Would you use a neighbour's broadband?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Money Saving Polls
85 replies 14.2K views

Replies

• machtzumachtzu Forumite
    73 Posts
    OK, I'm sure many of you will laugh at this question but - how do I know if my wireless connection on my laptop is secure?!
    Linda

Double click on the Wireless Icon andif its secured it will show a padlock by the two computer icons.
    JB MIEEE MIET
  • Been there and done it. I would never try and hack in to their PC but if they are going to give me an open connection then I will use it.

So if you saw a car unlocked with the keys in the ignition you'd take it for a spin would you?
    This country is called Great Britain. It would be called Amazing Britain if it wasn't for people like you pulling the average down
  • catalonia13catalonia13 Forumite
    493 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    machtzu wrote: »
    Double click on the Wireless Icon andif its secured it will show a padlock by the two computer icons.

MANY thanks, happy (relieved!) to say it is secured!
    I'd kinda assumed it was, it's a Bt thing and I did whatever it said to do when I set it up but when Martin raised the question I began to wonder!
    Linda
    Make the most of life, it is not a rehearsal!
  • Been there and done it. I would never try and hack in to their PC but if they are going to give me an open connection then I will use it.
    So if you saw a car unlocked with the keys in the ignition you'd take it for a spin would you?
    That's not really a very fair comparison, it doesn't cost them anything extra for you to share their connection, it will reduce their bandwidth a little but unless both of you happen to be downloading or uploading at the same time the difference will probably be negligible. I know a few people that have been known to "borrow" broadband for their wireless laptop, but in each case it's businesses that have left their bandwidth unprotected
    why borrow when you can get from sky or orange for free........ if i foiund some cheeky so and so was doin this to me on a regular basis i would go nuts.........
    Because from Sky or Orange it's NOT free for a lot of people, unless you happen to be spending quite a lot per month with them for other things
    I'd call the police and have them prosecuted, it's both theft and fraud at my expense
    Well good luck with that, I don't think it's either (if you're just borrowing their bandwidth), and it would also be quite hard to prove I would have thought...
    Thanks to all who post constructively.
    H
    ave an A1 day!
  • When we were having terrible problems with our wireless Btinternet we found that we could connect to next doors unsecured network. We went and told them tis and their reply was that they had not got round to securing it and they were happy for us to use it. So we did use it until we manged to get out of our BT contract and onto one that works. I would not dream of using it without permission, to me its like walking into someones unlocked house and helping yourself to their goods. Just because some people dont lock their houses/internet does not make it right to steal from them
  • JBEILBYJBEILBY Forumite
    42 Posts
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Heard on the Steve Allen Shown on LBC this morning that two people have been charged with an offence of using WiFi to obtain electronic data fraudulently. So if you can't be good be careful!!!
  • tbg_2tbg_2 Forumite
    42 Posts
    A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

A young loner on a crusade to champion the cause of the innocent,
    the helpless, the powerless, in a world of criminals who operate above the law.
  • Dead_Eye_JonesDead_Eye_Jones Forumite
    739 Posts
    ✭✭
    was reading the Metro (a London free paper) this morning, 2 people are currently being prosecuted for unauthorised use of wireless connections, one of them was busted parked outside the dudes house with a laptop!!

So its kind of a short debate really, its illegal, therefore society says 'no'. Come on people, play the game!

If I knew which neighbour it was, Id warn them if the opportunity arose.
    Debt: a bloomin big mortgage

all posts are made for entertainment value only, nothing I say should be taken as making any sense and should really be ignored
  • nim_2nim_2 Forumite
    33 Posts
    machtzu wrote: »
    My friend who lives a few doors down found neighbours on both sides had open wireless networks, every router seems to have the user/pass admin/admin so he managed to screw around with their network switching the broadband off and locking them out of the router until they realised they ought to have it protected.

Stupidity is never a defence...

Stupidity is also not a defence against a Computer Misuse Act prosecution. In this case its a pretty open and shut case - if he was charged for this he has all the points going against him - unauthorised access to a computer system (the router), unauthorised modifications to data on the system (the configuration changes).

He could well be looking at time in jail.

Tell people that they have a problem, offer to help them fix it, but cracking their system is way across the legal line.

Additionally, a side effect of the judgement on the guys using WiFi without authorisation, is that it probably strengthens the chances of you being culpable if your wireless network is unsecured and used for nefarious purposes (and many people who were collected up in the Operation Ore fiasco a few years back will tell you thats no joke - those that didn't commit suicide that is).
  • NosmigNosmig Forumite
    22 Posts
    Nothing truly original to add - perhaps a different slant on things ...
    1. Using someone else's wifi connection is theft. Are you happy to be a thief?
    2. Are you a neighbour or a good neighbour? There's too much 'help-yourself-to-what's-not yours' so at least tell them about security. Would you prefer to be ignorant or informed?
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST MSE NEWS AND GUIDES

Cut overdraft charges

10 tips to pay less for your overdraft + how to pay it off

MSE Guides

FREE tennis coaching

Find your nearest session and pre-book your place online

MSE Deals