise will be buying as they have agreed deal with this elderly couple.
    My issue is that Homewise then instigate a property survey where the valuer comes from an area nowhere near the property location and has indicated without evidence to support that he considers the property value too high.
    There are no similar properties in this town any cheaper and it seems to me that they are just trying it on with a low valuation in hope we will accept a reduced offer.
    It feels like this company want their cake and eat it.
    Why not use a local valuer.
    There will be no comparables for cheaper valuation as property is already marketed at bottom end to achieve quick sale.
    We obviously do not know the deal they have with this couple so in seeking a reduced price are they acting in their own self interests or trying to negotiate a better deal for their clients - bearing in mind this couple have made an offer we were happy to accept.
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    lol163 wrote: »
    redacted.'

Nice your very first post and you advertise them
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • jettejjane
    Options
    I have read with interest all comments on this thread. I wish to purchase a house. I am 67. I am a cash buyer and could afford to purchase, depending obviously on price but could stretch me and leave very little. After seeing houses for over 60's I sought more information. . I now understand after talking to someone that they buy house under their scheme for me to purchase off them for a lesser amount. lesser amount which gives me a financial buffer. On my demise it is theirs. In their brochure it did mention property could be inherited. The gentleman I spoke to said a percentage could be inherited. For example purchase price 180,000 I pay 150,000 . 50% could be inherited. However, there is no reason anyone should inherit it a personal matter. But something would be better than nothing. This needs a lot more investigation and I know my family do not want me to even think of this. Any comments?
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,703 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    jettejjane wrote: »
    In their brochure it did mention property could be inherited. The gentleman I spoke to said a percentage could be inherited. For example purchase price 180,000 I pay 150,000 . 50% could be inherited.

Think about this one - even though it won't be your problem - what would you do with half a house?
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure