Amazon £7bn sales, but no tax! Should we boycott Amazon this Christmas?

Options

Comments

• Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,285 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    So they make use of tax allowances by basing their head office elsewhere, no different ti lots of other big companies.

It's a lot worse than that - it's ruthlessly manipulating profits so that they escape UK tax.

Yes - others do it too. Boots, for example, Starbucks. That doesn't make it right, though. These companies want all the benefits of trading in the UK without the responsibilities that go with it. Leeches - and the rest of us have to make up the hole in taxes that they create. Or put up with a poorer NHS, worse roads, and a general decline in infrastructure just to benefit the shareholders of these companies.

You might think that's OK. Anyone with any sense of morality would disagree.
  • Basil1234
    Basil1234 Posts: 1,146 Forumite
    Options
    Doc_N wrote: »
    It's a lot worse than that - it's ruthlessly manipulating profits so that they escape UK tax.

Yes - others do it too. Boots, for example, Starbucks. That doesn't make it right, though. These companies want all the benefits of trading in the UK without the responsibilities that go with it. Leeches - and the rest of us have to make up the hole in taxes that they create. Or put up with a poorer NHS, worse roads, and a general decline in infrastructure just to benefit the shareholders of these companies.

You might think that's OK. Anyone with any sense of morality would disagree.

so doc N quick question you don't like the moralities and what there doing here in the uk and the rest of the uk are paying apart from keep putting the same old thoughts what have you done apart from boycott these shops? have you written to your mp or no.10 to get the loopholes closed down you don't agree with or organized a petition at all?

also what do you think to the story of the woman who all started this i haven't heard you make a comment about this at all?
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/businesslatestnews/9668396/Margaret-Hodges-family-company-pays-just-0.01pc-tax-on-2.1bn-of-business-generated-in-the-UK.html

its all like the question if they spent the money took for road tax and fuel duty and actually spent it on the roads we would have some of the best kept roads in the world, but i bet if they did that and then jacked up income tax and you saw a huge increase you would be then complaining about that what i'm trying to get at here is what have you personally done to sort this injustice as you see it?

also what you see as a resolution in a global free market where businesses can base where they like or if it becomes to expensive for them they just go else where? bit like the big banking in London and all parties are terrified of them leaving as it generates 11.2% tax for the whole uk in 2010 which was £53.4billion!

only reason i say this i have been made redundant 3 times on all 3 occasions work has gone abroad because they where cheaper but i can't stop that, i wonder how you plan to do by just moaning in a forum? asking people to stop buying it just won't work people will always go where it is cheapest for them and easiest.
    my case in point my sister is ordering a dvd for my birthday as we speak she is getting it from amazon for those 2 reasons as no one is putting money in her pocket at the end of the day morals cost money but i don't see you providing a solution yet.

i look forward to you reply/solution

basil :beer:
  • Doc_N
    Options
    Basil1234 wrote: »
    so doc N quick question you don't like the moralities and what there doing here in the uk.............

................i look forward to you reply/solution
    basil :beer:

Long question. Quick answer. Avoid using companies that avoid tax.

Starbucks - simple to avoid. Likewise Boots. Avoid Google click-throughs. Even Amazon are pretty easy to avoid.

It's not perfect - nothing is. But if enough people do it it starts to hurt companies. Starbucks have reacted already! :rotfl:
  • Treevo
    Treevo Posts: 1,937 Forumite
    Options
    Would that be the Starbucks based in Seattle? Or the franchises in Britain which have little if nothing to do with the corporation that structures its tax in such a way?

Those boycotting are either too stupid or too selfish to make the distinction.
  • Basil1234
    Basil1234 Posts: 1,146 Forumite
    Options
    Doc_N wrote: »
    Long question. Quick answer. Avoid using companies that avoid tax.

Starbucks - simple to avoid. Likewise Boots. Avoid Google click-throughs. Even Amazon are pretty easy to avoid.

It's not perfect - nothing is. But if enough people do it it starts to hurt companies. Starbucks have reacted already! :rotfl:

so your only answer is avoid using them people power (Wolfie smith) but don't change the law to close it all down sounds abit like ofcom toothless and powerless sorry think you completely wrong here just sound like someone trying to shout the odds abit carry on shouting i just went deaf!
    btw starbucks was a token payment of taxes 20mil is small fry that is just to save a bit of public face and you sucked it up hook line and sinker and imho Nothing has changed and you never answered the original question. guess you don't like the real truth only what suits your views just the same as levison inquiry.

the bit you did not answer
    also what do you think to the story of the woman who all started this i haven't heard you make a comment about this at all?
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/b...in-the-UK.html

anyway Wolfie you got your blinkered views i got mine and that was law should be changed but some people haven't got true gumption only the right to shout and moan and do nothing as normal.

power to the people :rotfl:
    It does not work :beer:

basil
  • Doc_N
    Options
    Treevo wrote: »
    Would that be the Starbucks based in Seattle? Or the franchises in Britain which have little if nothing to do with the corporation that structures its tax in such a way?

Those boycotting are either too stupid or too selfish to make the distinction.

Unfortunate, really, for the franchisees - they get caught in the crossfire.

It all affects Starbucks Seattle adversely, though. Lower ongoing franchise payments, and the capital value of the franchises available to sell in the future also falls.
  • C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,657 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I will not be boycotting amazon since they are acting within the law and provide an excellent service and great value.
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • zenseeker
    zenseeker Posts: 4,550 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I bet people like Doc N use these forums to exploit loops holes in offers/deals all the time, but it's OK if we do it.
    We have removed your signature - please contact the forum team if you are not sure why - Forum Team
  • tomasb66
    Options
    I am rather surprised that anyone using this site believes that our professional politicians are smart enough to frame laws to solve this problem.
    I've worked for American multinationals ,they employ accountants and lawyers for the sole purpose of confounding politicians and tax collectors.
    When Starbucks volunteered to contribute a bit more back it was a response to the 'Wolfie Smiths ' and not to some select commitee .
    They know they will always be able to run rings round the politicians and their ill framed laws.
    The customers who walk past and spend money at the competition are a much bigger problem for them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure