Fitting a Semi Pedestal Basin to an Internal Wall

Options
2»

Comments

• keystone
    keystone Posts: 10,916 Forumite
    Options
    So as you'll be mounting the top edge of the WHB at 90cm or thereabouts stick it on the outside wall next to the loo. Thank goodness we persuaded you not to have the loo where you currently have the WHB - that was one of the options wasn't it? . :D:D

Cheers
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
  • mrobsessed
    Options
    keystone wrote: »
    Can you provide a pic of the stripped wall?

Cheers

Here is a pic:

bathwall.jpg
  • keystone
    Options
    I don't reckon any of that lot is supporting anything fropm a structural perspective tbh. You could probably knock the whole lot out as long as you put in a couple of vertical timbers to provide some support to that rather thin sole plate. Is the plasterboard on other side attached to the brickwork?

I see someones been previously busy with the Speedfit.

Cheers
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
  • mrobsessed
    Options
    keystone wrote: »
    I don't reckon any of that lot is supporting anything fropm a structural perspective tbh. You could probably knock the whole lot out as long as you put in a couple of vertical timbers to provide some support to that rather thin sole plate. Is the plasterboard on other side attached to the brickwork?

I see someones been previously busy with the Speedfit.

Cheers

I'm not a builder but I also got the distinct impression that the brick section wasn't doing much structurally, as some of the bricks became quite loose when I chiselled the plaster/cement off them.

Do you think removing most of the bricks above the lower sole plate in the area that the sink is to be installed will give enough space in the wall cavity for the waste pipe and the hot/cold water? There would have to be a clear route for the drain to the external wall, but once there the pipe would be well below the level of the window and can drain towards the soil pipe.

If it was needed, extra timberwork could be put in to replace the missing bricks - such as making the top sole plate thicker, or adding more vertical supports.

Thanks for you help!
  • keystone
    Options
    mrobsessed wrote: »
    I'm not a builder but I also got the distinct impression that the brick section wasn't doing much structurally, as some of the bricks became quite loose when I chiselled the plaster/cement off them.
    Looking at it I'm not surprised.
    Do you think removing most of the bricks above the lower sole plate in the area that the sink is to be installed will give enough space in the wall cavity for the waste pipe and the hot/cold water? There would have to be a clear route for the drain to the external wall, but once there the pipe would be well below the level of the window and can drain towards the soil pipe.
    Yes I do but thats only a thought from a distance. If it all falls on your toes don't blame me.:D
    If it was needed, extra timberwork could be put in to replace the missing bricks - such as making the top sole plate thicker, or adding more vertical supports.
    I think I would be looking to do that yes.

Cheers
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure