The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Fitting a Semi Pedestal Basin to an Internal Wall

Hi All,

I've bought a semi pedestal basin which consists of a basin and a sort of rounded 'pod' that fixes to the wall, supports the basin and contains the trap and pipework. Because of the small size and layout of my bathroom I want to install this on an internal wall but I've been told that semi pedestal basins like this can only be installed on an external wall so there is space for the drain to leave the house.

The basin is very near an external wall and the internal wall it attaches to is brick up to a height of 1m and then wooden joists and plasterboard (see diagram)

bathroom8.jpg

Can I remove some bricks and somehow put the drain through the internal wall and out of the external wall, or is this aspect of the plan a bad idea that should be rethought?

And help would be appreciated!
Cheers,
Mr O

Comments

• phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,094
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Where are you anticipating that the waste connects to the soil pipe?

You also need to consider how you bring the hot and cold supply into the back of the basin. They too have to come into the semi pedestal.

If you have a stud wall you can bring the services via the internal cavity. If you have a brick / block work wall, it isn't so easy. You can bury the hot cold feed in the wall without too much problem but burying a 32mm waste is an issue.

Have you thought about taking right through the wall into the next room (boxed in obviously) then talking it out through the wall to link up with the soil pipe.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • keystone
    keystone Posts: 10,916 Forumite
    mrobsessed wrote: »
    I've bought a semi pedestal basin which consists of a basin and a sort of rounded 'pod' that fixes to the wall, supports the basin and contains the trap and pipework. Because of the small size and layout of my bathroom I want to install this on an internal wall but I've been told that semi pedestal basins like this can only be installed on an external wall so there is space for the drain to leave the house.
    Thats spot on.
    Can I remove some bricks and somehow put the drain through the internal wall and out of the external wall, or is this aspect of the plan a bad idea that should be rethought?
    Yes its a bad idea.
    And help would be appreciated!
    Take/send the semi ped back for a refund and either fit a slim vanity unit or a full height ped.

Cheers

Edit: Kerching!! You can't can you because this is the basin that you purchased the wrong waste for and the internet shopfront you bought it from won't refund/replace. Merde alors!
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
  • Link to the basin you have bought, please.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • plus the semi pedestal doesn't support the weight of the basin
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
  • plus the semi pedestal doesn't support the weight of the basin

I wasn't sure on that point, but I assume the basin is fixed to the wall and the semi pedestal is just there to cover the pipework and make everything look pretty (and can subsequently be removed to allow access to trap and pipes)? Makes sense.

I have now found plans where someone has had a similar problem and found a solution (though not an easy one):

http://www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=159720
  • keystone
    Thats all very well and will work in a stud wall except how do you get to the pipework when it blocks. The major but is you said your wall is brick up to 1 metre. Not going to work is it unless you do what Phil suggests and go right through to the other side, box it in and then send it to the outer wall.. Whats the height of the windowsill above the floor?

Cheers
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
  • phill99 wrote: »
    Where are you anticipating that the waste connects to the soil pipe?

You also need to consider how you bring the hot and cold supply into the back of the basin. They too have to come into the semi pedestal.

If you have a stud wall you can bring the services via the internal cavity. If you have a brick / block work wall, it isn't so easy. You can bury the hot cold feed in the wall without too much problem but burying a 32mm waste is an issue.

Have you thought about taking right through the wall into the next room (boxed in obviously) then talking it out through the wall to link up with the soil pipe.

I ordered the basin before looking at the structure of the wall and tbh had not thought about the issues with fitting the pipes would be so problematic. Since then I've completely removed the lath and plaster wall and revealed the structure. It's about 1m of a mixture of wooden beams and bricks, with just the wooden struts and empty space above. The other side of the wall has already been replaced with plaster board. I had considered just putting the waste right through the wall, but it waould mean a load of pipes in another room, which kind of defeats the objective of the semi ped. It would be better to simply get a full ped and use that to conceal the pipes.

To my eye, removing 2 or three bricks off the top of the wall to create a space in the wall wouldn't compromise the structure of the wall as there is a beam runnin horizontally accross the top of the brick section and there are no vertical beams nearby. Couldn't a concrete lintel also be installed as an extra precaution?

Many thanks for your help!
  • keystone
    Can you provide a pic of the stripped wall?

Cheers
  • The height of the window sill is 97cm, the brick section is 108cm.

Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport