We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Sweet potatoes advice

Options
just been sent an email form a gardening company advertising sweet potatoes. I am intrigued as I use quite a few in place of normal potatoes, but the price puts me off.

Could I use shop bought sweet potaoes and chit like you do normal potatoes, or do I have to do something special?

Thanks

Louise
The sign of a wasted life is a tidy house, Welcome to the chaos!

Comments

• Jayar
    Jayar Posts: 735 Forumite
    Options
    Now there's an interesting thought. I did a quick google and came up with this
    http://www.barfoots.co.uk/page63.html
    Think I may give it a go myself. thanks.
    A friend is someone who overlooks your broken fence and admires the flowers in your garden.
  • katskorner
    katskorner Posts: 2,972 Forumite
    Options
    Hmm. Always wanted to grow sweet potatoes as we eat lots of them. didn't think they would grow well in the UK. Wonder if the ones you buy to eat will serve well enough as seed?
    3 kids(DS1 6 Nov, DS2 8 Feb, DS3 24 Dec) a hubby and two cats - I love to save every penny I can!
    :beer:
  • ajaxgeezer
    ajaxgeezer Posts: 2,476 Forumite
    Options
    Only one way to find out KK..... I'll be having a go :dance:
  • louise_1981
    louise_1981 Posts: 1,118 Forumite
    Options
    to answer my own question, I must have googled the wrong word earlier, as I have now found loads.

This has much more detail and advice

http://www.urbanext.uiuc.edu/veggies/sweetpotato1.html
  • nodwah
    nodwah Posts: 1,742 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks , I never thought to grow these, I guess if you had a polytunnel it'd be fairly easy. Any one found suppliers in th euk?
    Just call me Nodwah the thread killer
  • nodwah
    nodwah Posts: 1,742 Forumite
    Options
    Just had a quick look and you can get them at T&M and organic catalogue for about£12 for 10. I couldn't really cope with that many!
    Just call me Nodwah the thread killer
  • louise_1981
    louise_1981 Posts: 1,118 Forumite
    Options
    yeah I thought T&M were a bit expensive. I was going to try with supermarket bought ones. nothing ventured nothing gained.

Louise
  • pboae
    pboae Posts: 2,719 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I found this article on growing them, if you scroll down a few posts there is a really comprehensive article on them, with loads of pictures.

I am wondering how big a container they would need. I have a huge greenhouse that I don't make enough use of, and these would be ideal, but I would have to container grow them.

I have rubble sacks that I am using for new potatoes but I don't think they will be big enough, so maybe black rubbish bins would be better. It sounds from that thread like the tubers tend to grow downwards rather than spread outwards.
    When I had my loft converted back into a loft, the neighbours came around and scoffed, and called me retro.
  • teapot2
    teapot2 Posts: 3,273 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Would LOVE to try growing sweet potatoes, have read all thread and articles linked but still a bit unclear as to whether its ok to use a sweet potato from the supermarket to try and get 'slips'? I know you can chit ordinary tatties from the shops but not sure re sweet ones. Wouldn't want to spend that much on buying them ie over the £10 quoted as I live north of the border and weather can be tricky but we are in a sunny spot so will give it a go if shop ones can be used - don't want to encourage pest/disease though. Anyone know the answer?

Thanks

Teapot
  • tomterm8
    tomterm8 Posts: 5,892 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    teapot2 wrote: »
    Would LOVE to try growing sweet potatoes, have read all thread and articles linked but still a bit unclear as to whether its ok to use a sweet potato from the supermarket to try and get 'slips'? I know you can chit ordinary tatties from the shops but not sure re sweet ones. Wouldn't want to spend that much on buying them ie over the £10 quoted as I live north of the border and weather can be tricky but we are in a sunny spot so will give it a go if shop ones can be used - don't want to encourage pest/disease though. Anyone know the answer?

Thanks

Teapot

If you are going to grow it in a large container, it is fine. If you are going to grow it in your soil, I'd go for a commercial slip.

If you live in the north, you will need to grow them in a greenhouse / polytunnel.
    “The ideas of debtor and creditor as to what constitutes a good time never coincide.”
    ― P.G. Wodehouse, Love Among the Chickens
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport