Can you use a digital recorder via Sky box?

Options
Evening all
I've moved to a house with a Sky dish and box, but I am not subscribed to Sky, and have no intention of doing so thank you Mr Murdoch. We use the box for all the freeview channels - and we have no aerial anyway.
So, we would like to record some TV, as being parents, we never get time to watch what we want!
Do digital recorders work via a Sky box? The last recording device I had was a VHS about 20 years ago!
Any advice greatly appreciated.
Cheers!

Comments

• googler
    googler Posts: 16,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Which digital recorder do you have or want?

Panasonic make a 3-way VHS/HDD/DVD machine that will record via SCART from the Sky box.

It will also play any VHSs you have left, or let you transfer them to DVD.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-DMR-EX99VEBK-250GB-Recorder-Freeview/dp/B0038VZXPK

If you don't want the one with the VHS bit, they make basically the same machine with just HDD and DVD. Record to HDD, if you want to keep anything permanently, transfer it to DVD; or record straight to DVD
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Yes, you'll be able to use any recorder (even a VCR) with a scart socket to record FTA channels.

Be aware though that you will only be able to record the channel to which the Sky box is tuned.

Be aware also that only standard Sky boxes can be programmed to switch to a specific channel automatically. Sky+ and Sky+HD boxes do not do that.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • Fruit_and_Nut_Case
    Options
    chrisf wrote: »
    Evening all
    I've moved to a house with a Sky dish and box [...] We use the box for all the freeview channels
    I don't think you do. You probably mean Freesat-from-Sky channels.
    Are you for real? - Glass Half Empty??
    :coffee:
  • TadleyBaggie
    Options
    The original series 1 TiVo was able to record from Sky, however TiVo discontinued the EPG a few years ago. An alternative free EPG was set up but I decided the writing was on the wall for the device (which was around 10 years old at that point) and switched to a Sky+HD box.
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It's only freesat from sky if there's a card inside the box. Otherwise it's just the 'free satellite' channels.
    OP, if you're going to go out and buy equipment, can I recommend that you buy a Freesat box?
    Plugging a recorder into your Sky box will give you a load of hassle recording stuff, including having to have 2 boxes switched on, and being stuck watching whatever channel you're recording.
    With a Freest HD recorder, (most people here recommend the Humax Foxsat HDR, around £200), you'll get more channels, including HD ones, can record 2 channels at once and pause TV like you would with Sky. It plugs into the same connections as a SkyHD+ box, and the satellite doesn't need to be touched. If you DO want to record 2 channels at once, or watch one/record one, you need to have TWO cables connected to the satellite dish, and no, you can't split them.
  • chrisf
    chrisf Posts: 25 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks all, I knew you wouldn't let me down!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure