Getting post for someone never lived at address - MBNA Debt?

Options
124»

Comments

• sassy_one
    sassy_one Posts: 2,685 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    So you say they are £14k in debt and paying £800 a month; how do you know this?

Are you actually admitting to opening letters not addressed to you, and reading the contents? Which actually, beyond most people's beliefs is a criminal offence.

Furthermore, you say you receive "4-5 letters daily" yet you take 60+ letters one month you saved up, that's a lot different to 4-5 daily, so not sure how you work your maths out.

Finally, I find it very unlikely they'd be receiving such volume's of post.
  • sassy_one
    sassy_one Posts: 2,685 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Dengus wrote: »
    I'm receiving one of these letters per week at the moment. It used to be four or five per week.

Previous house owner is clearly running from debt and trying to hide. I found debt recovery letters under the bathroom lino when I lifted it to replace. The previous owner had £14,000 of debts to various companies and was paying around £800 a month to different companies. The neighbour refused to provide any information about where she and her husband had moved to but found out via Facebook it was 10 miles away.

They moved out in Feb 2017 and I saw the house listed for sale in August 2017, moved in 1st November and was told by the neighbour that the previous owner was here weekly to pick up mail before I moved in.

When I moved in at the start of November 2017 I was getting around 4-5 different debt recover related letters per day. I waited a month and took a massive pile to the post office (about 60-70 letters) which I was told just to write return to sender on them all.

Most have stopped but I still get about one a week from the above address. I have returned at least 20 over the last few months and am really sick of it. One arrived today and I have attached a leaflet for Specsavers to the back as well as writing the usual 'Return to sender'/'Does not live at this address'/'Sold this property to me via Your Move' etc.

From reading this thread I think my next move will be to save up a few of the letters and return them in a separate envelope without a stamp to cost them money. After that I'm going to bin the rest. I've wasted so much in petrol over the last 6-7 months going back and forth to the local letter box.

It's funny though, of all the debt letters received in Nov/December last year none of the mail received for the previous owners were Christmas cards from friends or family.

One other point, I have no idea why you have resurfaced a year old thread, instead of starting a new one.

School holidays
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,836 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    sassy-one wrote: »
    So you say they are £14k in debt and paying £800 a month; how do you know this?

Are you actually admitting to opening letters not addressed to you, and reading the contents? Which actually, beyond most people's beliefs is a criminal offence.

Furthermore, you say you receive "4-5 letters daily" yet you take 60+ letters one month you saved up, that's a lot different to 4-5 daily, so not sure how you work your maths out.

Finally, I find it very unlikely they'd be receiving such volume's of post.

No it isn't

It's an offence to open other people's mail for the purposes of a crime such as identity fraud. Simply opening the post is not
  • stehouk
    stehouk Posts: 412 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have a filing cabinet for all mine..........its blue and has a lid.........and its emptied once a fortnight.
  • wooziewalk
    Options
    First time on this forum. Been getting these over the last two years. Have written and called several times. We’ve lived here 20 years. Last week a bailiff turned up at 6.30am. Really horrid experience. Took photos of our council tax bill etc and seemed to understand. Yesterday got another bloody letter.......
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure