Universal Job Match at http://jobseekers.direct.gov.uk

Options

Comments

• Buellguy
    Buellguy Posts: 629 Forumite
    Options
    MagWag wrote: »
    I have been trying to get into the new site all morning but every time I click the 'start' button I get a page with this message: HTTP Error 400. A request header field is too long.

Anyone else having this problem?

I can check for jobs - but still having a problem logging in
  • Kirito
    Kirito Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    Yes but on Reed no one but you can see the jobs you have applied for as its data protection so the same applies here surely

And someone posted a printed hand out that they got from the job centre and it said if they registered here they would not need to bring in a hand written register of jobs applied for but thats assuming this new site has every job in the world advertised on it and as we can see it's just the same as the old job seekeres direct website showing only jobs advertied on the dwp site not linking it to any other sites at all.
    So we are still going to have to write down all the other jobs we apply for and that then in itself is a lie when they say you do not have to do so. Maybe I will ask if I get a similar letter given to me.

The option to say why you never applied may relate to jobs your adviser can highlight for you to apply via your acct when they log into it and you have to say why you didn't apply like 'my skills are not a match' etc and they then may ask you about this later.

Well that's what I've been told? :?

Clearly my 'adviser' isn't well informed then
  • ED-209
    ED-209 Posts: 32 Forumite
    Options
    Where has the North West gone? don't see it listed.

I am having to click on job links twice to get them to display.

Most jobs are not listing the hours of work in the description. All that seems to be listed is if the job is full or part time, temporary or under 30hrs.

This seems a massive backward step.
  • Eltheza
    Eltheza Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    john539 wrote: »
    Where is the rest of the country ?

Yes, I'd quite like to know that;)! I don't seem to be covered.

I was offered the option today to sign up on the spot for Universal Jobmatch. Fortunately, I had some prior knowledge - quite a lot of it gained from here.

I said, 'No, thanks, I don't believe it's mandatory, and there are unresolved data protection issues.'

Maybe a bit extreme, but he's got some valid points:

(I had to remove a link as I'm a new member. No problem. Johnny Void is quite good on this topic.)
    "Be yourself; everybody else is already taken." (Oscar Wilde) ;)
  • john539
    john539 Posts: 16,966 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Boxerlover wrote: »
    I might ask the DWP to sign a declaration that in the event that they (or any of their "partners") lose or have hacked any of my personal details they will pay me £10,000 in compensation and signing this declaration is MANDATORY if they insist I agree to their terms and conditions.
    weeta_bix wrote: »
    I think you might be on to something here, at least as a back up if it turns out it really is mandatory.

I don't see that there is any statutory obligation to do this, unless the re-write jobseekers agreements. I am going to re-read our data protection laws.
    Ask JC advisor to confirm in writing something is mandatory.

That way they put themselves on the line.

One thing they are good at is covering their backs & jobs.
  • ajdj
    ajdj Posts: 567 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Did the old site display salary info for the jobs? I'm yet to find anything advertised that even hints at the salary on offer.

I am seeing a lot of apprenticeships for 16-24 year olds (therefore not applicable to me), self employed opportunities or worse still commission only sales roles.

Everything else would appear to be minimum wage type roles.

I'm more than happy to acknowledge that I will have to take a pay cut to get back into work, however a minimum wage job would reflect a 65% pay cut and would be unlikely to utilise the skills that I have worked hard to acquire over the years. Am I within my rights to refuse to apply for a job based on salary or would the job centre force me to?
  • denideth
    Options
    Just signed on and my adviser 'introduced' UJM to me. I was given a leaflet which says "uses the latest technology to help you find jobs that are right for you" "receive emails and alerts when new jobs that match your CV are posted" and "record all your job search activity in one place making it easier to discuss it with your adviser". Seems more like a euphemism booklet to me but hey-ho.

She said it was mandatory (however I may enquire with someone further up the line if this bares any truth) and gave me a small card where i am to write my user ID on once i have signed up which i must then return to the jobcentre on my next signing date. "it allows us to log in and see if you are applying for jobs that are available".

I'm an honest job seeker, yet there's something very Big brother about this new move.
  • MissSarah1972
    Options
    denideth wrote: »
    Just signed on and my adviser 'introduced' UJM to me. I was given a leaflet which says "uses the latest technology to help you find jobs that are right for you" "receive emails and alerts when new jobs that match your CV are posted" and "record all your job search activity in one place making it easier to discuss it with your adviser". Seems more like a euphemism booklet to me but hey-ho.

She said it was mandatory (however I may enquire with someone further up the line if this bares any truth) and gave me a small card where i am to write my user ID on once i have signed up which i must then return to the jobcentre on my next signing date. "it allows us to log in and see if you are applying for jobs that are available".
    I think you have to provide a user name but do not give them the log on
    I'm an honest job seeker, yet there's something very Big brother about this new move.
    I think you have to give them a user name to prove you have registered the CV there but they are not allowed to log in unless you consent as its a data protection issue. This is open to abuse if they can log in as you!
  • ajdj
    ajdj Posts: 567 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    So do you have the option when registering to grant them access?

If not and access is automatically granted then surely it looks just as bad registering and not using the service as the job centre will deem you to be 'not actively looking for work'.
  • MissSarah1972
    Options
    ajdj wrote: »
    So do you have the option when registering to grant them access?

If not and access is automatically granted then surely it looks just as bad registering and not using the service as the job centre will deem you to be 'not actively looking for work'.
    I do not know as I have not registered untill I am told to by law to do so and I will not grant them permission to log in AS ME as they then could apply for jobs, compromise my info, delete applications maybe and all sorts.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure