Getting post for someone never lived at address - MBNA Debt?

Options

Comments

• No_6
    No_6 Posts: 835 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We get letters from money chasers, after my daughters X husband, that owes a fair bit,
    never lived at my address but once opened a credit card under our address.
    ie that is where our address is linked to him.
    I just ring the company's up and they remove our address from their files,
    no more letters from them !
    before selling it on to another....
    = ground hog day

:) 6
  • Fingerbobs
    Fingerbobs Posts: 1,641 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 15 May 2015 at 10:38PM
    Options
    I occasionally get letters from debt collectors addressed to someone who has never lived at my address (like the original poster, I am only the second owner of the house, and I know the name of the previous owner).

I sent a few back "return to sender" which didn't stop them. I then worked out who the debt collectors were from the return address, phoned them, and told them, and they simply told me to bin any further letters from them - which I have been doing ever since. (They couldn't seem to grasp the concept that the addressee has NEVER lived at my address, and kept saying "it's probably a previous tenant" - I gave up correcting them. )

Telling the debt collectors that they have the wrong address is futile and a waste of time - just ignore the letters.

I have no idea how this random person came to be linked to my address.

Edit: Actually, come to think of it, I haven't had any such letters for a few months now - maybe she's finally paid off her debt!
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,555 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The OP has come back 2.5 years later and given themself advice to contact the action fraud team?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Craigie75
    Options
    NX1977 wrote: »
    Not sure if this is the most appropriate forum, if not staff please feel free to move.

For the last few weeks been getting post for someone who's never lived here. We're the 2nd owners of the house.

The mail has a return address of PO Box 189, Huddersfield HD8 1DY

All mail has been returned as not known at address, but as fast as they're sent back then more arrive.

Does any one have any advice?

I receive post from this return address, turns out it's not a debt collector but Park Christmas savings club
  • NX1977
    NX1977 Posts: 84 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    The OP has come back 2.5 years later and given themself advice to contact the action fraud team?
    Just seen someone has added to the thread and got an email update.

My reply on action fraud was to someone who's posts appear to have been removed, making it appear I'm giving myself advice.
  • samgirl21
    Options
    Hi
    I received mail from a similar PO box, but I'm concerned because the name on the letter looks fake - they have the exact same initials as me (my first and middle initial, and then a fake last name starting with the same letter as mine)
    e.g let's say that my initials are S L M, the name on the letter is written as Miss S L Matthews, which is very strange. It's not my last name, but my exact initials. I have written return to sender but do you think I should open it? Is there any way I would know if it's identify fraud?
  • chattychappy
    chattychappy Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    edited 13 August 2017 at 10:08AM
    Options
    Jinx wrote: »
    Looking at that link, its open to interpretation. Who has the detriment to you opening a seemingly correctly addressed piece of mail? I'd say a letter coming to your house about debt that is not yours is grounds for a 'reasonable excuse'; ...

128.Subsection (3) makes it an offence for a person, intending to act to a person’s detriment and without reasonable excuse, to open a postal packet which he knows or suspects has been incorrectly delivered to him.

s125(3) For the purposes of this Act— ... (c) the delivery of a postal packet (i) at the premises to which it is addressed or redirected, ..., ... shall be a delivery to the addressee.

As per my post #18 in the other thread (5 years ago!!) the packet HAS been correctly delivered if it is delivered to the address on the packet. The pink bit covers the situation where, say, the postman puts something through your letterbox by mistake and you open it.

Once an item is delivered to the address on the envelope you are outside of the scope of the Act. So no offence under that Act - no need for "reasonable excuse". There may be other offences (criminally damaging the envelope as you open it, theft etc), but these are technicalities!
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    samgirl21 wrote: »
    Hi
    I received mail from a similar PO box, but I'm concerned because the name on the letter looks fake - they have the exact same initials as me (my first and middle initial, and then a fake last name starting with the same letter as mine)
    e.g let's say that my initials are S L M, the name on the letter is written as Miss S L Matthews, which is very strange. It's not my last name, but my exact initials. I have written return to sender but do you think I should open it? Is there any way I would know if it's identify fraud?

No reason not to open it.

If you have concerns that get a statutory credit report from the three main agencies, this should show any records of credit being applied for in your name.
  • Dengus
    Options
    I'm receiving one of these letters per week at the moment. It used to be four or five per week.

Previous house owner is clearly running from debt and trying to hide. I found debt recovery letters under the bathroom lino when I lifted it to replace. The previous owner had £14,000 of debts to various companies and was paying around £800 a month to different companies. The neighbour refused to provide any information about where she and her husband had moved to but found out via Facebook it was 10 miles away.

They moved out in Feb 2017 and I saw the house listed for sale in August 2017, moved in 1st November and was told by the neighbour that the previous owner was here weekly to pick up mail before I moved in.

When I moved in at the start of November 2017 I was getting around 4-5 different debt recover related letters per day. I waited a month and took a massive pile to the post office (about 60-70 letters) which I was told just to write return to sender on them all.

Most have stopped but I still get about one a week from the above address. I have returned at least 20 over the last few months and am really sick of it. One arrived today and I have attached a leaflet for Specsavers to the back as well as writing the usual 'Return to sender'/'Does not live at this address'/'Sold this property to me via Your Move' etc.

From reading this thread I think my next move will be to save up a few of the letters and return them in a separate envelope without a stamp to cost them money. After that I'm going to bin the rest. I've wasted so much in petrol over the last 6-7 months going back and forth to the local letter box.

It's funny though, of all the debt letters received in Nov/December last year none of the mail received for the previous owners were Christmas cards from friends or family.
  • scott_lithgows
    scott_lithgows Posts: 1,424 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Dengus wrote: »
    I'm receiving one of these letters per week at the moment. It used to be four or five per week.

Previous house owner is clearly running from debt and trying to hide. I found debt recovery letters under the bathroom lino when I lifted it to replace. The previous owner had £14,000 of debts to various companies and was paying around £800 a month to different companies. The neighbour refused to provide any information about where she and her husband had moved to but found out via Facebook it was 10 miles away.

They moved out in Feb 2017 and I saw the house listed for sale in August 2017, moved in 1st November and was told by the neighbour that the previous owner was here weekly to pick up mail before I moved in.

When I moved in at the start of November 2017 I was getting around 4-5 different debt recover related letters per day. I waited a month and took a massive pile to the post office (about 60-70 letters) which I was told just to write return to sender on them all.

Most have stopped but I still get about one a week from the above address. I have returned at least 20 over the last few months and am really sick of it. One arrived today and I have attached a leaflet for Specsavers to the back as well as writing the usual 'Return to sender'/'Does not live at this address'/'Sold this property to me via Your Move' etc.

From reading this thread I think my next move will be to save up a few of the letters and return them in a separate envelope without a stamp to cost them money. After that I'm going to bin the rest. I've wasted so much in petrol over the last 6-7 months going back and forth to the local letter box.

It's funny though, of all the debt letters received in Nov/December last year none of the mail received for the previous owners were Christmas cards from friends or family.

just mark them as "gone away" and stick in a postbox at your own leisure.
    Burn any one that might have a plastic card inside.if they are still getting hold of the cards somehow,this means they have they have to inform sender of new address
    Good luck
    I have a deep burning indifference
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family