E'ON increasing my DD by 25%!!

Options

Comments

• shopinitis
    Options
    Hello All, thanks for all the helpful comments.

Helena from E'ON has been extremely helpful and has taken into consideration the fact that over the full year my DD has covered my bills and also a recent change in personal circumstances means I expect that my usage will drop a little over the next year and agreed not to increase my DD. I have agreed to continue checking the bills regularly and providing meter readings to ensure that my payments are still covering my bills overall and if not I shall make (a) single payment(s) to remedy this or ask for another review of my DD payments. Many thanks :T
  • claire4ricky
    Options
    I can beat yours. My electricity supplier is going to increase my direct debit to £179 from £79. they have estimated that my electric for the winter will be £800 for the six months. ( works out £1074) a Guess im going back to paying on receipt of a bill then. :mad:

OMG this happened to me yesterday.
    Got an email from British Gas saying my elec would go from £66 to £82!! a month.
    I've never paid £82 a month for leccy, even in the coldest months, they put the gas up too.
    I used to give them the metere reading every month them they's generate the bill and it would come out via DD BUT then i foolishly decided to switch to fixed DD's as i wanted the same payment to go out every month to keep better track of my money.

Big Mistake, I was happy that they wanted £66 for electric as that's what i worked it out to, but now they changed it and they were sticking to their guns so i told em to get stuffed and to put me back onto variable DD pronto.

Bloody cheek! This happend to me ages ago with Npower, i was on fixed for months then they decided to tell me i wasn't paying enough and sent me a bill of over £500 :eek: it was a most stressful year for me :( I vowed never to do fixed payments again (well no more after this time!)
  • mamamo
    mamamo Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    omg... just recieved a letter saying that eon are increasing my monthly DD from £116 per month to £183..... what a joke:mad::(:(:(:(
  • nzmegs
    nzmegs Posts: 1,055 Forumite
    Options
    You me and everyone else it seems. My increase is from £142 to £224!!! dual fuel.

This is too much of an increase and more than I have ever had to pay per month ever. By £80. I am on a fixed deal so increases in prices shouldn't account for it.

I have been with Eon only for six months so they are estimating my bills based on winter rather than summer. Gonna try calling them.
  • redmalc
    redmalc Posts: 1,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I am in the same position,increasing my gas DD by 70%
  • Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    mamamo wrote: »
    omg... just recieved a letter saying that eon are increasing my monthly DD from £116 per month to £183..... what a joke:mad::(:(:(:(

Hi mamamo

I do understand increases like this can come as quite a shock. Thought it might help if I gave a brief outline of how we work out Monthly Direct Debits and let you know about a new facility we've just introduced.

Although we're continuing to review Direct Debits regularly, you'll only see a maximum of two changes, if necessary, in any one 12 month period. These will be at the annual review and the mid-point date.

Payments will be based on past usage and current prices. The aim is to achieve as near to a zero balance as possible by the time of the annual review.

For accuracy, it's always best to use actual meter readings rather than estimates. Make sure your latest bill isn't estimated. If it is, let us have up to date meter readings. We'll be happy to re-bill your account and re-assess the monthly payments.

When working out the payments, we also take into consideration any outstanding balance that may be on the account as a result of under paying in the past. This is spread over the number of months up to the next annual review and included in the new monthly amount.

Was there a debit balance on your account at the time of the review? If there was, this will have contributed to the increase.

We're conscious customer's circumstances change and this may well have an impact on their usage before the next review. If you feel this applies to you mamamo, we'll be happy to look at your payment arrangement again.

In fact, if you've registered with our website, you can do this yourself by logging in and going to the new Direct Debit Manager.

This lets you change the monthly payments by up to 20 per cent up or down, provided the account is billed up to the latest meter readings. Or, up to 5 per cent up or down without readings.

Before completing the change, though, we'll let you know how much we anticipate the account will be in debit/credit by the time of the annual review if the change is confirmed but the usage doesn't alter accordingly.

Hope this is of interest.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Options
    nzmegs wrote: »
    You me and everyone else it seems. My increase is from £142 to £224!!! dual fuel.

This is too much of an increase and more than I have ever had to pay per month ever. By £80. I am on a fixed deal so increases in prices shouldn't account for it.

I have been with Eon only for six months so they are estimating my bills based on winter rather than summer. Gonna try calling them.

Hi nzmegs

Like mamamo above, this is quite an increase.

Much of what I've put in reply to mamamo may apply to you so hope it's of interest.

As you say, as you're on a Fixed Price tariff, unit prices won't change until the contract ends. I suspect, therefore, the increase will be down to our projected usage, a balance on the account or a combination of both.

We calculate Direct Debits over a 12 month period. As you've only been with us for 6 months, we'll build into the calculation an allowance that takes into consideration seasonal variations.

As you're unhappy with this, the Direct Debit Manager I mentioned above sounds ideal for you. If you've registered with our website, I'd suggest having a look at this.

Malc
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    Options
    redmalc wrote: »
    I am in the same position,increasing my gas DD by 70%

Hi redmalc

Hope the above couple of posts are of interest. Let me know if there's anything specific to your increase. Will be happy to advise.

Malc
  • nzmegs
    nzmegs Posts: 1,055 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks malc,

I discovered the direct debit adjustment online thingy. I was able to reduce my payments by 20% and am awaiting confirmation via letter that this will have taken effect. I believe i will use significantly less over the next six months and should make up the shortfall.

It would be helpful for E.ON to make it clear that they adjust prices each six months. I wasn't aware of this point. I would have been a little more prepared and ensured my balance was zero at this time - perhaps by paying a little more over winter to compensate.

In the past, my suppliers have been more than willing for me to be in debit at the end of the winter and I am surprised that your expectation is that the balance should be zero in June (after a cold winter).

This is especially surprising considering I was in credit for a significant portion of the early part of the year and didn't ask for that money back from you...seems a little unfair not to offer the same in return.
    Options
    Hi nzmegs

Glad you found the Direct Debit Manager ok. Just thought I'd clarify a couple of things.

We don't necessarily change the Direct Debit every 6 months. We continue to review payment arrangements after every quarterly bill. Only if it's out of kilter will we look to make a change and then only twice in each 12 month period. This will be at the annual review and the mid-way point.

The aim is you don't pay too little or too much. Regular meter readings will help increase the accuracy of the calculation.

If all is ok and payments are covering usage, no changes will be made no matter when the arrangement is reviewed. We will, though, let you know before making any changes.

At the quarterly reviews either side of the annual/mid-term points, we'll let you know if payments are out of kilter and suggest a change. At these points, it's entirely your choice whether or not you make a change.

Annual reviews aren't necessarily always in June. It depends on when the Direct Debit was initially set up. For arrangements set up in, say, November, the annual review will be 12 months after this.

Also, we'll automatically refund any credit over a fiver at the annual review.

Hope this makes things a little clearer nzmegs. Let me know if you need any more info as will be happy to help.

Malc
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure