PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Mould in washing machine drawer!

Options
13»

Comments

• Commuter101
    Options
    With a degree in Microbiology I can confirm that the spores for black mould are everywhere and it is likely that all washing machines will develop a mould problem at some point. The washing temperature is irrelevant as modern machines are all cold-feed.
    However, the presence of mould on very new washing machines (2-3 months old) clearly points to an endemic contamination problem in the manufacurer's factory that needs to be addressed by the manufacturer, especially since this mould is responsible for serious health problems (carcinogenic and highly allergenic causing fatigue and respiratory problems).
  • mrsBagpuss
    Options
    sillygoose wrote: »
    This is exactly the reason for it. The steam from the the hot fill used to clean the drawer by itself.

Bythe way thats what I use now, a steam cleaner to blast the mould away, works well and avoids any chemicals that could get into your next wash.

what a great idea, I'm going to try that tomorrow. Thank you
  • melanzana
    melanzana Posts: 3,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    This is definitely not a thread for the Slobladies!

If any of them got down on their knees to look UP, under the detergent dispenser drawer to see what's going on there, they would be banned!

I think OP is a Flylady! Not like me, sadly.
  • bluebag
    bluebag Posts: 2,450 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It happens to all machines these days due to cold fill, nothing to worry about. Just put the machine on an empty service hot wash 95C occasionally without any soap powder or bleach or anything.

The black stuff is just mildew and will come off with a good scrub and hot soapy water. Leave the drawer and drum door slightly ajar when empty to increase the airflow. It will keep happening. I also wipe the drum seals over with a damp cloth after each load.

I just deal with it about once every two months.
  • Rsorgedrager
    Options
    Greetings,

The mould is being caused by the Fabric softener. Due to its ingredients and the fact its slightly greasy it sticks to your draw after being dispensed. the reason boil washing and such does very little is because your machine fills with cold water from the drawer and is heating down at the bottom by a heating element. The best way to avoid this is to quickly rinse out your drawer after every wash.. you will notice the mould will stay away, Another alternative is to avoid using softener!

hope this helps
  • amibovvered
    Options
    Greetings,

The mould is being caused by the Fabric softener. Due to its ingredients and the fact its slightly greasy it sticks to your draw after being dispensed. the reason boil washing and such does very little is because your machine fills with cold water from the drawer and is heating down at the bottom by a heating element. The best way to avoid this is to quickly rinse out your drawer after every wash.. you will notice the mould will stay away, Another alternative is to avoid using softener!

hope this helps

Rubbish. I get this, and I have never used softener!
    I want my sun-drenched, wind-swept Ingrid Bergman kiss, Not in the next life, I want it in this, I want it in this

Use your imagination, or you can borrow mine!
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,318 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 17 January 2017 at 5:22PM
    Options
    I always used to get mould in my old machine.
    When I had to replace it, just over two years ago, I was advised to leave the drawer and door open when not in use so any moisture could evaporate.
    I always do this and haven't had any black mould since.
    (And I use fabric softener in every wash!)

Just noticed that this is an ancient thread that has been randomly resurrected by a new poster :wall:
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £460
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • Rsorgedrager
    Options
    Rubbish. I get this, and I have never used softener!

You may not specifically use a softener, however many detergents include it in their product.. for example Ariel with a touch of lenor.. I have stopped using softener months ago when my drawer and the surrounding bits were completely covered in mould. Since then I have not needed to wash my drawer and its pretty much spotless.. what kind of detergent do you use ?
  • Pop_Up_Pirate
    Options
    I regularly use a 90 degree wash and still get a mouldy drawer, which I just clean with bleach.
    I also put bleach into my machine as these so called 'machine bleaches' cost a fortune.

The drawer only gets mouldy if I use conditioner and then don't wash it out but this never happened in my old machine.

I think its something to do with using conditioner and cold fill machines.
  • JoyKF53
    Options
    If you clean the drawer thoroughly and then put one dessert spoon of washing soda in the drawer with the powder/liquid with every wash you will not get the black build up. I was told this by the shop where I bought my machine and it works! I also put soda in the drum once a month and put it on a very hot wash to clear any limescale.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure