Peer-to-peer lending sites: MSE guide discussion

Options

Comments

• takesyourchances
    Options
    masonic wrote: »
    Even the likes of London Capital & Finance sought the FCA's permission before appointing administrators today.

I saw the topic, but I did not know anything about it tbh. Quick glance I see they were high risk bonds, I will read up on it a bit more, sounds bad as well.
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,469 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I saw the topic, but I did not know anything about it tbh. Quick glance I see they were high risk bonds, I will read up on it a bit more, sounds bad as well.
    Put it this way, I wouldn't trade places with anyone in LCF.
  • fun4everyone
    fun4everyone Posts: 2,340 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I still wonder back to Refresh Recoverys "100% recovery" claim. Sounded promising at the time although clearly they could not say that about active loans? Must have been talking about cash in client accounts + the loan book being as described.
  • masonic
    Options
    I still wonder back to Refresh Recoverys "100% recovery" claim. Sounded promising at the time although clearly they could not say that about active loans? Must have been talking about cash in client accounts + the loan book being as described.
    It was predicated on an outright sale of the platform to an authorised firm who could take over management and/or refinance loans to its own customers. RR claimed to have received several offers, although this was never substantiated. The claim suggested a high degree of naivety about the business, or an attempt to placate investors while "business profits" were quielty being withdrawn. We'll never know what was going on behind the scenes.
  • fun4everyone
    fun4everyone Posts: 2,340 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    RR claimed to have received several offers, although this was never substantiated.

IIRC a representative of another platform posted on p2p forum that they had offered to take over the loan book. Not quite the same as taking over client accounts completely but it did have some weight.

Certainly the loan book (of active loans) appears to have been as described anyway from what I have read.

Client cash accounts, money in loans that were not drawn down........we will just have to wait and see
  • masonic
    edited 31 January 2019 at 10:07PM
    Options
    IIRC a representative of another platform posted on p2p forum that they had offered to take over the loan book. Not quite the same as taking over client accounts completely but it did have some weight.
    Buying the loan book (i.e. refinancing all the loans to their platform) would certainly have done the trick.

However, I'm only aware of two platforms who opined on the situation through a representative - one was Ablrate and the other BondMason. Neither offered to take over the whole loan book. BondMason came closest to doing so by offering to take over management of only those loans its held a stake in. However, this wouldn't have worked as BondMason is not FCA authorised. I don't believe the nature of Ablrate's offer of assistance was ever made clear.
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,668 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Even the likes of London Capital & Finance sought the FCA's permission before appointing administrators today.

It's all part of maintaining the illusion that the company was operated in a fit and proper manner to try and minimise any liability for the board members. They will be trying to spin the line that this was an unfortunate business failure beyond their control.

Alex
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Let's remember that Refresh were in charge of the administration for three weeks, before being removed by the High Court, yet did precisely zero to secure the loan book data. It's entirely their fault that we're now having to pay BDO to recover and rebuild the list of who owned what loan parts.

Incompetence or cover-up...?
  • keyboardworrier
    Options
    Kuflink now has a secondary market, 0.25% transaction fee and you can only sell whole loan parts.
  • Roland_Flagg
    Roland_Flagg Posts: 1,256 Forumite
    Options
    I'm not sure how much I can say about this as there is legal action being taken. But for anyone who is in the same boat I could do with a bit of advice regarding the Lendy London Loan.
    Lendy has passed our details onto HCR solicitors to act in the interests of the lenders. But they want a £200 a month retainer.
    I only have a tiny amount in one of the loans, and just seems like a lose-lose situation.
    Any advice?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure