We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including number plates, reference numbers and QR codes (which may reveal vehicle information when scanned).
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Is my employer breaking the law?
Comments
-
What's the argument you heard that it is legal? Presumably something more than "I think it ought to be legal"?peter_the_piper wrote: »I've heard both arguements and i'm still not sure.0 -
Which begs the question, what does it mean by 'a person authorised to do so'?
It presumably doesn't mean 'authorised by the car owner to do so' (as that makes no sense)
Suppose the op's employer is not using a private company, and HAS authorised a person of their own staff?
Just posing the question.... I don't know the answer...I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.0 -
peter_the_piper wrote: »I've heard both arguements and i'm still not sure.
Please refer to my earlier post that included the relevant section from POFA 2012 - the offence is commited by the act of immobilsing a vehicle using a clamp or other device so that the vehicle cannot be removed by a person authorised to drive the said vehicle. There is no additional clause such as '....and demands payment to remove the means of immobilisation'."You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"0 -
peter, are confusing the fact that prior to Oct 1st ir was perfectly acceptable to clamp without a fee without an SIA licence?
I agree with Aretnap, its now illegal, whether you charge or not, unless you have lawful authority, or the only exemption is the barrier scenario mentioned above.Je Suis Cecil.0 -
OK, thanks, I'll go and hide now.:rotfl:I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.0
-
zzzLazyDaisy wrote: »Which begs the question, what does it mean by 'a person authorised to do so'?
It presumably doesn't mean 'authorised by the car owner to do so' (as that makes no sense)
Suppose the op's employer is not using a private company, and HAS authorised a person of their own staff?
Just posing the question.... I don't know the answer...
The wording is 'without lawful authority' - a private company cannot give themselves 'lawful authority', this has to be granted via specific legislation which allows for vehicles to be immobilised or removed."You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"0 -
zzzLazyDaisy wrote: »Which begs the question, what does it mean by 'a person authorised to do so'?
It presumably doesn't mean 'authorised by the car owner to do so' (as that makes no sense)
Suppose the op's employer is not using a private company, and HAS authorised a person of their own staff?
Just posing the question.... I don't know the answer...
I should have been more clear. Only a person lawfully authorised. No person/persons, whether acting on their own behalf, on behalf of their employer or a private parking company, whether they own the private land or not, can clamp a vehicle. A vehicle has to break a Traffic regulation to be clamped(by the police for example).Got a ticket from ParkingEye? Seek advice by clicking here: Private Parking forum on MoneySavingExpert.:j0 -
Thanks @ maninthestreet and Edward.... I get it now (blonde moment!)

DxI'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards