MSE News: Ban PPI firms from cold calling, Citizens Advice says

New Post Advanced Search

MSE News: Ban PPI firms from cold calling, Citizens Advice says

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Reclaim PPI & Other Insurance
18 replies 2.6K views
Former_MSE_HelenFormer_MSE_Helen
2.4K posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Reclaim PPI & Other Insurance
"Nine in 10 have been contacted out of the blue by claims management firms in the past year, says the charity..."

Replies

• I had THREE yesterday.....
    Two of them started out with an out and out lie ..... that they have information that..... they don't I have NEVER had PPI (I don't understand how anyone can, don't people actually read contracts?)
    One of them was basically a Press 5 to proceed with your PPI.... pure blackmail as no doubt they will then try and hold me to pay some exorbitant fee based on me pressing 5....

I am really starting to detest these people..... even though I realise the actual person making the call is some poor schmuck trying to get paid work instead of claiming benefit.....

My phones are on the TPS list...... and STILL I get these calls,
  • dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    102.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm on TPS. Still get them
    I'm an IFA and they still tell me I was mis-sold (even thought I cant be)

The lies they tell to get their commission makes them worse than the banks.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • CRISPIANNE3CRISPIANNE3 Forumite
    706 posts
    Seventh Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper Car Insurance Carver!
    ✭✭
    We sometimes get International calls about ppi but my junk email box is inundated with these ppi companys. No sooner do I block one of them a whole load more appear.

No doubt the next big thing will be the Savile saga and companys bombarded us with emails on a no win no feel basis.
  • steve-L wrote: »
    I have NEVER had PPI (I don't understand how anyone can, don't people actually read contracts?)

If you had ever been in the position of desperately needing a loan when you were not absolutely prime as far as the market was concerned, youm would understand how people bought PPI. What many on here do not seem to realise (and the banks deny it of course) is that the hard sell was such that you felt afraid to refuse because if you did refuse you were sure the loan would be turned down. If you raised any reason that might have meant you were ineligible for PPI, you thought the loan would be turned down too. So you just signed up even though you did not want to. That's how it was. Twice, in our case.
    [STRIKE]Vanquis £2994.71[/STRIKE] [STRIKE] Aqua £1941.13[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]Capital One £970.77[/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]Barclaycard £1599.58[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]Oxendales £847.62[/STRIKE] [STRIKE] Luma £200[/STRIKE] [STRIKE] Marisota £77.72[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]Overdraft £1491.30[/STRIKE] Loan £7000 Husband's Barclaycard £10,000 [STRIKE] Husband's Mastercard £167.30[/STRIKE] Husband's loan £8409.86 [STRIKE]Husband's Overdraft £1036.32[/STRIKE] Business credit card £3000
  • ''Citizens Advice chief executive Gillian Guy says: "People should give cold callers the cold shoulder and go direct to their bank if they want to make a claim for PPI. ''

Sorry?

She's obviously not seen the recent news..

(Google it and read the article..it's very interesting!)
    BBC WATCHDOG HAVE SAID:

''Banks rejecting legitimate mis-sold PPI claims?

Despite banks setting aside billions to repay claimants of mis-sold PPI - seemingly legitimate claims are being turned down.''

*** If you want to make a PPI claim I would suggest using a no win no fee company that are registered by the ministry of justice (MoJ) and one that charges a fee of 25% +VAT or less. Companies that charge 25%+VAT will for example take £300 for every £1000 claimed back. I think this is a fair rate... They have done all the hard work and it's better then getting rejected when making a claim by yourself direct with the banks and lenders.***

Just search on Google for National PPI companies or Local companies with good reputations!

Don't pay any upfront fees as they are not neccessary and you will most likely not see the money again.

Just be sensible, do your research and be sceptical!

Ask questions and dont be afraid to speak your mind..

:beer:
  • Ban them - YES - in total.

BUT they can provide some amusement during the ad break on Corrie. By nature I am a jovial funny laid back guy who just wants a laugh. (I have held some good jobs though)

My latest is to ask them for their home number so I can call them later in the night. Most put the phone down but recently 2 spent about 3 mins going to and fro to their manager to check whether they could give me THEIR home number. Based on ''you've got mine so ....etc''

Recently I had some loan details written down (all false) and spent 5 mins + telling the person all these details and at the end said ''actually its all made up'' I was told to F somewhere as the phone went dead.

Google ''cold calling responses'' and enjoy - if you can avoid wetting yourself !!!!:rotfl:
  • smk77smk77 Forumite
    3.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I spent 10 minutes on a PPI call playing stupid. First of all, I told the caller that I didn't know what PPI was. After making him explain to me (a number of times of course) I then expressed my thanks for him helping me out. I then got put through to their 'expert' who would help me further. When I got though I was told that the company was call PPI Claimline and then followed this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20068927
  • steve-Lsteve-L Forumite
    13K posts
    worried48 wrote: »
    If you had ever been in the position of desperately needing a loan when you were not absolutely prime as far as the market was concerned, youm would understand how people bought PPI. What many on here do not seem to realise (and the banks deny it of course) is that the hard sell was such that you felt afraid to refuse because if you did refuse you were sure the loan would be turned down. If you raised any reason that might have meant you were ineligible for PPI, you thought the loan would be turned down too. So you just signed up even though you did not want to. That's how it was. Twice, in our case.

I guess I was fortunate.....
    I never had a loan until 6 months ago and that was not needed but because I need a mortgage and to get that at a good rate I need a credit history.

I was brought up that you NEVER EVER borrow money.... end of story..instead you do without.... though this was then mitigated to allow for mortgages!
    Even then my mortgage was only 50%

However, now having a kid I can see how/why people need things.

When I was going for the mortgage I still had companies pressuring me for PPI, I just made it clear if they mentioned it again I would take my business elsewhere.

In the same way I had building society managers trying to sell me cashback mortgages.... etc.
    I made it very clear if they mentioned it again I was taking my business elsewhere.

I have just submitted to pressure over a work pension....
    Basically I pay 2 years and this all gets given to a third party company who did nothing except 'recommend' an off the peg fund.
    So I lose 2 years pension for no reward!!!!!

What can I do.... I either refuse a pension or take what's offered!
    Its stupid, the company that get 2 years of MY MONEY even got my name and DOB wrong! 1986 vs 1968..... and say they selected a pension based on my criteria!!!!
  • I'm getting upto 20 texts a day regarding PPI. Surely there is a way of stopping them:mad:
  • Johnmcl7Johnmcl7 Forumite
    2.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    keIra wrote: »
    I'm getting upto 20 texts a day regarding PPI. Surely there is a way of stopping them:mad:

You can report the texts to your network, I think each one has a number to report to (Vodafone's one is vspam) although admittedly I've never found them to be much use. When I first heard of the service I used it for all the spam texts I was receiving but I've stopped bothering as months after I was still receiving exactly the same messages which were obviously spam.

As for the TPS as far as I'm aware they're pretty much toothless at least according to a documentary earlier in the year (BBC I think?) which looked into some of these companies and found despite the large number of complaints, the TPS had so far done nothing.

I'm sick of the calls and texts about PPI as I've never had a loan and never had PPI on the credit card I use plus even if I ever had taken out PPI I would not be using a company that cold called me.

John