Redundant on 30/11/12 - what can I claim, and when please?

Options
Hi, I suspect the obvious answer is NOW or ASAP, but just thought I'd post on here.

It is my last day at work on Friday 30th November, as our team has been decommissioned and we are being made redundant as part of the local council's budget cuts.

What am I entitled to claim please. how/where and any other advice would also be greatly appreciated.

I am single and live in a rented council flat. I already get single person discount off my council tax.

Do I out in a claiming for housing benefit and council tax benefit with the council (doh), but what about signing on?

I have been luck and worked full time for the last 10 1/2 years so am petrified at signing on again.

I believe you can apply for benefits / JSA online instead of going to the job centre (on Monday 3rd Dec for me :( ) then they phone you up and ask you to go in?

What type of benefits can I get please?

Sorry for the questions, like I said, I have been fortunate enough to have had a job, but am now being let go and am panicing about what I am entitled to.

(as well as feeling sick to the stomach at being out of work).

Thank you for reading, please help.

:(

Comments

• jobseeking_help
    Options
    Hi, I suspect the obvious answer is NOW or ASAP, but just thought I'd post on here.

It is my last day at work on Friday 30th November, as our team has been decommissioned and we are being made redundant as part of the local council's budget cuts.

What am I entitled to claim please. how/where and any other advice would also be greatly appreciated.

I am single and live in a rented council flat. I already get single person discount off my council tax.

Do I out in a claiming for housing benefit and council tax benefit with the council (doh), but what about signing on?

I have been luck and worked full time for the last 10 1/2 years so am petrified at signing on again.

I believe you can apply for benefits / JSA online instead of going to the job centre (on Monday 3rd Dec for me :( ) then they phone you up and ask you to go in?

What type of benefits can I get please?

Sorry for the questions, like I said, I have been fortunate enough to have had a job, but am now being let go and am panicing about what I am entitled to.

(as well as feeling sick to the stomach at being out of work).

Thank you for reading, please help.

Rochdale_guy

Very sorry to read of impending redundency. Can I suggest that you apply on line for JSA on Saturday 01/12/12. As soon as you apply the sooner your claim can commence. The JSA new claim should also incorporate a claim for Housing Benefit as well.

It is a scarry place to be. I do think of job-seeking as a job in itself and the same skills you used in your employment are the same ones you will use to get yourself a job. Project Manage this task. Use your initiative and think of all possible routes you can get to employers whether it's responding to adverts, speculative approaches or posting your CV onto sites for employers to contact you. Get your support mechanisms in place, people who can help, offer advice or just to use as a sounding board.

Getting a job is all about selling. Explain to employers how you meet their needs.

Go hard in jobseeking as soon as you can. You may want to take it easy at first but that will be a mistake. The longer one is unemployed so the more difficult it gets to gain employment.

All the best
  • Rochdale_Guy
    Options
    Rochdale_guy

Very sorry to read of impending redundency. Can I suggest that you apply on line for JSA on Saturday 01/12/12. As soon as you apply the sooner your claim can commence. The JSA new claim should also incorporate a claim for Housing Benefit as well.

It is a scarry place to be. I do think of job-seeking as a job in itself and the same skills you used in your employment are the same ones you will use to get yourself a job. Project Manage this task. Use your initiative and think of all possible routes you can get to employers whether it's responding to adverts, speculative approaches or posting your CV onto sites for employers to contact you. Get your support mechanisms in place, people who can help, offer advice or just to use as a sounding board.

Getting a job is all about selling. Explain to employers how you meet their needs.

Go hard in jobseeking as soon as you can. You may want to take it easy at first but that will be a mistake. The longer one is unemployed so the more difficult it gets to gain employment.

All the best

Hi, many thanks for that nice reply, I am sorry I seem to have overlooked it and not responded sooner, no offence okay?

I have a duplicate thread running here:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4292667&highlight=

Thanks for the help/advice, I will apply online first thing Saturday morning (1st Dec), if I have stopped weeping like a wuss by then from the night before.

Cheers :beer:

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family